INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server crashes.  (Read 1775 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Media Server crashes.
« on: October 28, 2003, 04:00:01 pm »

I had media server working yesterday, but I suddenely can't keep it running.  The client can connect for a few moments, but it then stops responding and the server has a "media server has generated errors and will be closed" message on it.

I also notice that even in the few moments that it IS working (between 5 seconds and a minute) the album images don't display on the "playing now -- track info" screen.  The images DO appear in the AW, when mousing over the files, and in the 3D visualizations, but not on the playing now screen, where I see a little red "X" instead.  This, however, is a small issue compared to the fact that media server crashes anyway.

Are there any suggestions on what I can do to get this working?  I tried going from 289 to 290, then back to 289.  I then uninstalled MC from both systems and installed 290 again, but I just keep getting the Media Server crash.

I'm using W2K on both systems.

Thanks,

Larry

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Media Server crashes.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2003, 04:03:59 pm »

What else has changed on the PC?  New software or hardware?

If you reverse the client and the server is the problem still the same?

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2003, 09:10:04 pm »

NO other changes -- the only changes were to MC itself.  I was on 289 on the client and 290 on the server, and I noticed that the cover art wasn't showing up on the "Playing now/track info" page on the client -- I just got a little red "X" instead.  I was NOT, however, getting Media Server crashes.  I thought that the different MC versions might be causing the cover art problem, so I installed 290 on the client.  This is when the Media Server crashes started, and they haven't stopped since.

I tried going back to 289, then uninstalling and installing 290 on both systems again, but now I can't stop the crashes.

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2003, 09:41:44 pm »

Tried reversing client and server and got the exact same behavior -- same error message that Media Server had to be closed.

I also tried 291 with the same results.

Is it possible that this has something to do with W2K -- i.e. has it been verified that it works on W2K as opposed to XP?

Have other people confirmed that you CAN see album art in the playing now window from the client side?

The thing that I just don't get is that other than upgrading MC, nothing was changed.  There must be some other things I could try.

Thanks again,

Larry

lOth

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2003, 09:57:06 pm »

same crashes here, although I've been able on occasions to play music on the clients for more than 10 mins before it happened.

Server: MC 9.289, WinXP
Client: MC 9.260, WinME

The problem clearly started with the upgrade to 9.289 on the server.

As for the missing cover art in track info, it's a problem that I've always had since I've started using Media Server, that is a long time and many builds ago.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2003, 12:40:03 am »

IOth,

THANK YOU for taking the time to post and confirm this behavior.  I've been tearing my hair out looking into this thinking that it was unique to my system, so it's a big help to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this -- not just the crashes, but the album art issue as well.  I never tried Media Server before, so I don't know about earlier versions working okay.

Just to add to this, there "may" be a pattern to how long it takes Media Server to crash on my systems.  When I select "all" in the genre window (or at least a genre with a very large group of songs) the crashes seem to occur more rapidly.  If, on the other hand, I simply pick a single album, I can play the songs for a much longer time before the Media Server crash.  This is by no means scientific -- it just "feels" like a pattern at this point in my experimenting.  There also "seems" like there might be a link between trying to access the album art and quicker crashes.

If you could, try playing different size groups of files (i.e. bringing up "all" genres and playing a few songs in the list) and see if you find any relation to large groups of songs that end up in "playing now" and more frequent Media Server crashes.

By the way, are you using W2K or XP?

Can anyone confirm that using the latest versions of MC (289, 290, or 291) does NOT cause Media Server crashes at some point when playing songs from the client?  Also, can anyone confirm that they ARE seeing album art from the client when looking at the "track info" page of the "playing now" window?  I'm wondering if there just aren't that many people playing songs via Media Server, making it take a while for these problems to be confirmed by more people.

JimH -- thanks for looking into this.  Please let me/us know if you have any other questions that might help you guys find and answer to this issue.

Thanks again,

Larry

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2003, 11:04:53 am »

Try the next build, I think I fixed this.

j

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2003, 02:35:52 pm »

Try the next build, I think I fixed this.

j

You mean the next one AFTER 291, correct?  I still see 291 as the latest build (and I'm already using it), so I wanted to make sure that you're referring to a build that hasn't been posted yet.

Thanks,

Larry

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2003, 02:43:52 pm »

Correct, the next build that comes out (probably 292).

j

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2003, 07:42:37 pm »

When you say you think you fixed this, are you referring to the crashes, or to the cover art problem as well (where the "track info" page of the client's playing now screen does not show cover art.)

Thanks again,

Larry

Robert Taylor

• Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2003, 10:46:34 pm »

The cover art in Trackinfo Templates problem seems to come and go...Some builds it's broken, and then magically it works again, only to break again somewhere down the track...

Pop some nice peaceful music on, light some scented candles or incense, and have a nice hot bath. If it breaks don't thrash yerself, just wait for another build, it'll be fixed one day 8-)
Cheers
Rob

Shadowen

• World Citizen
  • He was but a shadow of his former self...
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2003, 12:45:40 am »

Just downloaded 9.1.292 and the problem is gone.

Thanks!

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2003, 12:52:42 am »

Just downloaded 9.1.292 and the problem is gone.

Thanks!

-amwoza

Did you get this off an ftp site or something?  I just checked the forum headers and the latest release is still 292.  Is 292 actually ready?

Thanks,

Larry

Larry

Shadowen

• World Citizen
  • He was but a shadow of his former self...
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2003, 01:48:51 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up