INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hairstyle and HTPC questions  (Read 757 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
Hairstyle and HTPC questions
« on: November 14, 2003, 02:05:54 pm »

Hello,

Sorry if I sound like an idiot, but I'm really trying to learn all I can about customizing this GREAT program to make it more 'personal' to my tastes, as I do with just about everything.

I'm quite computer literate, but I'm just starting to climb the learning curve to customizing this app.

From reading MANY posts in the last week or so, I am starting to realize the vast amount that can be done, but most posts are mainly between people who are already quite far up the curve, so, although I can follow the general jist of the posting, and can even follow along with the instructions and tips, I'm not sure how to get to where the customizing is being done.

For example, gpvillamil wanted to know how to remove a white bezel around track info, and someone told him what line to add to change it to black, I understand all of this, but I don't know 'where' to make this change, in other words, what file is actually being changed.  I looked through many of the files and folders in the J River directory, but couldn't figure out which one to modify to have this effect.  Is there any sort of a 'getting started in customizing' area I can review to help me get up to speed?

Second, I am in the process of building by HTPC, and I have seen many people talking about using the remote control feature, or their keyboard, or even touchpads to control their systems, usually in a hairstyle mode (why is it called that? I never would have know how cool it was without reading through posts about it).  I can't quite figure out how people are using a remote with their HTPC's.  Are they using an all-in-wonder card with the remote receiver, is there some other way to allow a PC to be controlled via remote?  I have a Marantz RC5200 for my Theater system, and would really love it if I could use it to control Media Center as well as my Theater equipment.  Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Finally, does anyone know of a CD/DVD/SACD/DVD-A drive I can put in my HTPC?  I just ordered the new Pioneer DV-563AS which will play all of these things (under $175 delivered), but I would really rather just add the drive to my HTPC and not have to have another box in my rack.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide to my education.

Chris
pretend this is something funny

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Hairstyle and HTPC questions
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2003, 04:29:06 pm »

Chris,
When you post, it's a good idea to separate subjects and use an appropriate description.  You're more likely to get an answer.

There is a FAQ thread near the top that might be a good place to start.

jleerigby

Re:Hairstyle and HTPC questions
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2003, 04:54:53 pm »

Justin,

I'd echo what Jim said.  Such a long list can be a bit of a turn off.  Many will not bother to answer if they think it's going to takes ages to cover all of your points.  I've have to admit that I'm a bit like that which is nothing to be proud of I know.  Anyhow I'll have a quick stab at some of your questions:

most posts are mainly between people who are already quite far up the curve, so, although I can follow the general jist of the posting, and can even follow along with the instructions and tips, I'm not sure how to get to where the customizing is being done.
Don't feel like you're out of your depth.  Just keep reading this forum and you'll pick up some great tips - it'll just happen, believe me.  The same questions come up over and over again as newbies join so you will always be able to increase your knowledge here without having to have any prior experience of MC to get you going.  If someone uses some jargon just hijack the thread and ask them to explain what the **** they are talking about!

For example, gpvillamil wanted to know how to remove a white bezel around track info, and someone told him what line to add to change it to black, I understand all of this, but I don't know 'where' to make this change, in other words, what file is actually being changed.

The track info templates are in here:
C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\Visualizations\Track Info.

In each directory there is an Index.html file that you can edit and customise to your liking.  You could copy one of the directories and then tweak away to your hearts content to make your own template.

Is there any sort of a 'getting started in customizing' area I can review to help me get up to speed?
Not really.  The best place to start is in this forum.  If you want to get into the more technical stuff like developing your own plug ins or skins check out the Dev Zone link at the top of this page and also the Third Part Plug Ins and Skins Board.

Second, I am in the process of building by HTPC, and I have seen many people talking about using the remote control feature, or their keyboard, or even touchpads to control their systems, usually in a hairstyle mode (why is it called that? I never would have know how cool it was without reading through posts about it).  I can't quite figure out how people are using a remote with their HTPC's.  Are they using an all-in-wonder card with the remote receiver, is there some other way to allow a PC to be controlled via remote?

I could take all day to answer this one but I won't.  The short answer is that the majority are using an IR receiver that connects to the serial port or USB port on your PC. I use the evation IRMAN and recommend it.  Check it out at their website.  These allow you to use virtually any remote control you can lay your hands on.  Then you need some software to capture the signals and act on them.  MC has a built in plug in for IRMAN that will allow you to control most of MC's basic functions.  To get more power with the potential to control virtually everything on your PC you need to check out www.girder.nl

Girder takes some figuring out to start with but it's well worth it.  MC is shipped with a sample config file for girder at:
C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\Data\Extras\Girder\mc9_131.gml.  This will help you get started.  You can also do a search for girder in this forum and get some good tips.

Good luck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up