INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playlist Client Server model?  (Read 598 times)

rfehr

• Recent member
Playlist Client Server model?
« on: December 10, 2003, 11:14:25 pm »

My intent is to have MC (and a host of other media/home control applications) running on a server with no end user access (MC and Cinimar on a touchscreen make an excellent combination).

The issue that somewhat surprised me is how MC stores and uses playlists in it's database.  Since there is no end user access to the server machine, I had relied on the notion that I could install the MC 'client' on the users PC and the MC 'Server' on the server machine.  Users could then rip/import music, create/edit playlists, etc. on the client with any/all changes reflected in the server.

This is apparently not the case (someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong).  The server portion mearly serves up what appears to be a 'read only' a media library.

I can't allow end users access to the server account that runs all the home automation goodies (including MC).

If I give end users individual accounts on the server, playlists they create under this account are stored (it appears) associated with the userid in the jmd file (i.e. can't see user1's playlists when running MC under user2's account)

On a semi-related note, MC does not automatcilly 'watch' NTFS volumes/folders for new media.  What's up with that?  If this worked, the end user could drop new music and M3U playlists into a server folder and bam!

Someone please tell me that I'm not screwed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up