INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT: What did windows media player do to my files?  (Read 1738 times)

akmed

• Recent member
  • It's better to burn out, than to fade away....
OT: What did windows media player do to my files?
« on: November 06, 2003, 01:56:54 pm »

I regrettably ran windows media player for some reason, instead of MC.  I don't remember why, not important.

What I discovered is all my media files in "my music" were slowly having their last modified date changed while windows media player was open.

I dug in options and found the "monitor folders" option was set for that directory under the media library tab.

Much to my surprise, WMP9 was not simply updating the last modified date, it was actually changing files.  They all increased in size slightly.  Looking at the tags, I didn't see anything different.  I captured a before and after file, did a fc (file compare) but there were too many differences to be of use.  I feel victimized, like someone snuck in and rearranged my underwear drawer.

Anyone have an idea what WMP9 may have done?  Was it putting some big brother serial number on each file?  Was it munging the data so the playback of mp3's sounds worse than wma's?  

--kurt

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re:OT: What did msft media player do to my files?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2003, 02:02:52 pm »

>> I feel victimized
Arn't we all?

>> like someone snuck in and rearranged my underwear drawer.
Mine needs someone to do that.

> Anyone have an idea what MP9 may have done?
added a padding is my guess this allows tags to be saved faster the second time arround.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

phelt

Re:OT: What did windows media player do to my files?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2003, 04:09:15 pm »

Sounds like WMP is adding its own tag data. Dunno if MC can show these tags. You could try a 3rd party tag editor to see what has been added and possibly remove these tags. It would be important to be selective, so as not to delete tags that MC may have set.

I like MP3 Tag Studio, but I'm not sure it's the right editor for this situation.

A couple of free tag editors that look pretty good:

MP3TAG
ID3-TagIT
You might want to get the older version of ID3-TagIT if you do not already have the .NET famework installed.

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2003, 04:38:49 pm »

It could have DRM'd them. My brother (unwisely) installed the WMP9 beta on his comp, and I came along and made a data CD out of some of his media files. Well...the CD was unreadable (or the tracks unplayable) on anything other than his machine. WMP had done something, for I had used ECDC to create the disk (as I remember). WMP9 is evil...evil I tell you.

10-27

LisaRCT

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2003, 05:16:03 pm »

I feel victimized, like someone snuck in and rearranged my underwear drawer.
I know that feeling . . .  I used to suspect my brother   >:(
Don't think I really want to know    :-\

akmed

• Recent member
  • It's better to burn out, than to fade away....
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2003, 05:20:01 pm »

Geez that is evil.  I knew DRM was dangerous, but that scenario tells me it truly was coded by contracted agents of the prince of darkness.

I'll try the tag editors.
--kurt
Pages: [1]   Go Up