INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to figure out disappearing playlists on iPod?  (Read 2116 times)

btvillarin

How to figure out disappearing playlists on iPod?
« on: December 05, 2003, 12:46:19 am »

Ok, I'm getting a bit irritated.  The playlists disappear more frequently than ever before.  Basically, it ends up:

1. Update new build
2. Initialize iPod
3. Sync
4. Listen to some songs
5. Sync
6. Unplug iPod to find playlists missing

What can I do to help Steve nip this problem?  I know I'm not the only one feeling this way...

gpvillamil

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Listen to the music...
Re:How to figure out disappearing playlists on iPod?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2003, 01:29:37 am »

Save the iTunesDB file when things are going well.  The iTunesDB file is in an invisible folder called iPodControl on the iPod itself. You can access the iPod as a disk drive from "My Computer" when it is plugged in.

Then, when the playlists disappear, save the iTunesDB file as well.

Send Steve a nice considerate e-mail full of praise for the hard work he's been doing, and ask if you can send him the two iTunesDB files (in case his mailbox is full, or he can't handle large attachments at that time.)

Send the files with an explanatory e-mail.

btvillarin

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2003, 01:53:18 am »

Alright, great idea!  I guess Steve nor I thought about me sending the iTunesDB file when my iPod was ok.  So right now, everything's present...should I plug it in and send it over as well?  I already sent the messed up iTunesDB file.

btvillarin

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2003, 01:26:00 pm »

Steve explained that the method of sending a good and bad iTunesDB file is that it contains Smartlists.  

What we need to do is create small Playlists and slowly add songs.  Once the DB gets corrupt, send it.

Thinking Out Loud:

I think the best way to do this, especially if you're active and you like to have your music on hand a whole lot is to use your Smartlists to create the playlists.

I'll be lookin' for the 4 & 5 rated songs and just dragging them to static playlists.  I guess I'd add like 10 songs at a time.  And, after each sync, I'll back out of MC (making sure not to eject my iPod) and save the iTunesDB file.  Then, I'd eject my iPod to see if my playlists were intact.

* zones out *

...  :D

btvillarin

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2003, 07:12:49 pm »

Posted in the iPod thread, but reiterating it here:

I have a theory!

A bunch (not all) of my Smartlists exclude a folder of audio cuz it's not music.

Before, most were like this:

-[Filename (path)]=F:\Music\Comedy

I think the missing trailing slash was the culprit.  I quickly added a slash to all of these so that they all look like:

-[Filename (path)]=F:\Music\Comedy\

Two synchronizes later, everything's still intact.

Just a heads up in case you're one of the people who see their playlists disappearing from their iPods.  ;)

btvillarin

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2003, 03:50:29 am »

"Nope, that wasn't it.  I listened to a bunch of songs over the past few hours doing some work, and...coming home to sync...the playlists disappeared.  Back to square one."

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2003, 10:16:48 am »

Bryan,

I am going to close this thread to centralize the discussion over at the main iPod thread. Lets take it up over there.

Thanks,

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up