INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Networking over Internet IP  (Read 2088 times)

MadMerv

• I'm a llama!
Networking over Internet IP
« on: November 12, 2003, 10:23:26 am »

There are partial answers to this elsewhere but I'm hoping to draw it together into one place.  Basically is there a preferred method for managing a 'server' over the internet from a 'client'.  ie. manage a machine running media server from a remote pc over the internet.
I can connect fine and use the library, but if I try to move or copy a file from the remote to the local then it displays no message but does nothing.  I'm thinking it may be a permissions issue (should I set the access permissions for the directory with the mp3 files so that it can be accessed remotely - even though media server must already be doing something of the sort....
The main task I want to perform is infrequent updates of a friends MP3 database from my machine.  Connecting to his library is no problem but what is the preffered way of transferring media files ?  Or is it simply a case of using Windows native networking and setting the access and perms accordingly.
I hope this makes sense - I purchased MC last week and am still finding the limits at the moment.  There are some stability issues on my workstation but these have been addressed elsewhere.
Also the 'hammer' on the pc is more than I thought, but otherwise it's the best media management tool I've tried yet (I was previously using BPM pro, media player9, my mp3pro and others).

Thanks in anticipation

Chris Snowdon
(Technical support for MadMerv)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Networking over Internet IP
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2003, 10:41:38 am »

Media Server allows streaming only.  It can't be used to transfer files.

MadMerv

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2003, 11:08:40 am »

OK...thanks for that - sort of what I thought...since I am by trade a system network manager I do know how to network the machines properly over an IP tunnel and manage the remote that way.....no problem....just a bit of buggering around with firewall and other issues to tweak it correctly.....time to dust of my Microsoft networking notes (I am more a DEC, HP-UX,Unix person - you know, proper OSs....lol)

Thanks

Chris Snowdon

LisaRCT

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2003, 12:40:17 pm »

Jim,
Does Media Server have any aversion to working over an IPX protocol network connection?
Or is it tuned ONLY for TCP/IP?

Wobbley

• World Citizen
  • What a bum rap for a nice, sensitive guy like me
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2003, 12:58:48 pm »

Does your friend run an FTP server?  If so, just use MC to FTP the files you want him/her to have.

Wobbley

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2003, 01:19:47 pm »

Media Server uses TCP/IP.

IPX and TCP/IP can share the same network.

Most IPX networks now use TCP/IP.  Novell lost that battle almost ten years ago.

LisaRCT

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2003, 01:35:46 pm »

OK, but if I understand this correctly,
Media Server looks to connect over the TCP/IP,
But my PC's only can communicate with each other via IPX,
So, is MC going to find a MediaServer on my IPX network if it looks on TCP/IP?
Seems the answer would be no far as I can see (but I know nothing about networking).
Unless it sends it out onto the internet on TCP/IP and the other PC finds it 'Out There'   ?

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2003, 01:54:11 pm »

Hi LisaRCT,

Why are your machines speaking only IPX? You should be able to set up an IP network as well (are you using ethernet for your IPX network?).

j

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2003, 02:07:56 pm »

Lisa,
Try adding TCP/IP and see what happens.  Google may help.  Also, the Linksys site has good basic info on TCP/IP.

Good luck.

Jim

LisaRCT

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2003, 02:34:44 pm »

Hi LisaRCT,
Why are your machines speaking only IPX? You should be able to set up an IP network as well (are you using ethernet for your IPX network?).
j

Long story . . . goes back to having AOL for my DSL provider and it's inability to work properly as a shared network internet connection, and it caused problems using TCP/IP networking . . . need I say more?  Good ol AOhelL!
I have the same NIC card working as IPX network  and TCP/IP internet.
Had me confused when my friend got it working after a long battle with AOL and my network not working.  
All I know is my network is operational, probably not ideal, but functional.

Pages: [1]   Go Up