INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Did you like the Location Bar and would you like to see it return?

Yes, I loved it and miss it terribly.
- 14 (48.3%)
No, I hated it. Goodbye, good riddance.
- 4 (13.8%)
I don't really care either way.
- 8 (27.6%)
Location Bar? What's that?
- 3 (10.3%)
Another stupid poll? Don't you have anything better to do?
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Location Bar : Yes or No?  (Read 3141 times)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Location Bar : Yes or No?
« on: December 04, 2003, 08:42:29 am »

I figured since it seemed like most people in the Changes in MC 9.1.315 thread seemed to indicate that they liked the Location Bar, I'd start a poll to see what other people thought.

Personally, I thought it was a great feature and would really like to see it return. I realize that JRiver may have other influences on the product now, what with their new deal, but I don't see why everybody can't have what they want here. I know they hate options (and for the most part, so do I), but I also don't understand completely removing a feature just to avoid adding an option to hide it for those who don't want it.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:Location Bar : Yes or No?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2003, 08:48:09 am »

What toolbar buttons were you hitting a lot?  Was it really faster than right-click?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 08:58:07 am »

Tagging Mode, List Style, Tag Info, Undo, Redo, Rotate Left, Rotate Right, Rotate 180.

It was just really nice having all of that so close to what I was working on.

The two really huge ones for me were Tagging Mode and List Style.

And yes, a one click toolbar button is always faster than navigating a right click menu. Unless the command I'm looking for is top level, in which case it's the same.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2003, 09:02:22 am »

Oh, I forgot about the Back and Forward buttons... I use them all the time.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2003, 09:07:52 am »

I'd think a guy with a mouse fetish would use the forward / back buttons on his mouse.

And you won't need to keep turning tagging mode on (or off) in the next build.  That was just a bug.

List style is always on the bottom toolbar by default.  It's also a top level rightclick submenu.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2003, 09:18:44 am »

You just have an answer for everything, don't you? ;)

Alright smarty... what about the rotate buttons?

And the Undo/Redo?

(I'd actually forgotten about using the mouse - even though I think I do that more than I use the toolbar buttons - but let's also not forget that not everybody out there has a mouse fetish)

And to be totally honest... I hate the bottom toolbar. You want to talk about a waste of space? I got rid of it because I could never even remember it was there. It's just the type of place you think to look for a bottom toolbar. Even when I did remember, it, for some reason, seemed more difficult to use than it should. I can't really explain why.

As for list style... I can't really explain this either, but for some reason the toolbar seems faster to me than the right click menu. Actually, I've been having a lot of trouble with the right click menu, that I think is due solely to the number of changes that have been made to it. Mainly, I'm just constantly looking for Image tools in the File Properties menu. I just can't seem to get that through my head. But that's neither here nor there (whatever that means). The menu for list style just doesn't work for me there. I can't explain it. I think in general, it's just easier for me to find the pretty picture than it is to find that menu item. Maybe it's from too many Dr. Seuss books as a kid...

As for Tagging Mode... I'll hold off judgement until I see the next build.

I realize that most of these toolbar buttons are quicker with a keyboard shortcut (like Tag Info), but I'm a heavy mouse user. Must be that fetish thing again. ;)

NoCodeUK

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2003, 10:20:40 am »

For me I definitely preferred the image tools in the location bar rather than a right click menu.  Undo/Redo is useful there too.  Any others I'll thick of ;D  I don't have a mouse fetish and would much rather click on icons than use menus.  I guess this dates back to my amiga days...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

nila

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2003, 10:31:43 am »

It's not even just a case of if it's that much faster (yeah it is - a single click to perform tasks as oposted to navigating menu systems) but it's also just personal preferance.

I like nice buttons - for doing things frequently. When I'm browsing through my images I loved being able to just click on one - click rotate and boom it's fixed instead of having to right click, navigate to Image menu and then select the right one. All of that takes reading and navigating which slows it down quite considerably (relative to a LOT of files being dealt with one by one).

Give the toolbar the power it's been begging for - it's like a ferrari with a 70mph cap put on it - it's always dying to just use it's power and shoot of at 180mph (with me driving!!)

Make it per view scheme and let it have buttons for all the tools.
Then we really can create tagging view schemes etc with the buttons customised for it.

For the CD drive for instance you could have buttons on it for:  Update from DB, Submit to DB, Rip CD (I used to have this one - always wanted the other two there - was going to start playing with the menu xml to see if I could have added them manually), Erase CD (for CDRW disc's).

Sure it's all there via right click menu's but alot of people (me and obv. Doof included) who prefer buttons. Also - for new users - buttons scream out: LOOK - I AM A FEATURE - PRESS ME. Whereas right clicks take longer to discover.

The location bar was the closest toolbar to the files and was PERFECT for file tools for going backwards and forwards between files and tools (esp. if moved to below the panes).

It seems pretty clear thou that although some of us loved the toolbar - others (all of JRiver it seems) dont. Make it optional and you have the whole world happy :)

I know this was long but I've always been hoping the Toolbar was going to be added to with more buttons, per view etc. and that it was just lower down on your list of priorities, instead I find you guys remove it :(

fretwalker

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2003, 10:52:39 am »

I did my statement in the "Changes..."-Thread
I need the location-specific buttons where they belong - a rotation-button in media view is not needed I guess, but when I'm sorting my images I need it again and again and...it's surely faster for me than right-clicking!
General buttons have their place in the Topbar as you can see in the screenshot.

Eric
C·ustom O·n D·emand

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2003, 10:52:58 am »

The best part of the location bar was the large search box... that's what I miss most.

Ingo

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2003, 11:04:49 am »

Most definetly...it's a good spot for the search box

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2003, 11:08:33 am »

fretwalker,

What skin is that you're using in your screeshot?  I like it.

Thanks,

crow
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2003, 11:10:31 am »

I feel it to be a good innovation. It's far more intuitive now, although a little bit sluggish to respond, but Matt promised to speed it up. I only used tagging mode. Waiting for panes being resizable again!

I feel the Player display on top could also free some space, the progress bar is far too dominant.

sraymond

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2003, 11:18:53 am »

I never knew what it was called...  but I sure did appreciate it.

Scott-

JaWe

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2003, 11:43:35 am »

What toolbar buttons were you hitting a lot?  Was it really faster than right-click?

Media Library: Back, Forward, Tagging Mode, Undo, Tag Info, List Style, Playing Now
Playing Now: Back, Forward, Delete, Tag Info, DSP Studio, miniME, Full Sreen

equalizer

• Junior Woodchuck
  • When the time comes, you'll know what to do!
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2003, 02:06:57 pm »

Yes, I'd vote for leaving it. I use it all the time, it's a real time saver. When .315 was released i realized how much use was givin to it.

I vote for it to stay.
V10 all the way baby!!

rocketsauce

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2003, 04:02:33 pm »

I don't really care whether or not the Location Bar is there or not. I just don't like the new location of the Search Bar and how it autosizes and makes the currently playing track display smaller.

Rob

Listening to: 'Hard Times' from 'Dynasty' by 'KISS' on Media Center 9.1

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2003, 05:01:52 pm »

I am really sad today. What do you mean with that? V9 never had the buttons you promised us. IMO, version 9 is an unfinished product. You (I mean MC staff) asked many times for features to add, GUI improvements, and so on, and you finally build whatever you wanted. People always talked the same way. You can review old threads.

A now, I've to read how you ask if location buttons were useful... Are you kidding?

Please, just dont ask us again, and pay attention how MS designs his user interfaces (I just installed Outlook 2003).

Buff... Sorry if I seem too rude. But I dont want you to messed up again.

Uwe

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2003, 02:25:52 am »

Matt, my touchsreen has no right-click...
Uwe

JaWe

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2003, 10:02:07 am »

The header bar above lists that held the search adds a lot of noise to the interface but not a whole lot of usability.

That header bar will either become an advanced feature that's off by default, or will be redesigned to be more useful.

I hope there will be at least option to show them..

snapperocks

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2003, 02:45:25 am »

I'm with Doof
I really miss the option to go  backward and forward from the playlist to Audio.
Please reinstate the Re:Location Bar it is such a convenient feature.
snapperocks  :o
nlc

nila

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2003, 02:57:42 am »

Bump
Pages: [1]   Go Up