INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Resampling MP3 files to lower bitrate  (Read 2127 times)

Robodoc

• Recent member
  • Did I really say that?!
Resampling MP3 files to lower bitrate
« on: November 26, 2003, 09:25:49 pm »

I've been reading the MC board for awhile but this is my first posting.  So here goes...

I am running MC v9.1.313 (but got same error with v9.1.311) and tried to recode some MP3 files in a lower bitrate still in MP3 format so I could download them to a portable player.  Whenever I try to do it, I get a status message saying "No conversion needed" and a pop-up dialog saying "Failed to convert".  I am using "Tools>Advanced Tools>Convert Format..."  Most all my current MP3 files are encoded at 320 bps and I've tried all the various MP3 settings (MP3, MP3 VBR, etc) that I haveand get the same error.  When I convert it to Ogg Vorbis, it works fine.  How can I downconvert my MP3 files to ones with lower quality??   Any help appreciated.  Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

LisaRCT

Re:Resampling MP3 files to lower bitrate
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2003, 09:45:28 pm »

If I had a need to do that I would then first convert them to a WAV file, then re-encode the resulting WAV into your new low-bit MP3 file.

jleerigby

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2003, 02:49:36 am »

If I had a need to do that I would then first convert them to a WAV file, then re-encode the resulting WAV into your new low-bit MP3 file.

But it should be possible to do it.  MMJB supports this in a couple of clicks.

Converting to wav first will not alter the fact that there will be a resultant loss in quality.  In this case however this quality loss will not be an issue because a) the original is pretty good at 320kbps and b) you'll not notice on a portable.

Robodoc

• Recent member
  • Did I really say that?!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2003, 03:22:15 pm »

It seems to me that one should be able to directly subsample in a given format without having to go through the time consuming, 2-step process of converting to another format and then back.  Is this a bug or was it intentional for the direct downsampling capability not to be present?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2003, 07:44:08 pm »

MC should allow conversion from MP3 to MP3 at a lower bitrate.  If it doesn't, please try the latest build and then report it in the thread that announced the build.

Two Wire

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2003, 09:07:02 am »

There is a software program called Goldwave that will allow you to do this. It will even do batch conversions. Do an internet search for Goldwave to find their web site

SteveG

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2003, 09:56:01 am »

Robodoc,

If you want the files to convert for your Portable Device, queue up the files and then select 'Options'. You will see a checkbox for "Force File Conversion' and this will automatically convert the files during the transfer to the Portable and take care of the decoding, encoding, and file deletions for you. If you want to have two copies of the files (high bitrate and low bitrate) on your PC then you are doing the right thing currently.  If not, then use the option I mention above.

Steve

JohnT

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2003, 10:38:30 am »

In the file conversion tool, there is an option "Skip duplicates". If you uncheck this option, you will be able to change the bitrate of the mp3 files. The next released build of MC will check the file's bitrate and will allow conversion of a file to the same file type if the selected output bitrate is different.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up