INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Backing up? (& dissapearing MC problem)  (Read 1265 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
Backing up? (& dissapearing MC problem)
« on: November 03, 2003, 10:19:57 am »

Hi Everybody :)
I was posting a lot on the Dissapearing MC thread a while back, and wanted to say how i finallly solved the problem but hte threaqd has been locked, so just for finality;
MC was crashing within 10 seconds of loading, or if I minimized.

I reinstalled my computer and formatted it many times, searched for new drivers for each componant of my computer, and generally stressed for a couple of months, trying to figure out what was going on.

The problem turned out to be a virus. A virus had knocked my computer out previously and I reformatted and reinstalled windows thinking all would be well. But the virus stuck around, and caused all kinds of crazy ****. So thanks to all who posted to try and help me, and sorry. I realise this isnt a windows help forum. And perhaps my problem stretched the limits of acceptibility.

Now MC is again waking me up, synching my ipod, with all kinds of cool features, like smartlists for music that i havent heard recently etc. and am very happy again. ;D

About backing up:
I spent too many months ripping my cd collection to want to do it again. I want to back it up, but if i write the files to cd or dvd, all the cool calculated fields like "last played" etc will be hopelessly out of date if I ever need to copy the files back accross, right?

It's all too easy to loose files, so I thinkthis is kind of a pressing problem. Any solutions?

Thanks JRiver team.

LonWar

Re:Backing up? (& dissapearing MC problem)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2003, 11:06:59 am »

I use Norton ghost to take an image of my hard drive and I keep that safe on another drive.

Ghost shouldn't cost alot and it's a great program.
-

jleerigby

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2003, 02:25:46 pm »

I just use Win XP pro's built in Back Up Utility to copy the files on to a separate drive.  The separate drive is in a removeable hard drive caddy to give me protection against theft or fire.

If I were backing up my system partition to enable a quick recovery I'd get Ghost too but since I'm just backing up a load of music files and documents Back Up Utility does the trick.

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2003, 08:34:38 pm »

How often do you back up? How long does it take?
It's be cool if it worked like MC's Ipod synch, just updating the tags after the initial backup.

Infact, it would be wicked if MC had this functionality. ;) :)

jleerigby

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2003, 10:40:58 pm »

How often do you back up? How long does it take?

I back up once a month or more often if I've made a significant number of changes / additions.  It takes about 1.5 hours to back up my 115GB.  I run it as a scheduled task while I'm asleep.

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2003, 07:37:34 am »

By WinXP back up utility, do you mean the "files and settings transfer wizard"?

Thanks,

Bri

jleerigby

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2003, 08:47:08 am »

By WinXP back up utility, do you mean the "files and settings transfer wizard"?

Thanks,

Bri

Start> Programs> Accessories> System Tools> Backup

I don't know if it's in XP Home or just Pro.
Pages: [1]   Go Up