INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shoutcasting - Online Radio Streaming etc  (Read 2910 times)

Dex Methorphan

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
Shoutcasting - Online Radio Streaming etc
« on: December 04, 2003, 02:44:05 pm »

Is there any possibility of having a 'shoutcastesque' or shoutcast compatible! plugin with Media Center?

I do a weekly online radio show thru www.radioaid.com and would LOVE to be able to use MC for it instead of Winamp.

pretty please? ;D

Dex Methorphan

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
Re:Shoutcasting - Online Radio Streaming etc
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2003, 09:21:35 pm »

So I take it thats a no...

:'(

LisaRCT

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 11:20:11 pm »

I wouldn't give up that easily.
Sheesh . .  . only 6-1/2 hours of labour would be a breeze, I am sure you can be more patient than that when there is not physical pain involved   ;)

Just kidding   ;D

Dex Methorphan

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2003, 10:50:41 pm »

Well... This isn't the first time I've posted about it and not got any replies... And I did sit and watch the developers answer many other questions in that time... This thread however wasn't even getting any "views"(just like last time).

Therefore, being a scientist, I deduced that it was safe to make the aformentioned assumption.

kapish? :P

Dex Methorphan

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2003, 12:29:41 am »

Phydeaux

• World Citizen
  • No comment... ;)
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2003, 01:37:37 am »

AFAIK (this is the third post in three that I've used that exact phrase!) you CAN use the shoutcast plugin with MC. You need to install shoutcast (I assume in Winamp?) and then click on "Tools | Plugins" (is that even where it is... My memory ain't what it used to be) and then there should be a button somewhere to "Add Plugin".

This dialog box will ask for a *.dll file and you need to point it to the shoutcast dll. Once that is done, it is simply (I think!) a matter of selecting the shoutcast plugin as active...

Please don't ask about legality of this (although I can't see that there would be a problem) and understand that stability is not _AT ALL_ guaranteed or implied. :)

Anyways, happy experimenting!

P.
"Evil will always triumph over Good because Good is dumb." -- Spaceballs

Dex Methorphan

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2003, 02:16:44 am »

holy crap!  ;D

at the very least, thats a start!

If it is a legal thing, I'd even advocate for making their own version of the server side of shoutcast... I'm not sure how things work aside from I connect to my friends mega huge bandwidth laden server and it then spreads the streams out to up to 100 people at a time... Whats real cool about it, is I connect twice in winamp, one is at 32kbps for dialup users and the other is at 128kbps for the broadband... Tis a good thing.

I'll try this tomorrow when I'm not doing pesticide research. :P

Thanks a bunch.

MGD_King

• Citizen of the Universe
  • It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2003, 06:25:16 am »

The easiest way to do this is to launch Winamp, fire-up the shoutcast plugin, connect to a server, and configure the shoutcast plugin to broadcast from the "Line-In." No need to move anything, if it comes through your soundcard, it will be broadcast, so you can use MC. The only thing that is not supported is the track name and artists data won't be broadcast with your stream as it does when you use Winamp.

Dex Methorphan

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2003, 02:58:19 pm »

To get it to broadcast from line in tho, I'd need to run a 1/4" stereo plug out of my waveterminal and back into the inputs...

line in, is in fact, the line in... so the audio from MC will go out the line out, but it needs to come back...

thats not a good solution.

ahh well... It'd be cool to do live stuff tho :P Then again, I might as well use line in from winamp where we know the plug is stable... I've been planning on doing live gigs over the net too... (knew how to already) but somehow, this thread has me more motivated to do so.  :P

Dex Methorphan

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2003, 12:46:27 pm »

Aside from ease of use, the reason I really want this, is because MC's crossfader is infinitely better than any of the available ones for winamp... and as I found out a couple of weeks ago, the one I had finally chosen, because it worked well, made the audio go all funky and "staticy" as one listener said, the moment the crossfade kicked in and remained until the next song was at 100%...

Media Centers crossfade is sweet :D

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2003, 01:17:32 pm »

To get it to broadcast from line in tho, I'd need to run a 1/4" stereo plug out of my waveterminal and back into the inputs...

line in, is in fact, the line in... so the audio from MC will go out the line out, but it needs to come back...

Why isn't it?  Sounds like it would work.

MGD_King

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2003, 05:04:16 pm »

Why isn't it?  Sounds like it would work.

It does work. That's how I have my system set up. I go out the line out of my soundcard into a mixing board, out the main outputs of the mixing board, and back into the sound card. This way I'm able to broadcast my voice as well as the tunes. It also allows for more control with the mixing board so that I can broadcast a constant sound level.

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2003, 10:25:47 pm »

Having Shoutcast support would mean that you could use almost any MP3 player as a client for MC streams... That might be a good thing. Perhaps J River could launch a free, lightweight client version of MC?

MGD_King

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2003, 09:04:42 am »

Using Line-in is a work-around, not really a solution.  I use line-in for other things (I video edit).  Also, Mic is used by the TV tunder card.  With Winamp you needn't mess with anything...the plugin works with the app.  That is what I'd like to see here...shoutcast that worked as a plugin for MediaCenter without any of the work-around mumbo-jumbo.  The interface for MC would lend itself so nicely to Shoutcasting.

You could run your cd player through the line-in too, but that wouldn't be the same as having *real* support for it in the application.  One of the selling points for ShoutCast is that it passes the song info with the stream...wouldn't work with line-in.

--Thomas

As I said earlier in this thread, if you have Shoutcast running and set to "Line In" it will broadcast anything that is played through the soundcard's line output. I use a mixing board so I can broadcast from a microphone as well.  Shoutcast only passes the song info if the tracks are played with Winamp. I could play the tracks in MC, and yes, it will pass the songs, but it won't pass the track info. That's why when I'm broadcasting I use Winamp, because it's the only app that passes the track info to Shoutcast, which makes sense as they are from the same company.

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2003, 01:25:28 pm »

MGD_King

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2003, 02:04:52 pm »

Right...and since the original question to thhread was, "Is there any possibility of having a 'shoutcastesque' or shoutcast compatible! plugin with Media Center?", I've tried to point out that Line-In is a work-around, not a solution.  The request was for a plugin.  Is anyone working  on a plugin?  Is there any interest from the MC people on developing some sort of streaming plugin?  Who knows...the question still goes unanswered.  Are there work-arounds, yes (I posted detailed intsrtuctions in another thread about how to use line-in), but those solutions don't work for everyone (me, for example, who is already using both mic and line-in).

Yes, my method is a work around. As far as the crew at MC working on a plugin, I have no idea and I agree it would be nice.

Another work around that I have is that I'll create a playlist in MC, export it to a M3U file, and then import it in Winamp because Winamp is just too clumsy when it comes to importing files and creating a playlist that way the song info is broadcast with the music.

Drowbe

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2003, 04:33:38 pm »

Maybe this can get you one step further?
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=15520
I downloaded this and have just given it a whirl...unfortunately, MC told me it was an unsupported plugin type.  Bummer.  I was pretty thrilled about it...
Another work around that I have is that I'll create a playlist in MC, export it to a M3U file, and then import it in Winamp because Winamp is just too clumsy when it comes to importing files and creating a playlist that way the song info is broadcast with the music.
Good idea.  I have another OLD pc I've set up to use just for braodcasting.  I'll pass the playlists from MC to it based on your idea...then I can just stream the music to myself to *listen* to it.  Not as good as a direct plugin, but gets around the fact that my linein is unavailable...plus it will show the song names.

Cheers...

Dex Methorphan

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2003, 11:10:43 pm »

As its been said, the line in method is great and all, but it screws up the aspect of shoutcast that is most appealing to indie artists like myself: broadcasting of band name and track title.

I do this for www.radioaid.com. Radioaid is the brainchild of a good friend of mine... The main concept being to get good indie artists the airtime they deserve.  So I play a mix of signed/unsigned. The "signed" bands get play as a means  to rope in the people who normally wouldn't listen to indie radio... Having the names broadcasted means exposure for the indie artists, which is the intent of my radio show.

The line in method is a good idea for when I do live band sets, but at that point, I might as well use winamp once again... At least in winamp, shoutcast will be broadcasting something like "dexter methorphan live radio" so listeners will know what they are hearing.

The other beautiful thing, as I have said about MC, is getting that crossfader into action with shoutcast...

And as someone said about making m3u playlists and then just using winamp, of course... I do that for the first few tracks of the show to get going, then add things as the mood unfolds(in winamp) I'd love to be doing it all from my huge 6000song library in MC though, rather than browsing files in explorer and right clicking "enqueue in winamp" cuz I have made the mistake of accidentally selecting "play in winamp" which SUCKS. embarrassing...

anyway... SHOUTCAST!!!! :D

MGD_King

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2003, 11:44:27 am »

And as someone said about making m3u playlists and then just using winamp, of course... I do that for the first few tracks of the show to get going, then add things as the mood unfolds(in winamp) I'd love to be doing it all from my huge 6000song library in MC though, rather than browsing files in explorer and right clicking "enqueue in winamp" cuz I have made the mistake of accidentally selecting "play in winamp" which SUCKS. embarrassing...

anyway... SHOUTCAST!!!! :D

What you can also do (which is another trick that I've learned) is to have Winamp set to always on top, and then view your media directories, and then drag-and-drop right into winamp. That saves that embarrassing "Play in winamp" error that I've been known to do myself.  ;D

If you want a tip for doing the crossfade thing with Windamp, shoot me an e-mail at dj @ mgdking . com (no spaces of course  ;) ) and I'll give you some tips.

xsfo

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2003, 12:21:21 am »

Another obvious tip for Winamp is the change the default action (when you double-click a mp3) from play to enqueue so you can't accidently replace what's playing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up