INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't Burn CD as XP Power User  (Read 1285 times)

micbean

• Recent member
Can't Burn CD as XP Power User
« on: November 04, 2003, 06:09:55 pm »

I have MediaJukebox 8.0.399 running under Windows XP Pro SP1 that is a member of an NT4 domain containing about a half dozen users.  MediaJukebox works flawlessly with any user defined as ADMINISTRATOR for the XP workstation.  However, those user defined as POWERUSER are unable to burn discs.  The drive settings are greyed out and no drives are listed.  If the user is upgraded to ADMINISTRATOR, CD burning is available and works perfectly.  However, once downgraded back to POWERUSER, the drives disappear and CD burning is no longer possible.

I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling MJ but that doesn't help.   I seem to recall a post here a while back describing these symptoms but I don't see a posted solution.  Any suggestions?

My system is a Compaq Presario 8000 AMD Althon XP @ 1.66 GHz with 512MB and a Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW/CR-RW.

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re:Can't Burn CD as XP Power User
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2003, 12:10:17 am »

This is a MJ limitation which has been sorted out (AFAIK) with Media Center 9. So your SOL with MJ8...unless you bump it back up to an administrative level account.

10-27

micbean

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2003, 07:39:06 pm »

Xen-Uno,

Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, I downloaded the MC9 trial and it has the same "bug," or "feature"...  CD burner shows up ONLY if the user is an ADMINISTRATOR.  Not good.

It is just plain unacceptable to have all users be ADMINISTRATORs.  After using MediaJukebox for a couple of years, I really hate to leave it behind in the dust, especially since MC9 looks pretty darn cool now that I've installed it, but I am not willing to compromise system security just for CD buring.  It seems hard to believe that such a well designed product doesn't support user rights.

So, how can I contact TECHNICAL SUPPORT to check for a workaround, or worse, verify that there is no plan to correct this?

xen-uno

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2003, 07:59:06 pm »

"I am not willing to compromise system security just for CD buring"

I hear you, mic.  This issue has been tossed around alot in the past, but (once again), I thought MC addressed this (no one has brought this up over there yet...that I remember). Switch over to the MC9 forum and ask your question there where it will receive more attention. These forums ARE tech support, and the powers that be are present most of the time.

10-27

xen-uno

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2003, 10:42:47 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up