INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod and MC: is it a hassle?  (Read 1754 times)

tglennt

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
iPod and MC: is it a hassle?
« on: November 09, 2003, 09:26:17 am »

I am a novice with Media Jukebox, but like it. Haven't purchased MC (yet).  A beginners issue:

I am probably going to buy my daughters and myself iPods for holiday treats. I have a basic question: is it work substituting the MC software for the iTunes software with which the iPod is meant to work? I am interested in access to the widest variety of music, and in good flexibility in categorizing, storing and playing ripped or downloaded music.  However, I worry about incompatibilites if I use MC with the iPods, and I don't know enough about the relative capabilities of the products.  Everything I've heard about iTunes is good, so I am in a dilemma. Any advice would be appreciated (or cite links I can go to for reference) Many thanks in advance.

--Tom Thompson

Klingler

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re:iPod and MC: is it a hassle?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2003, 10:22:15 am »

I'd recommend that you check out the forums at http://www.ipodlounge.com/

They have forums on both iTunes and MC9 so you can see what people have send at both systems.  MC9 is certainly more powerful than iTunes, but iTunes may do what you need.

Rob

CageB

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2003, 02:46:24 pm »

:-\ is it a hassle??  Unfortunately yes.  The software is great, but you are at the whims of apple and others and then for help, you have to hope that someone on this forum can help (and bothers to).  In my case, I installed iTunes and have not been able to get MC and my iPod to work together since.  I even removed the iTunes software completely, to no avail.  Looks like I will have to punt MC and stick to iTunes... I don't want to, but it does at least work.

willrmc

• Junior Woodchuck
  • this town is a part of us all...
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2003, 03:15:02 pm »

i've been doing MC and iPod for over a year now and have never had any major problems. there are times when i'm sure itunes would be easier if you dont want to worry about it. and whenever apple releases new features for the iPod there is a delay beofre it is working with MC because they have to reverse engineer everything to make it work.

itunes is a solid program, but with hardly any customization available and very weak tagging tools. but if you want to use your music like apple wants you to, it does it well.

MC on the other hand will adapt to however you like to listen to and organize your music, has very good tagging tools, very good smartlists, and a big feature for me (having 2 iPods in the house) is that you can have multiple libraries, so each user can have all their own music, playlists, ratings, etc.

so i guess what im saying is i much prefer MC, and have got several ipodding friends to agree as well, but i see why some people who aren't concerned about the more advanced tools, would use itunes. thats my 2 cents.
---------

Madcow

• World Citizen
  • moo!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2003, 03:37:49 pm »

I've never had any problem using my iPod with MC and I wouldn't use anything else now.  It's largely hassle-free, especially now 9.1 is so stable.

As far as I can tell, it works fine UNLESS you install iTunes.  Stick to MC and you'll be fine.

tglennt

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2003, 04:53:02 pm »

Many thanks to you all for your helpful replies...

--Tom Thompson

Dan Da Man

• World Citizen
  • I rule da-Man.com!
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2003, 04:27:15 pm »

I had mostly no problems until I decided to load iTunes.

So far, if I tell iTunes not to manage the iPod and not give it a clue that the iPod exists, then I have no problem.

However, if the iPod is connected to my computer while I use iTunes (I just use it to buy music) then it will goof up the iPod so that MC cannot read it and then I have to reformat the iPod and resync all my songs.

Otherwise, iPod and MC work OK together.  Although, before I installed iTunes I had one of those cool taskbar icons to unmount the iPod, but Apple took that away.

Dan "da Man"
Pages: [1]   Go Up