INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some new Ideas for Auto Equaliser Plugin  (Read 1551 times)

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Some new Ideas for Auto Equaliser Plugin
« on: December 03, 2003, 12:08:53 pm »

I find myself alternating between random tracks and albums. For albums i usually pick Gapless and for random i use cross-fade(smooth) as playback options.

It would be cool if the Auto equaliser plugin could detect automatically what i was playing and set the playback options accordingly.

a way for this may be for the equaliser to check whether the album name of the current track was the same as the next one or two, it could then know if album name stays constant, its an album so play it with gapless or if the album name changes then its a mix and set to cross-fade.

Another idea i had was to do with replay gain. This might need some more thinking through ...

- Switch off replay gain if its an album, this preserves the album highs & lows. same algo as above. Its a pseudo attempt at album gain with the user doing the gain ( volume change) :) until JRiver gives us real album gain.

- Switch on replay gain if its a mix.

What do people think  ??

nila

Re:Some new Ideas for Auto Equaliser Plugin
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003, 12:38:41 pm »

It's already been suggested (something very similar) here:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=16971

Unfortunately, the SDK is very limited in what I can do to control MC.
As a result I cant turn on Replay Gain, or turn it off or anything.

One thing that was suggested though was adjusting the volume.

Not too sure how replay gain works but if it's just a volume adjustment then what I could try do as a work around is set it up so that If you had this feature turned on (Make sure you have replay gain turned OFF) - then it would read the replay gain values and adjust the volume according to them??
Would that work? You'll have to tell me as I dont know too much about replay gain.

I think that's what he's talking about though too.

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2003, 01:02:43 pm »

Volume adjustments could work but you would need to find how much 1dB corresponds to in terms of volume increments/decrements.

Replay gain sets a base level of 83dB.  During AA, volume variations are calculated wrt to 83dB and any highs are added to. The replay gain setting in MC produce what is known as Track gain , everything is loudness normalised to 83dB as opposed to album gain where the base level is album determined.

what about setting playback options fo gapless & cross-fade or does the SDK not allow you to access it ?

nila

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2003, 01:15:26 pm »

Doesn't allow me to :(

It's REALLY limited in what I can do with it right now.

You'll have to try to get MC to add more power to it if you want me to be able to do that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up