INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ANN: Open Source cell phone MC control application with album cover art support  (Read 5977 times)

Streaker

• Recent member

I have modified an existing Open Source cell phone remote control application to 1) support MC, and 2) to display album cover art for the currently playing track.  

Check out the full details, and download the initial version at:
http://www.lilacsoftware.com/Bemused

With the app you can:
  • Display current track info including Album Cover images
  • Navigate the MC Tree
  • Queue songs and playlists
  • Control - Stop, Play, Pause, Next, Prev, FF, Rew, Random, Repeat
  • Download song files from MC to the phone
  • Navigate the Playing Now list
  • Make the MC app window go full screen
Note: This is a separate cell phone app than the one recently discussed --Great minds think alike! ;D This app is designed for Symbian OS phones such as the Nokia 3650, and works over Bluetooth, Infrared or TCP/IP.

Screenshot

When using Bluetooth, the range is great.  I have to go into my neighbor's yard before the signal fails....  And the Bluetooth response time is extremely fast (~.5 second on first connect and neglible on commands after the first connect)

So you say you don't have a Nokia 3650 or other supported phone??? The 3650 can normally be had for free when signing up for 1yr T-mobile or ATT.  The phones a bit large compared to some, but comes loaded with features like Bluetooth, PDA functionality, camera (still and video), and Java support.

Enjoy, and Long Live MC!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Hi Tom,
Great news!  I have a Nokia phone with Bluetooth, so I think it may work.  I'll check it out.  Thanks for your work.

Jim

Wobbley

• World Citizen
  • What a bum rap for a nice, sensitive guy like me

Where are you seeing the Nokia 3650 from T-Mobile for free with 1yr contract?  I see a price of $149.99 after $150 mail-in rebate from T-Mobile.

Thanks,

Wobbley

fex

I just don't believe this. I thougt my iPaq with NetRemote is up to date. Now I'm able to get it over my phone. I'm getting really old... ;).

But I will try it! Thanks.

Streaker

• Recent member

Where are you seeing the Nokia 3650 from T-Mobile for free with 1yr contract?  I see a price of $149.99 after $150 mail-in rebate from T-Mobile.

Thanks,

Wobbley
I got mine from Amazon:
Amazon Nokia 3650 free after rebate
If that link bombs, just go to Amazon and search for 3650
It's after rebate, so there is the "rebate gamble" factor.  I submitted my rebates about two weeks ago, so I won't know for another two months about the success of the rebates.

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen

Maybe I'm just being really stupid, but when I run the server program, it only gives me options for Winamp 2 and 3, Windows Media Player and Powerpoint. How do I configure it for Media Center??

Streaker

• Recent member

Maybe I'm just being really stupid, but when I run the server program, it only gives me options for Winamp 2 and 3, Windows Media Player and Powerpoint. How do I configure it for Media Center??

When the server program is run the very first time, it runs through a setup wizard to get the initial settings.  The wizard doesn't yet include MC as a choice.  Instead, you can basically "Next" through all of those screens to bring up the actual program window where you should be able to set "Default Application" to J River Media Center".

Here's a screenshot of a portion of the main dialog:

Or are you saying that you got past the first wizard and are on the main dialog and there is no "J River Media Center" choice in the Default Application field? That would be a bug.

Streaker

• Recent member

It seems that there is a bit of interest in the app with MC, which is great.  I'll endeavor to create some better documentation about using the app with MC.  It's hard to be motivated to document when the only known user is yourself. :)

For starters, the Bemused website and the readme.txt file in the download contain the main docs for using Bemused.

Also, here are some tips on getting the Bluetooth connection working smoothly:
  • In your PC bluetooth adapter configuration screen, it's useful to create a separate "virtual serial port" than the one you use for other Bluetooth apps (such as the Nokia PC suite app) so that those other Bluetooth apps can communicate at the same time as Bemused.
  • In the phone client app, once you get the bluetooth connection working for the first time, you can set the option to have it auto-connect to the last server.  This can be set under Options->Settings->Behaviour->Connect to PC (set to Auto to Same PC).  Then it just rapid-connects without any dialogs the first time a command needs to be sent to the server.

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen

Nope, you're OK, it was just me :-)

I was thrown by the fact that the wizard was asking me about other stuff, and never went all the way through!

Doesn't look like I'll be using it though - the P800 client just causes my P800 to crash :-(

Streaker

• Recent member

Doesn't look like I'll be using it though - the P800 client just causes my P800 to crash :-(

Currently, my "cover art enabled" version of the phone client is only compiled and working for Nokia 3650 and 7650 (and possibly the Nokia N-Gage), which all run under the same Symbian OS flavor that I have in my 3650.  The P800 runs under a Symbian OS variation called UIQ, which has different graphics libraries that I can't test without having the P800.

However, you should still be able run the official P800 phone client that doesn't include my album cover art support from the actual Bemused homepage.  This will give you MC control but cover art support will be unavailable. You'll want to select a skin other than 'coverart' if you've already switched to 'coverart'.

Check the official site for the download:
Look for Bemused v1.71 for UIQ (Sony Ericsson P800)

I'm in commuciation with the Bemused author, Ashley Montanaro, about the possibility of getting my changes put into his main code, and if that happens, it's likely that he/I/someone will complete the changes to making the cover art portion working under the P800.

In the meantime, let me know how it works out if you try the official P800 client.

NoCodeUK

Any possibility of this working with the T68i?  I know it is possible as the i can be used to control the mac and iTunes and can have two way communication with the i showing cover art, playlists and next track info...if it could that would be way cool.  I cannot afford a P800 and I don't like the rounded buttons on the Nokia.  Certainly cannot afford a mac and then wouldn;t be able to use MC anyway :)

Cheers

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen

I was trying the official P800 client  :'(

It just doesn't work for me. I was trying at home first with USB, and that just made the phone crash.

Eventually I managed to get some kind of connection over bluetooth on my work PC, but still didn't get it as far as actually working...

Probably just my crappy BT drivers or something.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Probably just my crappy BT drivers or something.
Try a google search for information on this.  I did it when I was having trouble getting a Nokia phone to communicate with their own software (PC connection something) and it turned out that I had to get the firmware updated by a local Nokia repair center.  Then it worked.

madom

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile

@Streaker

http://www.lilacsoftware.com/Bemused is not available anymore. Where can I still get this thing?

Cheers
m.
Pages: [1]   Go Up