INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CDDB doesn`t work anymore!  (Read 4309 times)

Alexandra

• nothing more to say...
CDDB doesn`t work anymore!
« on: November 29, 2002, 12:54:38 am »

:-/ Hi,

I hab my computer reorganises and know my cddb at mediajukebox doesn`t work anymore.

Whenever i try to resive cd-info i get the error:

Malformed commant sent from server to client 82fa00lc.

What is wrong?
I have a registered versie of mediajukebox and i have registered cddb.

HELP!!

sandra

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: CDDB doesn`t work anymore!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2002, 05:00:32 am »

Please switch to yadb.  We don't support CDDB any longer.

paulbailie

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2002, 11:04:03 am »

That's a shame, CDDB always came up with more matches.
I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, than screaming in terror, like his passengers.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2002, 11:31:52 am »

We had about as many complaints about cddb as we've had about yadb.  But now, we have source so we can fix problems.

It is getting steadily better.  

Alexandra

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2002, 01:09:04 pm »

:-*Thanks,

I run now whit Yadb, and sofare no problems.

cddb couldn`t find every cd i try to rip, but that was no problem for me.....yadb can`t also not find anything but i`m glad it works now.

Thanks for your support!

Sandra

Dampier

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2002, 05:06:09 pm »

I strongly disagree about YADB being anywhere near as comprehensive as CDDB.  I work in radio and receive a lot of promo releases of new music which manages to get into our hands a few weeks before they hit the streets and I consistently find many, if not most of those releases already in CDDB's databases.

I have never encountered a situation where YADB had a result and CDDB did not.

Additionally, CDDB does at least some rudimentary verification of submitted information while it's evident YADB does not.  I have encountered bucketloads of obvious grammar errors in YADB results that just don't occur with CDDB (neither is 100% perfect though).

I have also encountered the growing trend of individuals who want to show they ARE individual by submitting entries to YADB in a style unique to themselves... and irritating to the rest of us.  Examples include random capitalization, use of *!-^# and other characters to highlight their entries (but are not part of the actual song title or artist information), and in some occasions, obviously fraudulent/hoax listings.

The bottom line is that you get what you pay for, and YADB is no replacement for CDDB.  In fact, I have noticed I am spending more of my time using programs other than Media Jukebox to deal with ripping CD's just to avoid my usual irritation at having to edit/correct/create YADB's results so I can keep my personal music library in some sense of order.

The competition isn't following Media Jukebox's trend, and I can eventually see myself cutting way back, if not dropping the program entirely just for this reason.

I would strongly urge you to reconsider your decision to stop supporting CDDB.  It's an important feature for me, and I suspect at least several others.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2002, 05:47:48 am »

Additionally, CDDB does at least some rudimentary verification of submitted information while it's evident YADB does not.  I have encountered bucketloads of obvious grammar errors in YADB results that just don't occur with CDDB (neither is 100% perfect though).

Maybe you'd like to join the "Cleanup Crew"?

http://www.yadb.com/stats.html

The competition isn't following Media Jukebox's trend, and I can eventually see myself cutting way back, if not dropping the program entirely just for this reason.

The only major player still using CDDB is Winamp.  I suspect they got a very good deal a long time ago.

I would strongly urge you to reconsider your decision to stop supporting CDDB.  It's an important feature for me, and I suspect at least several others.

I'm sorry, but there is no chance of MJ going back to CDDB.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2002, 11:12:48 am »

>> The only major player still using CDDB is Winamp.
it is only a matter of time.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

gamayfield

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2002, 11:45:05 am »

I just paid (in the last 7 days) for MJ for CDDB support of ripping. I have plenty of vanilla rippers. I feel cheated. Where can I get my money back?
:'(

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2002, 12:12:04 pm »

Please use yadb.  We don't support cddb.

sawtooth12

• Recent member
  • The corporate beast is always hungry for more
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2002, 09:35:19 pm »

Firstly, great software which must be commended, but the issue of the CDDB being discarded for another inferior lookup is rediculous. You say Y-whatever is as good, it's blatantly not. Maybe if you're into pop music but with my obscure musical tastes it's useless.

Secondly, you say Winamp is the only to use CDDB. Not true. I had a Mac for 8 years and iTunes for three of those years. It uses CDDB. It was perfect, found my CD EVERYTIME.

Thirdly, I dispute why one a FEW are using CDDB, why would others CHOOSE to support a smaller database when the kind is so obviously crowned? Is there some kind of incentive that WE DON'T KNOW ABOUT.

Sorry, but all of the reasoning in the world will not make me happy about this issue is CDDB is not supported. Otherwise MJ should get a transfer of all database entries from CDDB to YADB pronto!
--------------------
andrew
fusion.01 design
http://www.fusion01.com/
freelance web design & development

Skeet

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2002, 12:52:05 am »

I suspect it's because CDDB is more expensive. IMHO such an attempt to economise will backfire. If Media Jukebox wants to be the best software in it's field, why choose the second best CD recognition service?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2002, 03:09:22 am »

If you will take a minute and do a search for CDDB here, going back over the last year, you will find that there were lots of problems with it.

YADB is already much more reliable.  The database will grow.

Make sure you're using the latest version of MJ or MC.

sawtooth12

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2002, 03:14:36 am »

Nice 1. I was a little critical there... I'll just have to see how it all pans out. I do have the latest version, just find it strange that one is still allowed an option to connect ot CDDB when this has been discontinued. Your choice must've been a recent decision...?

This is one of the most cruicially vital aspects of MP3 software, so fingers crossed this works out as well as one could hope.  ;D
--------------------
andrew
fusion.01 design

wilsodg

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2002, 11:26:57 am »

>:(
Well I had the same problem, and the MJB even allowed me to re-register.  I don't believe YADB is as good.. I have just grabbed 10 CD's and YADB only had 3 registered.  CDDB has 9.  I start to use other software already for grabbing.  Plus the move in MJB 9 (stripping out function etc.) looks very much like the kinda stuff RJB tried with RealOne... maybe I need to look for another player as well.  Shame!! up till now I really thought MJB had a lot going for it...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2002, 11:34:30 am »

Plus the move in MJB 9 ...stripping out function etc....

Take a closer look please:
http://www.musicex.com/mediajukebox/comparison.html

sawtooth12

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2002, 12:07:10 pm »

I have taken a look at MJ 9 and I really don't need these features. I want an MP3 player that is intuitive, totally bug-free and therefore reliable that has a nice look. This whole 'everything-in-one' is always inferior to the best app's within each field. I rename images in Photoshop, watch tv on my wide screen with dolby digital etc. I don't need a bloated app that needs 20 mb at least of RAM to run.

Please, before the ver.9 is released, ensure that all bugs and fixes are implemented for ver. 8. Because I'll need to stick with it and don't want there to be no more support for an older version! That way I'll be a happy camper...
--------------------
andrew
fusion.01 design

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2002, 12:19:41 pm »

> I don't need a bloated app that needs 20 mb at least of RAM to run

Surely you exaggerate...it only needs 19.5 MB

It's been said many times that there will be two v9 versions...audio only and aud/vid

V9 supports long file name data burns and 99 minute CD's (plus a host of "high end" audio functions). That alone is incentive for me.

They're still pumpin out the builds in v8 when necessary, so what are you worried about?

10-27

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2002, 02:26:46 pm »

xen-uno

It is Called White Noise
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

sawtooth12

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2002, 03:39:14 am »

As far as superior recognition of audio goes and two different versions of 9 avail., I then stand corrected, this was just the impression I got from the previous post with link: http://www.musicex.com/mediajukebox/comparison.html

Anyway this subject doesn't pertain to the thread any longer, best continued elsewhere.
--------------------
andrew
fusion.01 design

plupa

• Boo!
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2002, 05:26:02 pm »

CDDB is much better than YADB, and it appears that JRiver operates and allows only mediajukebox to connect.  JRiver has decided to start it's own Database.  So in addition to paying for the software, I am now roped into being a data entry clerk for the benefit of JRiver Corp.

Anyone know where I can get an old version of mediajukebox?  

sawtooth12

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2002, 12:15:32 am »

Nice one Plupa. This puts a lot into perspective... I was not aware of the limitedness of YADB to this extreme!

I suppose the only option is to get into General Pop or to get some typing lessons and increase the speed of those fingers!

As far as paying for a license to use CDDB, I paid my $25 which living in South Africa is not small change, and would like to think that a small percentage could've gone to this functionality being included. As I've said before, I used Apple's iTunes for three years. It used CDDB and was FREE! *sigh*
--------------------
andrew
fusion.01 design

EcomMDB

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
YADB working?
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2002, 03:26:15 am »

I've tried ripping 4 CD's this morning - none of them in YADB.  Is there a problem with YADB? or just too small a database?

Thanks
Mark

PS - the last one I tried was Club Nation America V.2 from Ministry of Sound - a pretty popular dance cd......
Pages: [1]   Go Up