INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: semicolon delimited fields  (Read 1856 times)

Marty3d

• Citizen of the Universe
semicolon delimited fields
« on: November 06, 2003, 06:25:15 pm »

I've started using this feature in order to categorize my songs into moods. It's super because you can set more than one value to a song and then select in a view scheme what you want.

But (isn't there always?) I found myself entering the same values but in different order, so I have a great list with same values but in different order.

Wouldn't it be nice with a popup-kind-of-thing where you select which values you want with checkboxes (kind of like Categories in Outlook) and a textfield where you could add new values if you wanted to?

What do YOU think?

/Martin, hopeless organizer...

dragyn

Re:semicolon delimited fields
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2003, 06:36:26 pm »

Can't you do that already?

Tagging mode is great for delimited fields.

Marty3d

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2003, 06:49:45 pm »

dragyn; I might be tired or perhaps I'm just ignorant, but....how do you mean? Tagging mode? Tell me more!! It rings a far off bell...

Marty3d

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2003, 06:57:58 pm »

Never mind, I found it!

WOWOWOWOW!!! It's fantastic! Wow again! Thanks dragyn and thanks JRiver for putting this feature here!

As usual, I have a new question: How do you get the list of files to be tagged to follow Playing Now? I always listen to the songs as I tag along...

dragyn

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2003, 09:09:54 pm »

You could just play them in the tagging mode and then tag while playing unless there's something else you want.

nila

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2003, 02:54:21 am »

There's currently no way to use tagging mode except when browsing your library :(

It sucks as it means using list types has to be done with manually entering and manipulating semi-colon delimited fields unless in the library.

HOPEFULLY in v10 there will be SOMETHING added to give us a GUI way of doing this - maybe like with Lyrics we have to click it and it opens a seperate box for input - maybe list types can open a seperate box similar to those used for the wizard to let us select the values!

Marty3d

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2003, 03:42:45 am »

After a terrible night, I figured that one way could be to use the searcch pane -> Add Rule -> Playlist...and there it stopped. How nice it would be if Playing Now showed up as a playlist, temporary as it is.

That wouldn't be so hard, would it?

Marty3d

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2003, 03:57:41 am »

Almost there... I added my Playing Now to a temporary playlist, selected it in playlist rule in Search. Now I got all files I listen to, but one thing is missing. Seq. Order!!! MC don't sort by this, but the playlist do...

Anyone knows if you can add that to a search?

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2003, 12:12:02 pm »

I don't use tagging mode for this kind of task. Instead, I use expanded view schemes in the tree. So for example I have a view scheme that shows nothing but "tempo" which is a delimited list. I then simply drag any file into the right list item. Voila. Can be done from anywhere.

To tell the truth, I don't really get tagging mode. I mean, if you sit at your computer with the intention of tagging, then fine. But most of the time (for me, anyway), it's the other way around: I am listening to stuff, then I notice that the tune's tags are wrong or missing.  Or I see that 10 tunes need the same keywords tag. The last thing I am going to do is get out of the screen that shows these 10 tunes! And that's exactly what would happen if I opened a view scheme and went into tagging mode.  Granted, same thing happens in my method too--that's why all view schemes pretty much have to be expanded in the tree at all times, so that I can always just drag.

A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

Marty3d

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2003, 05:25:57 pm »

Sounds like an alternative! But if you want that songs to have two or more values? You can only drag it to one value...or am I thinking wrong?

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2003, 05:51:44 pm »

You are absolutely right. It's a pain to drag in multiple places. That's why we need what King Sparta was asking for in another thread: the ability to ADD (and not just copy/move) within fields.

Granted, in my method, if your view scheme as two elements, say subgenre/keywords, and you expanded the "alt-rock" subgenre where you would also have the "live" or "instrumental" keywords, dragging a file into "live" would update both tags: subgenre "alt-rock" and keywords "live".

So that's a way of updating 2 tags (or more) at a time. But adding two keywords to one file, yes, you have to drag it twice. But hey! At least you don't lose your current screen!
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

Marty3d

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2003, 06:07:41 pm »

Nice! I'll try this as soon as I get to my MC machine!

But what I can tell from this thread, there is definitively room for interface restructuring!

/Martin

Pages: [1]   Go Up