INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request/Idea - "Replace Tracks" mode  (Read 774 times)

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
Feature Request/Idea - "Replace Tracks" mode
« on: December 11, 2003, 11:14:29 am »

Here's something that would only be useful every once in a while, but would be a real lifesaver when you did need it: "replace tracks" mode. This mode would allow you to rip or import tracks and specify that the ripped/imported tracks were intended to replace tracks that were already in the library. The old file would be deleted, moved, or renamed (per user configuration) and the new file would take its place in the library. The filename tag of the old file would be updated to point to the new file, all tags would be stripped from the new file, and all tags from the old file would be written to the new file. Ideally, this could be done on a per-track or per-album basis--e.g. you could say, "replace all tracks in this album (in MC) with tracks ripped from this CD". This would allow you to re-encode the CD to a different format. Or, you could say, "replace these three tracks with these three files on disk" (if, for example, you downloaded--*ahem* I mean bought--a higher-bitrate version of some tracks that you already had.

Possibly one way to implement this would be to highlight the tracks you are replacing, right-click, and choose "Re-rip" or "Re-import", which would bring up a dialog box containing options for how to get the new tracks and which new tracks would replace which old tracks (for example, "replace each old track with the new track that has the same name" or "replace each old track with the new track that has the same track number").

I realize that this feature would be pretty complicated to code. Personally, I would sometimes find it really useful. Maybe others would too... at least it's out there in the universe now :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up