INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC phone homes - why can't they be disabled?  (Read 1747 times)

kragorn

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
MC phone homes - why can't they be disabled?
« on: November 05, 2003, 02:22:48 pm »

I'm looking to replace MusicMatch by Media Center but find the following from the FAQ concerning:

"MEDIA CENTER will dial up upon start up to:
1. Download useful Web pages once a week.
2. Check for Updates. To disable this feature, select Settings> Options> StartUp Settings and deselect "Check for updates"
3. Request YADB information."

While it tells you you can disable 2 and 3, 1 appears to be un-stoppable.  Why?  What "useful web pages" are there for playing CDs?  Is this pop-up ads under a different guise?

Seems odd to me.  :o

LonWar

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:MC phone homes - why can't they be disabled?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2003, 02:27:52 pm »

No Nothing like that.

When playing a cd, if you click  Playing Now  - Artist info    it will goto that artist in allmusic.com. It is a very cool site.

Also you can goto the MC webpages from within MC.
I have used this program since June and it has never accessed the internet for something bad....
-

jleerigby

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2003, 02:41:04 pm »

And to add to imjustagamer's comment I can assure you that I've never seen MC connect to the internet without me asking it to - it's no different to MMJB in that respect.  However it's a LOT different to MMJB when it comes to playing and managing your media.  I was a big fan of MMJB and stuck with it up to v7.5 but it's not in the same league as MC.  Good luck with the change over - you'll not look back.

kragorn

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2003, 02:47:38 pm »

I appreciate what you both say and clearly items 2 and 3 in that list I quote from the FAQ cover those types of web activity .. it's the weekly downloading of "useful web pages" I'm asking an explanation for as I see absolutely no application for "useful web pages" being downloaded once a week, a feature which the FAQ indicates can't be disabled. ?

JLee: indeed, MC does look to be considerably more advanced than MMJB, but I don't intend to use software which phones home without my ability to disable it ... hopefull JRiver will provide me with a satisfactory explanation. :)

LonWar

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2003, 02:51:11 pm »

All I can tell you is that I am using Nortan Internet Security and I get asked if I wish to let a app connect. I have not seen anything fishy.

I would actually like to know what they mean by Downloading web content, I have never seen this happen.
-

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2003, 03:23:29 pm »

The start page gets refreshed weekly.

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2003, 03:52:41 pm »

You can disable #1 (sort of)...

MC>Tools>Options>Startup>Startup Page>any selection other than Start

...unless it's doing an update behind the scenes (though 'gamer's machine suggests otherwise, if that's what he meant by "fishy")

10-27

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2003, 05:24:26 pm »

To clarify...

One of the nodes in the MC tree is labeled "Start". If you click on this node, you are presented with a very simple webpage that shows some information about MC, with links to FAQs, etc. It also used to show some featured artists, and some products that could be purchased (through Amazon, I believe).

The only way MC tries to refresh these pages is if you manually right click on the Start node and choose the option to "Update Webpages". If you don't do this it will only ever show the default page, and it never bothers you about updating. I could be wrong, but I think if you have it configured to automatically check for updates, those webpages may be included in that check.

So you can calm your fears. MC will never "phone home" on you unless you specifically tell it to, or have it configured to automatically check for updates.

modelmaker

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2003, 07:06:22 pm »

I concur with all the previous post here. Media Center has never accessed the internet without asking me first. There is no adware anywhere on MC and NOTHING will be downloaded without your permission. You have TOTAL control. Most of us start up on a page other than the "start-up page"(which choice you can make) and probably can't even remember what it looks like. MC is all about your choices, you choose how it looks and behaves.

Don't Worry, Be Happy! We are. :)

Listening to: 'Get Em Out By Friday' from 'Foxtrot' by 'Genesis' on Media Center 9.0

Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

kragorn

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2003, 06:25:40 am »

Doof: thanks for that explanation, I now understand ... pity the FAQ leaves the issue un-resolved.  Okay, I'm happy MC can be told not to do this as well.

Thanks all .. I find paranoia helps using the web. ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up