INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: merge ratings from two file to one  (Read 1093 times)

aussie1

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
merge ratings from two file to one
« on: December 03, 2003, 06:05:16 pm »

My siutation I have my entire music library stored as mp3 files at both home and the office. I rip CDs and add to my collection at home. Periodically I copy my entire library to the office computer. Tracks on the version at home are rated according to my wife's tastes.  Tracks on the version in the office are rated accroding to my tastes. I created two custom fields: "Wife's rating" and "My rating."  When listening at home we might make a change to the "Wife's rating" for a particular track.  When listening in the office, I might make a change to "My rating" for a particular track.

Problem:  How can I syncronize the changes?

In other words: I start with two identical files.  I make changes to a unique custom tag in each one. I want to merge the changes.  I want to automate this rather than doing it manually.

Is this possible? How?

sraymond

Re:merge ratings from two file to one
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003, 08:48:23 pm »

Here's one idea...  though it isn't very elegant.

Unfortunately, while MC alllows you to import an MPL, it doesn't allow you to update an MPL.  This means that using XSLT to combine two MPLs is needlessly complicated, but here's what you can do:

Export both libraries as an MPL (use the Export Playlist...  as MPL).  Create an XSLT that combined the two MPLs using whatever logic you prefer.  Make sure that you save the resultant "combined" MPL.  Now *delete* all the media files from you library.  [Yup...  delete from the library - not the media files themselves).  Then simply import the "combined" MPL and all should be copesthetic.

Yup...  i can hear you now:  "Delete the media files from the library?  What madness!"  Hopefully JRiver will add a way to update the library based on an external MPL.  Or maybe scott_r will write an "import" plugin to go along with his "MC XML Export".

Or...  maybe someone will write you small little plugin that does this one specific task.  But I wonder if it's easy to deal with two separate libraries at the same time.

Scott-

P.S.  I really wish JRiver opened up the library using something like ODBC.  This would make your task a breeze using something like MS Access.  I wonder what database "engine" they use?  Perhaps their own, making this a lot of work?

jleerigby

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 01:54:01 am »

Can't you copy your new files to your hard drive in the office (including overwriting some that are existing tracks) then open MC, select all files and 'update tags from libary'.  Won't that apply your existing My Rating tags to the files you just copied over?  Then you would import all files from your hard drive which would pick up any files that were not previously in your office library but the ones that were will show the correct tags.

aussie1

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2003, 04:25:04 pm »

FYI, I figured out a solution. On the office computer,  I can create and export a playlist for everything at a certain rating (say 5).  Then, on the home computer, I can import the playlist and edit the file properties for every song in the playlist.
Pages: [1]   Go Up