INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem when importing files  (Read 1282 times)

PushiTooL

• Junior Woodchuck
Problem when importing files
« on: November 12, 2003, 07:04:46 am »

Lately (the last dozen or so builds I'd imagine) I've had issues often when importing files. What occurs is that a portion of the files (all mp3) already in my library lose their MC tag changes (ie. I don't change the files' id3 tags themselves, just clean up the properties in MC) when I import.

A portion amounts to a few thousand, so I have to restore to a previous library (I backup regularly.. I've had a few problems with my libraries over the years). Currently, every importation causes many tracks' properties to restore back to their original tags (it's always the same files). After I install the latest build (9.1.302 - currently using 9.1.298), I'll import again and if the problem occurs again I'll see if I can find a common 'property' (perhaps date of importation) between the files that lose their changed properties.

Has anyone ever experienced anything similar to this? Does anyone even understand what I'm trying (but perhaps failing) to describe?

Matty.

PushiTooL

• Junior Woodchuck
Re:Problem when importing files
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2003, 07:43:40 am »

OK I've installed the current build (9.1.302) and the problem remains.

I tried to find a common bond between the files that change but failed. However, it's still the same files losing their changed properties.

Perhaps when MC is scanning all files in a dir (when importing) it's doing something other than simply checking if the file exists. Can a programmer perhaps shed some light on this?

In the meantime I'll just backup my library before importation, then after I change the track properties of the newly imported files I'll save the "Recently Imported" playlist. Then simply import this playlist after I've restored my previous library.

I hope at least one person has got the general gist of what I'm getting at here. It's frustrating that I can't explain it more clearly..

Matty.

Deivit

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2003, 09:37:59 am »

Just a guess... could it be that those files that are reverted to their old tags are read-only files??

PushiTooL

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2003, 12:50:03 am »

No they aren't.

jleerigby

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2003, 02:45:51 am »

Restore your library, select all the affected files and select Library Tools> Update Tags (From Library).  Then try to re-import the files again.

PushiTooL

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2003, 12:35:07 pm »

How can I tell what the affected files are after I've restored my library though?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2003, 04:09:59 pm »

If you have a file you thing causes a problem, we'd like to see it.

E-mail to jimh @ jriver.com with a link to this thread.

Thanks.

PushiTooL

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2003, 01:27:38 am »

It's not a particular file that causes a problem. Umm.. I don't think I can explain it any better than I did at the beginning of the thread (though I can understand if even my best effects cause confusion).

Matty.
Pages: [1]   Go Up