INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC9 tag behavior  (Read 2772 times)

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
MC9 tag behavior
« on: December 11, 2003, 05:03:33 pm »

I did some tag editing (genre and album) in MC9, and then opened up the files in another mass tagger to do some other editing.  One of the things I did in the mass tagger was to delete the contents of the Comment field.  When I wrote the tags, the original contents of the comments filed disappeared, but "Media Center" showed up in its place.  I can't delete "Media Center" from the comment field or overwrite it with something else.  However, when I open the files in yet another mass tagger, I can delete "Media Center" but when I do , its replaced by some numbers, which I can then delete.  This is, to say the least, very time consuming.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
Re:Rude MC9 tag spam?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2003, 05:23:08 pm »

(Not sure if I got the point...)
Had the same question a time ago. Everything works fine, it's a problem with some taggers. "Media Center" is NOT in the comment field, but in a kind of extra field.
I didn't realy understand, but perhaps this will help you:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=16216;start=msg110266#msg110266
(Hope this helps...)

jleerigby

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2003, 05:24:08 pm »

No doubt the King will be along soon to explain the nuances between the different tagging versions.  

All I can say is why on earth would you want to use another tagging program?  This is one of MC's most powerful features.  There is very little that MC can't do when it comes to tagging.  Tell us what you're trying to do to make you resort to another program.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2003, 05:44:31 pm »

No doubt the King will be along soon to explain the nuances between the different tagging versions.

I was going to like 10 mins ago, but dinner was ready (I was cooking stake, Onions and Mushrooms)

Also I just did not feel like it

However MC9 And MC10 Uses Comment Fields To Hold Information And Uses The Comment Fields I.A.W. ID3v23 Standards Not All Programs Do And The "Media Center" Is Not Spam Or Is Used For Spam (Even thou I wanted them to do this years ago).

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

bvm

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2003, 07:00:00 pm »

There is very little that MC can't do when it comes to tagging

I agree it's a pretty good tagging program, about as good as any other I've found.  The main thing I wish it could do (which I've mentioned over in the MC10 feature request thread) is import tag info from an edited exported playlist.  That would allow me to use a text editor of my choice (happens to be xemacs) to do mass tag manipulation that I can't easily do in MC.

But if MC's "Find and Replace" dialog supported:

* Regular expressions
* Conditional replace (i.e. approve each change)

then I'd be pretty happy, though it's still more tedious to jump around among fields and move/copy text from one place to another in MC than it is in my text editor.

zevele10

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2003, 07:00:33 pm »

When people listen to my songs they got from a forbidden software, they are so pleased with the quality of the rip and convertion that ,when they see MC in tags ,they just buy it

MachineHead

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2003, 08:14:29 pm »

This would be nice to get cleaned up some. MC should use meta-data differently then what it does. Read: just update its internal DB instead of writing all this business to the files if it isn't really necessary. IE Replay Gain could be a meta-tag instead of a comment tag. Optional type of thing would be great. (Y/N update tags-?)

Please consider this for 10.

Shady Bimmer

• World Citizen
  • (too busy listening)
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2003, 08:44:09 pm »

Read: just update its internal DB instead of writing all this business to the files if it isn't really necessary. IE Replay Gain could be a meta-tag instead of a comment tag. Optional type of thing would be great. (Y/N update tags-?)

Tools->Options->Tree and View
Click on a library tag, then click the 'Edit' button.
Check/Uncheck 'Store in File Tags (when possible)'

This takes care of individual tags and whether they are stored in just the library (MC database) or also in the media files themselves.

Tools->Options->General
Check/Uncheck 'Update tags when file info changes' for whether MC should generally update file tags or not.  Some folks like to leave this unchecked, do all their editing, then in one shot:

Tools -> Library Tools -> Update Tags (From Library)

To manually update their files tags all at once.

Or did you mean something different?  This gives you complete control over what *you* want stored in file tags and not.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:MC9 tag
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2003, 09:40:11 pm »

This is not an MC problem and the term SPAM is not appropriate or appreciated.

Please keep it on track.

Marko

Re:MC9 tag behavior
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2003, 02:08:33 am »

I can delete "Media Center" but when I do , its replaced by some numbers, which I can then delete.  This is, to say the least, very time consuming

As has already been said, MC keeps additional info in id3v2 "frames". These are what you are seeing in your editor. Now, are you aware that the numbers you saw, then deleted, are actually audio analysis figures that MC uses for replay gain? If you make use of this feature in MC and if the data is still in your database, I'd recommend you do an "update tags from library" at your earliest convenience. If the data has gone from your database, you have no option than to re-analyse your files for replay gain.

zevele10

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2003, 03:28:53 am »

Beside it :

I have a lot of songs where i can see the name of the riper program, the lame encoder version and so on.
I mean ,i do not see it in Mc ,but in other programs...

So ,this is not a MC only beheaviour

Another point:
JimH is kind of 'an old hippy ' with still some values of honnesty, trust and so on.
It may sound silly, but i'am sure that he would not use any dishonest, or spam lookalike twist in his business.

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2003, 10:26:48 am »

I apologize for any offense I may have caused by the use of the word spam. However, it seems to be undisputed that MC places information in the comment field without giving me control over that.  The comment is read by all tagging programs I have tried.  I don't like this feature, just as I don't like software that insists on installing itself into c:\programs\..., and I don't think writing informatiion into the tag comment filed uninvited is an appropriate thing for any program to do.  In that respect the information in the comment field is a form of spam.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2003, 10:33:42 am »

You're misinformed.  While you may not like the way MC tags, it follows the standards for tagging.  As Zevele points out above, other programs also do.

Spam is unwanted e-mail.

Marko

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2003, 10:43:58 am »

Nolonemo, all tag editors are not created equal ;)

Have a look at this one here.... mp3 tag studio. It has a small learning curve, but it will show you the complete tag structure and maybe put your mind at ease.

There is no conspiracy here, honestly :)

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2003, 03:00:03 pm »

We've drifted a little here.  What I didn't understand was why "Media Center" was showing up in my "comments" tag field in other taggers.  What I don't understand is why MC shoud write anything to the comments field.  If it needs to write stuff to the tags, surely it can stick it someplace else.  What am I missing?

I've looked at Mp3 Tag Studio, I'm using a tagger with similar capabilities, Mp3 Tag Tools, simply because I'm used to it and it does much the same stuff.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2003, 03:34:03 pm »

What am I missing?

you can read the docs at www.id3.org

Media center conforms to the standards.

maybe you should be asking the people who make the other program to allow it to handle multi comment tags.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

zevele10

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2003, 03:35:46 pm »

Ok
I will try to make me understandble-- not always the case i know.

First ,you can see in MC the 'comment 'you speak about.
Not in Tag Info , but in File Info.
You have to look at ID3V2 Tags , not ID3V1 Tags

Second , MANY OTHER PROGRAMS WRITE IN COMMENT ID3V2, not only MC.

Here things i see in some files i still have to fix:
In ID3V2 Tags ,under comment or COMM- depanding the kind of program you use.

-[MusicMatch-Tempo]:None

-Encoded by CDex 140FR

-Encoded by iTunes V3.o.1

-Encoded by DinausaurProgger Using Lame 3.93.1

If i spend more time , i can give more exemples

Again ,this is not in the Comment field you see in your player.
So it does not disturb you concerning your tags.

Just remove ID3V2 Tags from any song.
Like it you will have peace of mind.

But ,no ID3V2 Tags== no picture , lyrics, bio, replay-gain ect ect

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2003, 04:01:32 pm »

OK, I'm getting clearer on this, thanks everyone.  It seems that because Mp3 tag tools does not handle mulit-comment fields, it can't overwrite the comment field when it holds mult-comment information.

It is still my position that I don't like ANY program writing to my tags without telling me, though.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2003, 04:05:43 pm »

It is still my position that I don't like ANY program writing to my tags without telling me, though.

well you can turn this off in the plug-in manager and configure how tags are saved or not saved.

you can turn off tag writing for MP3s or change the type of tag to be saved.

Also If You Go To Options, Tree & View, Library Fields, You can turn on and off the fields that are saved to the file.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2003, 04:44:36 pm »

MC (315) does not appear to be writing in the (base) Comments tag.

I have MC set to strip out ID3v1 tags. I intentionally slaughtered the Album (TALB) tag text and saved it to see what MC would do...

from File Type Info

MPEG-1 Layer 3
180 Kbit VBR (with Xing header)
44.1 Khz Joint stereo

Copyrighted: No
Original: Yes
Protected by CRC: No

ID3v1 Tag: none

ID3v2 Tag: (1777 bytes)
  TPE1 (Lead performer(s)/Solo..): Delibes
  TRCK (Track number/Position ..): 8
  TALB (Album/Movie/Show title): The Hungerary
  TIT2 (Title/songname/content..): Lakme
  TCON (Content type): Soundtrack
  TYER (Year): 1983
  COMM (Comments): EAC: Lame 3.92 @ alt pre std
  COMM (Tool Name): Media Center
  COMM (Tool Version): 9.1.315

As you can see, MC writes some extended comm tags and did not disturb the existing Comments tag. All the tag info shows up correctly in WinAmp 2.91 as well (MC specific tags do not show up at all). I normally use EAC to rip, but as a test, I used MC. In the resulting file, the Comments tag was empty...as it should be.

10-27
Pages: [1]   Go Up