INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: need more info on Girder, ATI AIW remote  (Read 1287 times)

gpvillamil

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Listen to the music...
need more info on Girder, ATI AIW remote
« on: November 28, 2003, 01:12:36 am »

OK, I'm in the process of setting up remote control for MC9. I've searched the forums and I still have a bit of confusion re using the ATI All-In-Wonder remote.

1) Is it possible to use the ATI AIW remote *without* installing Girder? Apparently the software included with it supports at least some functionality...

2) What is necessary to get Girder to work with MC9? My current understanding is that you need to:
  • Download and install Girder
  • Open the .gml file from Media Center
  • Go through and "train" the remote for the commands you want
  • Save the file somewhere as the Girder default config
Is that all?

3) Do you need an additional plugin to support Girder in MC9? I noticed that the Girder website has plugins for Media Jukebox, marked v7, v8 and v9. Also, most of the instructions for using Girder with *Media Jukebox* gave detailed instructions for installing a plugin.

4) It seems like the MC9 .gml file is designed so that remote commands will *always* go to MC9. Is it possible to set it up so that remote commands will go to the foreground app? The Girder forums make a lot of references to including all kinds of checking code if you are going to be controlling multiple applications with the remote.

5) How about Girder & MyHTPC? Do you disable the Girder commands for MC9, and create a Girder command set for MyHTPC instead?

6) I've heard some allusions to the effect that the X10 remote control and the ATI All-In-Wonder remote are identical, or at least compatible. In this case, can the MC9 X10 plugin be used?

7) The .gml file includes commands for mjextman Commands and WMessage Commands. Both lists include the same commands. Which set should I use? What is the difference?

jleerigby

Re:need more info on Girder, ATI AIW remote
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2003, 02:20:29 am »

Point 1 - Trust me - use Girder.  It's fab.

Point 2 - Yes that's all it took for me.  Now I've learned more about Girder I've enhanced the file.  One thing you'll find in the file with MC is that all the commands are set up as single commands.  E.g. Play is one command so you can click learn and press your remote button and that's that.  However, I've found that it's better to have the command part of a multi-group.  That's just a group that can include several commands.  Then you select the multi-group and click learn which means that Girder will follow a series of commands when the button is pressed.  This is useful if you use one of the on screen display plug ins from the girder web site.  Now when I press Play on my remote it activates the multi-group and within the muti-group there are 2 commands taht are executed: 1=Play, 2=Display On Screen Text "Play".

My advice to you would be to decide which commands you want to use when you see the .gml file and add them to a multi-group (create multi-group and cut/paste command into it) before you set up your remote.  If you only end up with the one command in your multi-group it will work just the same but it'll be less work if you need to add to it later.

3. No plug in required to use girder with MC.  You might need a plug in to use your IR device with Girder.  Mine is an IRMAN, the plug in for which is included in Girder anyway - I just had to enable it in the plug ins menu.

4. Most of the commands set up in the included gml are mjextman commands which is an efficient way of talking directly to MC.  You can if you wish set it up to talk to the foreground app.  In girder there are a series of tabs that allow you to define what you want the command to do (like execute a command line value, simulate a keyboard press etc) and you can also specify which application to target the command at including an option to target the foreground window.

7.  I used the mjextman commands and they work perfectly.  I don't know why one is better than the other.  I disabled the group for WMessage Commands.

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2003, 05:12:13 am »

You definitely can't use the X10 plugin in MC. As far as I know, that's only serial or something like that. Anyway, it doesn't work.

It might help if you could list what MC functions you'd like to configure your remote for.

A lot of it really does just work out of the box, even without Girder.

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2003, 05:29:29 am »

JLee, Rob L, thanks for your replies! Very helpful.

Another quick question - it seems that, at least initially, all you can do with the number keys on the remote is assign them to commands, ie. each number key might bring up a specific playlist.

Is there a way to make the number keys more generally useful, like being able to enter a sequence number in a playlist, or to assign numeric codes to songs?

jleerigby

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2003, 08:08:06 am »

I just use the number keys to apply ratings.  I think Mastiff has done the playlist thing.  You send him a PM.

sraymond

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2003, 11:24:13 am »

Some miscellaneous responses.

4. Most of the commands set up in the included gml are mjextman commands which is an efficient way of talking directly to MC.  You can if you wish set it up to talk to the foreground app.  In girder there are a series of tabs that allow you to define what you want the command to do (like execute a command line value, simulate a keyboard press etc) and you can also specify which application to target the command at including an option to target the foreground window.
7.  I used the mjextman commands and they work perfectly.  I don't know why one is better than the other.  I disabled the group for WMessage Commands.

I'm pretty sure WMessages are better performance-wise than MJEXTMAN (which is running a program each time you send a command).  WMessages are certainly the more elegant solution.  I recommend WMessages.

3) Do you need an additional plugin to support Girder in MC9? I noticed that the Girder website has plugins for Media Jukebox, marked v7, v8 and v9. Also, most of the instructions for using Girder with *Media Jukebox* gave detailed instructions for installing a plugin.

In the "old days", the MJ plugin for Girder allowed for an easy way to target MC from within Girder - it worked regardless of focus, minimzation, etc.  Not that WMessages are used, there's really no reason for Girder to use an MC plugin.  Which is good, because I don't think the MC Plugin doesn't works anymore.

5) How about Girder & MyHTPC? Do you disable the Girder commands for MC9, and create a Girder command set for MyHTPC instead?

I use keyboard events for the arrow buttons and enter - this makes it work with *any* application that requires the use of up/down/left/right/enter.  Or, you could do just what you proposed.

General Comment:  All told, if you need just basic use, then by all means try the ATI remote with the ATI software.  But you are quite limited in functionality.  I rate Girder as "Easy" to install for basic control.  If you want to get fancy (like OSD Volume Control or DVDSpy), it's still straight-forward, but there are many steps to follow.

I agree with JLee:  Once you go Girder, you won't regret it.

Scott-

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2003, 02:01:01 pm »

On the point of the number keys specifically, the ATI software just configures them as the same as the number keys on the keyboard. To get them to do other stuff, you'd have to use Girder.

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2003, 04:53:10 pm »

Or build an option into MC9.1 to use numeric menus... like on a mobile phone. Probably handy in Hairstyle.

mickjp

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2003, 07:29:56 pm »

There are two plug-ins on the Girder site for use with the ATI remote wonder.  The second one towards the bottom of the list allows the use of all the buttons including the TV, DVD, Web, etc.  I installed it yesterday and it was an easy install and seemed a better solution than the first one.  The direct link is below.

http://www.girderplugins.com/files32/X10_Remote.zip

sraymond

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2003, 09:02:00 pm »

There are two plug-ins on the Girder site for use with the ATI remote wonder.  The second one towards the bottom of the list allows the use of all the buttons including the TV, DVD, Web, etc.  I installed it yesterday and it was an easy install and seemed a better solution than the first one.  The direct link is below.

http://www.girderplugins.com/files32/X10_Remote.zip

Right... with this plugin, you don't need to run the ATI Remote Wonder software at all.

Scott-
Pages: [1]   Go Up