INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: v10 beta's trial policies question. (just a simple question)  (Read 1091 times)

Marko

v10 beta's trial policies question. (just a simple question)
« on: December 06, 2003, 01:54:41 am »

During the 9.1 cycle, if a user installed v9.1.001 and found it to be just a tad too buggy for their liking at this stage, so put it to bed for a while.

One day, this user decides he's not checked out interact for a while and wonders how 9.1 is coming along. He arrives here and sees that developement has moved on to v9.1.201. He thinks, cool, let's see how things have improved since I tried it last.

He downloads...
He Installs....
He then finds he can't see what's improved because his trial period has expired. If he wants to check out the latest beta, he must pay first.

Will this practice continue?
I would like to know because it will affect at what point I decide to check out v10's developement with a view to upgrading.

-marko.

PhatPhreddy

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Cosmic Comic
Re:v10 beta's trial policies question. (just a simple question)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2003, 02:43:17 am »

Is that really the way it works ? That seems nuts...

So one install of a v9 meant you had 30 days to make up your mind and then later on in the product life cycle you could not check it ??

Sure seems to me that any beta should reset the 30 day timer each install...
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

Marko

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2003, 03:13:03 am »

Yup, that's how it was.
I'm not knocking it, it's obvious why it's like this. (if you installed each daily beta, you'd never need to pay up till 30 days after the last one, but by then, you've installed "next version beta1" and enjoying endlessly resetting 30 day trials again)

I've not got the brains or the imagination to come with a better idea.
I only know about this from reading posts here on interact.
I just want to know if the v10 betas will follow the same path so I can decide at which point I dive in.

ThatAdamGuy

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama's iguana!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2003, 03:33:55 am »

Hmm... yeah, I was just going to post about this.

I tried out version 9... had some problems burning CDs, then went away for Thanksgiving break for a bit.

Came back here, saw version 10 mentioned, downloaded it, but can't try it out because my 30 day trial has expired.  

I can certainly understand not resetting the 'trial clock' in between incremental versions, but I'd think that it'd be a good policy to reset this clock in between major versions.

Thanks in advance for taking this into consideration.

jleerigby

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2003, 04:58:47 am »

I can certainly understand not resetting the 'trial clock' in between incremental versions, but I'd think that it'd be a good policy to reset this clock in between major versions.

I'm sure that's what they'll do but they have not sorted out the licensing code yet - as mentioned in many of the threads for v10.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2003, 07:09:24 am »

Is that really the way it works ? That seems nuts...
It is nuts, but it's simple enough that it works.  If a few people get caught by it, I'm sorry, but we have to make it all work and it isn't easy.

In any case, if someone has the problem, they can test on another PC.  Or stay out of the kitchen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up