INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting information from YADB  (Read 1748 times)

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
  • Keep on doing mambo ...
Getting information from YADB
« on: December 01, 2003, 04:13:56 am »

Hi there,

I have posted a similar message a few times already. I hope it gets a higher priority on the "To-Do" list now. A while ago JohnT 'solved' the problem of freezing up the system when getting information from YADB. The problem acted like Schwarzenegger and said "I'll be back". Well here it is again, apperently stronger then ever.

Getting information from the YADB database just does not work properly. When putting in a new CD it can take a very very long time to get the information. And when the information is not there it takes a long time to get the screen to fill in the missing names. Adding a CD to the database works fine and fast. It takes my other program that gets information from the CDDB about 5 to 10 seconds to get the info for the same CD.

A few (small) bugs:
The CD information on the left screen is not always updated when inserting a new CD to be ripped;
The secure rip dialog does not show all the CD-drives at the end of the rip proces;
The rip dialog box does not have a checkbox in front of every song;
The visualization screen is not always correctly repainted when switching between programs;

MarSies .....

Media Center Registered 9.1.313 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2806 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 178 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1276 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.60 (1021)

Ripping /   Drive G:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive H:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive X:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive Y:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive Z:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive Y: PLEXTOR  CD-R   PREMIUM     Addr: 2:1:0  Speed:52  MaxSpeed:52  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive Z: PLEXTOR  DVDR   PX-504A     Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Getting information from YADB
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2003, 07:09:36 am »

I used YADB several times this weekend with 9.1.313 and it worked fine.

Does anyone else see this problem?

nila

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2003, 07:44:24 am »

Used it quite a bit over the weekend to rip stuff and it's been fairly fast most the time, hung occassionally when getting info after being cancelled but on the whole was pretty good for me.

One thing I did find though, when it finds more than one match - it displays a list but the list only has the Artist - Album type info.
In several cases these looked identical but when i chose one I'd spot a fault with it (ie a track number hadn't been filled in) so I then had to fill it in manually.
Would it be possible that we could see all the track info for each of the enteries before deciding which one we wanted to use?
Because other times I've ended up chosing options where the whole thing was capitalised etc which sucked (Tools - Clean Properties worked a treat those times!!!).

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2003, 01:19:05 am »

Jim,

I have reported YADB problems a few times and I have seen others also describing things which are indicating that YADB is certainly not flawless.

Look at the message: 2 cd infos wrong at YADB.
For me this is also a known error and I deal with it very often.

Could you get YADB fixes higher on the priority list. Sometimes I see a lot of cosmetic fixes in the updates and no bugfixes.
After John had fixed the freezing problem a while ago MC got a lot better. But it's almost back at where it came from. :'(

MarSies .....

Bean

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2003, 03:49:37 am »

Every time i try to get information from YADB, i get this message. Probably me who are doing it wrong??

I choose the file i want to get information for - tools - library tools - lookup track info from YADB.

nila

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2003, 05:02:09 am »

That just means it cant find your tracks in the db.
No one has entered them yet.

Bean

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2003, 05:06:52 am »

Yes, but i get it every time....with all my music.  :o

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2003, 11:21:46 am »

Have you added your tracks to the database? The track lookup is new technology, and the database is still being populated.

j

zevele10

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2003, 11:29:19 am »

Sometimes , when the cd not in YADB , it can takes sometime before you get the result.
Also ,it looks like the perfomance from the YADB server are going up and down
Fast for few hours , slow for the next.

In another hand , it can be my connection to the net as well , not the YADB server.

My feeling is that all the process concerning YADB takes to long.
You may try to improve it.

PS: this is NOT a complain , just an opinion

zevele10

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2003, 11:36:22 am »

The rip dialog box does not have a checkbox in front of every song

?????????

What do you mean?????

You have a check box in front of each song.

What is really missing is the song number.

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2003, 02:56:12 pm »

Zevele,

I agree with your description of the performance issues of YADB. I timed the CDDB response and it always gives results within 3 seconds. However, in my opinion it is real complaint. I a still trying to get all my CD's in ape format on my harddisks. It takes a lot of time and I use secure-rip.  :-\

Explanation of your question:
I have 3 CD-drives, I use all of them to rip CD's. When I click on "CD, DVD, & Handhelds" MC searches YADB. It always finds one of my CD's. (The left pane is not always updated with the new CD title). It takes a long time (depending on the YADB performance) before the dialog box is shown to fill in the missing names. I start ripping the known CD's as soon as the system allows. When I have entered the missing names of the unknown CD I also start ripping that one. In the updated rip dialog box there is no checkbox in front of every track. In this situation is when the checkbox is missing.
Another bug is that there is no secure rip report of every ripped CD at the end of this proces!

There is defenitely no connection problem on my ADSL link. It is now 1024/512 and it will go to 2048/1024 very soon. No other program has difficulties with the link. A message that I receive very often is that YADB can't be reached.  ?

I am glad that John has fixed the bug with the last trackname not inserted in YADB!  8)

MarSies .....
Pages: [1]   Go Up