INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creative DAP Jukebox  (Read 1829 times)

Ammonia

• nothing more to say...
Creative DAP Jukebox
« on: December 03, 2002, 07:59:53 am »

I have worked out how to use the Creative DAP Jukebox - original model (in the main!) with MJ.

1.    Is there a way of making the files on the Creative play under control of MJ?  Obviously the sound would only be available from the DAP either to headphone or line out to HIFI system.

2.    I am a HIFI sound quality fanatic and note that the sound characteristics are significantly different if you transfer 320 bitrate MP3's using Creative's latest playcenter to if you use MJ to "upload".  With MJ the sound has more depth and perseptive and possibly clarity but less warm.  Creative gives a fatter sound but less depth.  This difference can be heard both on headphones and a high definition hifi system.  

MP3 were recorded using MJ encoder.

What do make of this?

Lawrence

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: Creative DAP Jukebox
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2002, 08:21:52 am »

NH3,

Is it a hard disk or solid state model? You may be able to treat it in Windows as just another removable disk. Not really sure why you would want to though since the files could reside on your local hard disk. Plus your JB wouldn't be very portable if you have to carry the computer around with it, too.

Maybe you have some DSP function (like an equalizer) running on the JB that is causing a difference in sound.

10-27

SteveG

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2002, 12:04:07 pm »

Ammonia,

There is not currently a way to make files on Creative play from within MJ.

Steve

Ammonia

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2002, 08:38:14 am »

"engineer" -  A chemical engineer perhaps? I live and breathe ammonia for a living as an industrial chemist!

The MJ may be carrying out some DSP before transfer - I will have to a further experiment.  I have found how you can DSP the MP3's for playback but not re-save them re-equalised ready for transfer to DAP.

I only need to run the Creative jukebox through the HIFI  to compare sound quality of different MP3 encoder software etc.  I wanted to know whether to use the Creative's playcenter or MJ or ? in the future for best quality "rip".   The source for the hifi would normally be CD or vinyl.  I just use the sound out on the computer connected the hifi for a digital terrestrial TV card (Hauppauge) and a digital radio USB (Psion wavefinder).

If you are not familar the the Creative DAP (ow the nomad jukebox)  I can detail.  It was one of the first hard drive  portables 6GB capacity.  You can store and play wav, mp3, wma.  I think the new model goes up to 20MB.  I have to say the sound quality on this device seems better since I upgraded from an ISIS to a M-Audio 2496 Audiophile sound board in the PC.

Lawrence

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2002, 09:36:50 am »

NH3

No need for coffee in the morning to wake up...is there?

Mechanical Engineer...but have always loved chemistry and especially physics.  Chart of Nucleides is awesome...you know? Pick up a block of Fe and there's at least 3 other Iron isotopes present. Groovy stuff.

MJ uses the LAME encoder by default, which is considered the best MP3'er out there. MJ has several rip modes depending on the condition of the CD. Large Block mode (default) is fast and ideal for good condition CD's. MJ also has a Secure mode that will virtually guarantee an accurate rip (on any disk within limits), the trade off is speed. I personally use EAC for rips/encodes.

10-27

Ammonia

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2002, 06:08:23 am »

Hello again Engineer and MJ guys

Thanks for the info’

I have to say that following your lead I have found some more fascinating stuff for MP3 etc on the net that these genius’s have developed!  EAC is interesting and I think I can hear the results (via sound card out to high definition HIFI) of the claimed precise digital transfer.  It is a bit difficult to get the right encoders for automatic encoding to work but I am having hours of fun!  LAME works.

MJ seems tops as an integrated package.

Nobody else has forwarded any ideas on why transfers to handheld using MJ sound different to using Creative Playcenter.  ??

Best wishes

Lawrence

SteveG

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2002, 01:25:54 pm »

Lawrence,

I am not sure about the sound differential. Perhaps you could email me a file that you have noticed has significant differences for you and I will transfer it both ways and see what my supposively well trained ears can hear (and whether my Master's degree in Music Performance is worth the paper it is printed on  :D)

steve @ jriver.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up