INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping MP3 encoders and YADB Workaround  (Read 2746 times)

Steve345

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Ripping MP3 encoders and YADB Workaround
« on: December 11, 2002, 11:04:44 am »

2 Questions:

1) When Ripping CD's is the Encoder "MP3 Encoder VBR" a Variable Bit Rate encoder?

Would it be preferable to the straight MP3 encoder for any reason? Would the MP3's it generates not be reabable by other MP 3 players?

2) Many of my CD's are not in YADB. I would like to still rip these CD's and manually fill in things like Artist and Album. WHat is the best procedure to do this?

Regards.

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: Ripping MP3 encoders and YADB Workaround
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2002, 11:22:37 am »

1) yes (LAME encoder)

> Would the MP3's it generates not be reabable by other MP 3 players

Not if your using equipment/players that are relatively new (within a couple years). I think VBR was addressed in the original MP3 spec, so virtually everything should handle them.

> Many of my CD's are not in YADB

I handle them this way...I use EAC (for all rips/encodes). Funny thing is YADB is based on FreeDB which EAC uses. FreeDB has found CD info that YADB couldn't. ?

> WHat is the best procedure to do this?

Just make sure the tags you want to edit have a corresponding column visible in the track view (right side). Then it becomes click and edit. MJ should then read that tag info and apply it to the filename(s) when encoding (or just playing that CD at some later time).

10-27

Pogle

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2002, 02:43:14 am »

To set the Artist and album and other details that are the same on all tracks:
select all tracks in the track view
Right-click -> properties
Fill in said details
Save

Pogle

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2002, 02:47:44 am »

also when editing the track names use down arrow so that the next track is immediately ready to be typed over.

BTW. it still sucks that we have to do this.

Also are the details we type in automatically uploaded to YADB? If so there ought to be some form guidelines.

If not, how does this database get populated?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2002, 04:04:01 am »

To submit to YADB, right click on the CD.

We aren't finished yet.  It will get better.

LanManCan

• Recent member
  • Lemme at those bugs...
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2002, 05:50:58 pm »

We aren't finished yet.  It will get better.

Jim, have you noticed there is more gripe time logged on this subject than probably any other?  You're insisting that everyone must carry the YADB banner.  There must be a lot of money riding on this decision and, before you ask, I won't drink the cool-aid...

I've only tried a half dozen disks but YADB failed to find a single, solitary ONE.  FreeDB and CDDB found them all.

Granted, YADB should become more populated (accurate ?) in time.  I ask, how much time, one month, two, maybe six?  How long should we be patient and rip with another program or enter everything manually?

Yoda, blinding light, flying higher. Ancient MCprophacy: if debug'd the betahordes can be, then save us it will. Be strong Admin. Use the FARCE, MATT!

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2002, 05:54:25 pm »

I've got a question about submitting to YADB.  This situation just happend, and there is probably an easy solution, but I've got alot of sludge in my cerebral arteries, which makes it difficult for me to figure out:

I put in a CD that I wanted to rip/encode.  For giggles I checked to see if the CD was in the YADB database.  The CD was not detected by YADB.  I went over to the ripping/encoding program I use  (EAC/LAME), the CD was detected by there database and all the fields appropriately filled in.  How can I transfer this over to MC so I can enter it into the database?  After I rip/encode, I import the resulting MP3 information to my MC library, but it's in MP3 format, not CD, so my feeble mind tells me exporting this to YADB is not going to be of any benefit to the database....

Diane

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2002, 06:03:09 pm »

Hate asking but re sending info to yadb & r.clicking the CD, what optionis to, I must need new glasses.

rocketsauce

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2002, 12:16:03 am »

How can I transfer this over to MC so I can enter it into the database?

I think this would only be possible if you can configure both programs to save the info to the same local database on your hard drive.  I know EAC has an option to specify the path to the local database, but as far as I can tell, this is not an option in MJ.  Actually, looking thru the MJ directory, it's not readily apparent (to me anyway) where MJ stores the info once it is downloaded.

re sending info to yadb & r.clicking the CD

If you right-click on the cd in the left-hand pane of MJ, you should see an option that says "Submit to CD Database".  Well, it's there in MJ8, maybe 9 is different.

Rob

Diane

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2002, 12:20:39 am »

Maybe should have phrased last post better. Having waded through other threads, hell what a busy board this is, I don't have that r/click option to send to yadb.
I read some stuff at freedb. org and so have better idea why j. river's diced CDDB incl its outrageous new costs. So I support the yadb philosophy, serious, that's why I'm asking about the r/click option.
Also noticed that MJ 8's library  includes the CD's I've played, this shows the unidentified ones.
And for my own edification, I fired up my newly-installed latest version of  MMJB for comparison purposes [bought "lifetime upgrade" once, don't flame me for that, all I knew then was that I didn't want a bar of WMP]. Natch I think MJ better, wouldn't be posting here otherwise. Anyway far as I can see, MMJB still seems to use CDDB, it identifies the ones that MJ doesn't - so is there any way that MMJB's tagging could be useful or exported to yadb?  I've had a look at how-to's for EAC, honestly don't have the time to learn & use it.
just a thought.

Diane

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2002, 12:33:06 am »

Sorry rocketsauce, didn't see your post till after I'd replied. No I don't have that r/click option in MJ 8. only CDDB option which returns malformed command.

rocketsauce

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2002, 09:35:24 am »

You don't get the option if you're trying to right-click and send info from entries that appear under CD and DVD media.  You have to have a cd in the drive, then choose the drive from CD & Handhelds, right-click and you should have an option to submit the info.  BTW, I'm using the most recent version of 8, which is 8.0.393.

Rob

Steve345

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2002, 05:44:43 pm »

I guess I hit a nerve somewhere. I didn't think this topic would get so big.

I'm the original poster, running MJ v 8.0.388 on W2k Pro

Either way, I've got it on the right-click thing to cover for YADB. A pretty good feature when you figure it out.

On the subject of the variable bit rate encoder, I've been using it and it seems that tied to my conversion from the straight "MP3 Encoder" to the "MP3 Encoder VBR" I've started to experience some serious playback problems similar to a CD player playing a scratched up CD or getting shaken rather badly. I've seen this both at the "High" and "Normal" quality encodings.

I've noticed it on many CD's from various sources, all pristine on examination.

Any thoughts?

RemyJ

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2002, 07:23:59 pm »

Welcome to the forums!  Good thing you didn't ask about the licensing scheme  :P.

OK, on the skipping subject, the skipping could be embedded in the actual mp3 file (unlikely) or part of the playback mechanism (more likely).

What happens if you play the track back with another player (Winamp, Windows Media Player, etc)?  Does the skipping always happen at the exact same place in the track?

Try playing with the playback options,  
Mode: Wave Out vs DirectSound
Buffering (in Settings): More Skip Resistent vs More Responsive

Also in your Windows Sounds and Mutltimedia settings,  try changing the Sound Playback advanced settings to use LESS hardware acceleration.   I find that if I have acceleration set to one notch above NONE, I can have the buffering slider almost all the way to "More Responsive" with no skipping at all.

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce
Pages: [1]   Go Up