INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "By Rip Date/By Album" view scheme  (Read 2835 times)

Dave T

• World Citizen
"By Rip Date/By Album" view scheme
« on: November 02, 2003, 03:20:25 pm »

Is there a way to create a view scheme that shows me my albums, grouped by rip date?  I like to play music in albums, and I'd like a way to easily go back and view all the albums I bought last week, or last March 17, etc.

I asked this before, a while back, and was told it would be in version 9.   But, the only way I can see to do this is to create a view scheme on "Date Created".  This gives me a different node in the view scheme's tree for each ~time~ that each mp3 was ripped.  This isn't useful to me - isn't there a way to do it by date (and not time)?

When it includes the time in the grouping, the effect is that each mp3 gets its own node in the tree.

- Dave

Dave T

• World Citizen
Re:"By Rip Date/By Album" view scheme
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2003, 04:19:12 pm »

Anyone?

Marty3d

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2003, 05:59:49 pm »

It doesn't seem to be any solution to this, I've asked for a similar thing for ages. My request was to view songs, not by ripping date, but by imported date. And grouping these types of dates doesn't work at all...unfortunately :(

/Martin

Dave T

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2003, 06:17:05 pm »

Well, rats.  I was assured it would be in 9.1.  Is the ability to view by dates, which includes the time, the proposed solution?  Is that useful to anyone?  

eruji

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2003, 11:20:08 am »

Not sure how to do this, but would it be possible to add a custom field to the database and use the calculated data to parse out the date from the date imported field?

like i said, i dont know how to use calculated data option, im hoping you can use it this way? anyone?

Dave T

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2003, 07:08:24 pm »

Good idea!  I'd love to try it, but I have a dumb question: "How do you create custom fields"?  I've never done this.  I can't find anything in the help explaining how.  Am I blind?   I see references to "custom fields" in the help file, but nothing about how they're created.

Can someone tell me how, or (even better), just tell me where custom fields are documented?

Thanks.

- Dave

Rudy

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2003, 10:23:33 am »

hey dave

Awhile back, I created a custom field called Import Date. I basically fill it in as I import stuff. The files that were there before, I went by the created date. I only use month and year. I set it up like this:

http://www.rjrmusic.com/mc1.gif

In Tools, Options, Tree & View there's a list of fields; at the bottom click the Add button, ready to go.

hope this helps

marketability

• World Citizen
  • eat!
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2003, 05:51:51 pm »

I'm with Rudy

I created a user field and enter "year_month" for each album I rip eg. "2003_10" that way when I group by the field they sort in the right year / month order

Marty3d

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2003, 06:01:44 pm »

It's a solution...still clumpsy though. It would be better to be able to use the date fields as they are, with grouping and sorting etc.

One smart solution would be to have all date fields the same, and let the user specify how she would like to see them (2003-10-01, 2 days ago and so on)

MC10 perhaps? :)

Dave T

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2003, 06:34:40 pm »

Ok, wait a minute.  Would this involve manually setting the rip date field, for each song in my database?  My database is a fraction of the size of many here, I'm sure.  But, even with my lilliputian database, doing this manually would take ... oh, about 74 years.

What about using a "calculated" field?   I don't see any documentation on how your format calculated fields.  If there was a way to take the existing rip date field, and format it to just show dd/mm/yy, I'd be all set.  But, if I have to manually enter the rip date - no thanks.

- Dave

Rudy

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2003, 05:21:16 am »

Yes, right now it means doing them manually. And yes, it is roundabout and a PITA. I think Nila, and others, have been asking about a feature like this for awhile now, so in the meantime I guess it's how bad you want to make it work on your own.

I had started keeping track of dates in the comments field - I had probably less than 20% of my library tagged. So with using what I had in the comments field or going by the Date Created field , it wasn't that hard to go back, group them and put in a date. I tagged around 18k files, and got the majority of it done in a weekend. YMMV.

I really wanted this capability, so the time put in was worth it, and updating things as they come in is not a hassle, or time-consuming, for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up