INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WMA license bug  (Read 1446 times)

aleph2

• nothing more to say...
WMA license bug
« on: December 12, 2003, 02:05:34 am »

I have a problem with the Media Server.  When authentication is enabled, the client is unable to play WMA files, giving an "unable to acquire license, error code 0x80070005" message.  The files do not have DRM enabled.  MP3 files play fine.  WMA files play fine when authentication is turned off.

I've noticed that a few other people reported this (or a similar) problem.  I understand that this may be due to an interaction between MJ and WMP9, but I don't consider uninstalling WMP9 or re-acquiring all my media in a different format to be viable options.

Considering that MJ8 is no longer actively developed, I would like to request an official statement from the MJ team:  will you (try to) fix this bug in MJ8?  Is it fixed in MC9?

If you want to fix the bug, I'd be happy to help you isolate it.  As a possible lead, the Media Server shows the following messages when a file fails to play:
unknown header <X-Accept-Authentication>
unknown header <Supported>

Software versions involved:
MJ 8.0.400 (registered)
Media Server 1.0.135 (protocol v0.9)
WMP 9.00.00.3075
WinXP/Pro, all patches

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re:WMA license bug
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2003, 03:14:59 pm »

The way that the latest MJ/MC builds handle wma's has changed (for legal reasons). That's all I know about it and maybe someone from JRiver can comment. My suggestion is to dump the wma format and stick with mp3. If your looking for a format that sounds good at all bitrates, then check out ogg (which is about 75% of the media in my library). Maybe wma is handled better with MC...I don't know (I have it but I have no wma's).

10-27

aleph2

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2003, 04:27:48 pm »

Thanks, I've read previous messages on the topic but I find "legally motivated changes" to be too vague of an explanation to accept.  Also, as I mentioned, converting to another format is not a viable option for now, though I'll consider it in the future.

Point is, MJ used to work with WMA, it doesn't any more.  Can and will J River do something about it?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2003, 04:34:28 pm »

i think if you find that if you re-rip the files it should work, i am not sure this was all J Rivers doing to make the files not play, if i am not mistaken it may have somthing to do with the new files Microsoft put out in the past month to be included with all programs that use Windows Media Files and also updates that have been sent to users as updates using Windows Update.

it seems microsoft is getting strict in making sure that all files played are legal, and that may effect all users using the windows media format.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

aleph2

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2003, 05:02:44 pm »

Re-ripping all my CDs is a major undertaking, especially since I don't have all of them with me right now.  Furthermore, I have lots of (manually built) playlists that I'd have to recreate afterwards.  Finally, I have some music I bought in WMA format, and hence can't convert without loss of quality.

I admit that it seems likely that Microsoft is responsible for the breakage.  However, as a customer of J River, I don't particularly care who's at fault -- I just want my software fixed.  I'm asking whether J River is able and willing to do this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up