INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot make file associations in Options  (Read 1822 times)

Severian

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Data Stylist
Cannot make file associations in Options
« on: November 08, 2003, 02:14:33 pm »

Apologies if this should have been posted in the 9.1.299 build thread, but I have been experiencing this with all the 9.1 versions I have downloaded in the last few weeks.

As the subject line says, when I go to options and file associations, all checkboxes are blank and they do not respond to clicks. All boxes appear unchecked, although media types in there have been associated with MC as a result of the install.

Media Scheduler's equivalent dialog box does show the correct associations and will allow changes, and I have successfully changed file associations from there, but inside of MC itself, it's a bust.

Running WinXP pro with all the updates, a recent clean reinstall; further system details available on request. I don't even have Office reinstalled yet.
Severian

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Cannot make file associations in Options
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2003, 07:23:07 am »

No idea really, but maybe the color is not showing.  Try another skin.

Severian

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Data Stylist
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2003, 01:40:09 pm »

That idea had also occurred to me, and unfortunately it occurs across all the stock skins. Since the Scheduler dialog is standard and unskinned, that's probably the right direction to explore.

The problem seems specific to the checkboxes themselves, and not the actual list item they're next to. I can get a list item to take the focus and become highlighted, but the checkboxes themselves are unresponsive--they neither check nor allow the list item to take the focus.
Severian

Severian

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Data Stylist
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2003, 10:33:23 pm »

More checkbox problems. I was starting to fool around with adding rules to a view scheme by excluding some album artists, and the checkboxes in that dialog box are unresponsive as well.

Yuck. Am I all alone in this world with this checkbox thingamadoodle?
Severian

Severian

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Data Stylist
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2003, 10:42:47 pm »

Also, although the help file still refers to this ability (9.1.299), there is no option to disable skins...I'm thinking that if I could ditch skins maybe I could get the behavior I see out of the Scheduler dialog, which works.

Has the ability to disable skins gone the way of the do-do?
Severian

escaflo

• Galactic Citizen
  • And the answer is.... 42!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2003, 02:32:01 am »

yup, since 9.1, there's no way to turn off the skins. This is due to the fact that JRiver needed to use skin to do something like panes (I would presume) and also to provide them with more flexibility when designing the GUI.

Personally, I don't have the problem you are describing. I just double checked and I am very sure that the tick appear.
Don't Panic!

jleerigby

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2003, 05:09:59 am »

The problem seems specific to the checkboxes themselves, and not the actual list item they're next to. I can get a list item to take the focus and become highlighted, but the checkboxes themselves are unresponsive--they neither check nor allow the list item to take the focus.

Can you highlight the item then check the box using the spacebar?

Severian

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Data Stylist
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2003, 11:38:38 am »

Alas no, I can't.  Spacebar, no effect. Also the 'select none' and 'select all' buttons have no effect in these dialog boxes either.

I also figured out that it's not a case of the checks not being visible; they're really not being checked (like if I say associate with .wmv or exclude an artist or something in one of these checkbox lists, that action is not being carried out). Thanks for the suggestions though. Anybody got anything else?
Severian

jleerigby

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2003, 01:58:35 pm »

This is so utterly wierd that I think your installation must have got screwed up.  I'd uninstall and reinstall if I were you.

Severian

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Data Stylist
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2003, 02:49:13 pm »

I have done so all the way back to 9.0, same problem. I'm wondering if there's anything known about any windows updates or other applications that could interfere here. MC was one of the first apps to go back on after my installation and update of windows. Is there a compatibility problem with something like DirectX, WMP 9 or the .NET framework somehow?

Good ol' Media Jukebox 8.0.396 is working like a charm side by side with this. I just reinstalled it. No such checkbox problems of any kind, so I'm of course led to think that it's not a system problem, but something specific to MC.
Severian

Severian

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Data Stylist
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2003, 03:11:08 pm »

It works again.

I reinstalled MJ 8, as I had mentioned, and then MC 9.1 was crashing on startup with a Visual C++ unhandled exception dialog. So I reinstalled MC 9.1. This is after multiple uninstalls and reinstalls of MC, remember. The only thing different was the presence of MJ 8. Now the checkboxes work again.

My amateurish guess would be that in these last builds of MC you've omitted or have the wrong version of a common controls library that a lot of users already have from previous installations. MC 8 put it back in place for me somehow.

Severian
Pages: [1]   Go Up