INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: samsung yepp yp-30sh  (Read 2504 times)

yepperdoo

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
samsung yepp yp-30sh
« on: November 10, 2002, 06:00:17 pm »

Hello.  Is a plug-in being developed for the samsung yepp yp-30sh handheld digital audio player?  If not, what can I do to help initiate that process?

Thanks,
-P

juggler

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: samsung yepp yp-30sh
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2002, 12:24:53 pm »

I'm also interested in this. Would also look at developing something myself if someone can point me at info on how to access the YEPP and how to integrate with MJ...!

yepperdoo

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2002, 08:36:29 am »

Exactly.  Thus far, I haven't found any online documentation for how to do this.  This would certainly be an opportunity for media jukebox to distinguish itself even more from its musicmatch counterpart.

juggler

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2002, 08:45:04 am »

There is a Yepp plugin in the handheld plugins section. I downloaded it and it appears in my MJ but bombs out (looks like null pointer). I guess this is for a different player -- but written by JRiver. I've done more hunting on YP-30S specifics today with no joy.

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2002, 12:09:11 pm »

The Yepp Plug-in is for the Yepp 20 series of players. Unfortunately it is not compatible with the 30 Series. There is a Software Developer's Kit for the 30 Series but RioPort wants an enormous sum of money for it which makes it cost prohibitive.  

Sorry.

Steve (JRiver)

juggler

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2002, 11:51:42 pm »

Steve, thanks for the info. I don't understand why it's so hard to find info on how to integrate with the mp3 players -- one would have thought they want people to integrate!! Anyway, are there any other avenues we can explore? For example, I read some stuff about USB snooping and writing own drivers, etc. How easy is it to talk direct to the existing Yepp device driver (again can find no info about it)?

I want to be able to create 128Mb playlists that I can easily dump to the player from MJ. The Yepp Explorer and Rioport software are both crap and would force me to organise stuff physically on the disk!

Thanks for your time,
Alfie.
ps. MJ still the best IMO!

SteveG

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2002, 05:02:01 am »

Juggler,

There might be other avenues to explore but they are very time consuming and difficult and uncertain. I say this after pursuing this for the iPod. At a certain point we have to weigh the resources required to win the war against the lack of effort for the Player manufacturers to want us to succeed. In the case of the Yepp, at this point it is not worth it.

yepperdoo

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2002, 11:58:21 am »

I sent the following inquiry to Samsung.  If I receive a reply, I will post it here:

There is a popular music management software product called Media Jukebox, which supports directly uploading mp3 files to mp3 players.  Unfortunately, the YEPP-30SH, which I own, is not supported.  I was informed that the reason it is not supported is because Samsung has set a prohibitively high price on the SDK necessary to add this functionality.

As an end user, this is very frustrating.  It certainly does not compel me to purchase additional Samsung mp3 players nor to recommend them to my friends.  I am a software developer and would like to create a YEPP plug-in for the Media Jukebox software.  If I am mistaken about the cost of the SDK, please provide me with more accurate information so that I can pursue development of this plug-in, which I believe would be of mutual benefit.

If the SDK is not freely available to developers who wish to support Samsung mp3 player products, please let me know, so I can make this information available to other consumers.

Thank you.

SteveG

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2002, 12:22:30 pm »

Yepperdo,

Thanks, I hope your message helps.

Steve

yepperdoo

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2002, 06:24:22 am »

Below is Samsung's reply to my message.  Consequently, I am forwarding my original inquiry to SamsungUSA.  I will continue to update this forum with my progress.

Dear Sir

Thanks for your concern and interest.
There are two organization, first one is HQ in Korea,
and second is abroad office.
Therefore, we'd like to ask you contact Samsung center near you for more quick service.
You can get more detail and vivid sales and marketing information from there.
We are regret to say that here can only handle domestic and other strategic issues in HQ side.
Thanks for your understanding.

USA SEA (Samsung Electronics America, Inc.)s
Addres 105 Challenger Road Ridgefield Park, NJ 07660
Telephone 201-229-4000 (800-SAMSUNG)
Fax201-229-4110
URL http://www.samsungusa.com

USA SISA (Samsung Information Systems America, Inc.)
Address99 West Tasman Drive San Jose, CA 95134
Telephone408-544-5400
Fax408-544-5403
Thanks for your concern and understanding.
Have a nice day!! ^^*
Best regards,

yepperdoo

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2002, 06:39:26 am »

This white paper describes the Media Device Manager (MDM) architecture and device driver kit (DDK), which can be used to add portable audio player capabilities to products such as Media Jukebox:
http://www.rioport.com/RioDevWhite/1,2061,,00.html

SteveG

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2002, 04:42:07 am »

Yepperdo,

Thanks for the updates. The RioPort SDK is what I used to implement support for the Yepp 20 series of players. The problem is that the 30 series uses a modified SDK that RioPort wants to charge us a huge fee to use. If Samsung can intercede on our behalf to get us the SDK, that would be great. Until now, they have been unresponsive.

Thanks again for your help.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up