Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bugs?  (Read 1312 times)

MusicHawk

• Citizen of the Universe
Bugs?
« on: December 14, 2003, 03:25:15 pm »

I just upgraded from MJ8 to MC9.1, which installed as 9.1.308. (I know there's newer beta but I can't risk harm to my huge music database.)

These appears to be bugs that I don't see mentioned anywhere:

1. Fields list (Ctrl+O > Tree & View > Library Fields) -- The built-in field Recording isn't in the list. I want to customize it to allow only values S;M;R (Stereo, Mono, Rechanneled). I can add my own field of the same name, but then it doesn't appear in the Tag Info Extended box. The solution is to be sure ALL internal fields are available in the Library Fields list.

2. Windows positioning -- Some aspects of MC assuming Windows has the Start bar at the default bottom of the screen. But it's movable, and for good reason; many companies standardize on the Windows Start bar at the TOP of the screen (same position as a Macintosh) because it's ergonomically better at the top. (Old-timers will recall Microsoft moved the Windows 95 menu bar to the bottom after Apple Computer sued.) The problem with MC is that some smaller windows open at the very top of the physical screen, rather than within the active area of Windows (as they should). This causes them to get stuck beneath the Start bar, with their close button buried. It's a hassle for the user to unlock the Start bar, move or close it, move the MC window, then reopen and relock the Start bar. The fix is for MC to only write to the active app area of Windows, not the physical screen area.

Not bugs, but wishes...

3. The value of MC to me is the powerful database to manage my huge library. Therefore, it's distressing to see that the size and position of the tag-editing dialog is so poor. It needs to be a much larger form able to display without scrolling all the fields chosen and ordered by the user, editable or not, with sufficient field size to type/edit contents. Maybe it can popup on top of the Tree; does anyone edit a file's tags simultaneously with jumping around the Tree? Or maybe the tags form can open across the bottom 25% of the files table (or even across the entire window), taking care to scroll so the file being edited is still visible. Right now, the number of keystrokes necessary makes MC a weak choice for library management. As Music Match finally gets an improved UI, it's not time for MC to slip backwards!

4. Scattering buttons and toolbars all over the screen is not productive. Does a user really need two buttons and a menu choice to burn a CD? Is this something that is done in a rush, repeatedly, every few seconds? No, but the screen space devoted to it could be used for tasks that are more frequent. Similarly, there are several places where the UI uses a huge amount of space to display not much.

5. How about at least one skin designed simply to be readable, with no gimmicks, no gray-on-gray colors, etc? Does everyone want a visual thrill when managing a database?

Terrific product, though quite peculiar that version 10 is upon us while 9 has loose ends.

Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

rocketsauce

Re:Bugs?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2003, 04:46:42 pm »

I can add my own field of the same name, but then it doesn't appear in the Tag Info Extended box.

When you add a custom field, you can specify the Category in which you want it appear (ie., General, Extended, Audio, etc).

...it's distressing to see that the size and position of the tag-editing dialog is so poor. It needs to be a much larger form able to display without scrolling all the fields...

In MC9.1 you there is an option to undock the Tag Info dialog. Then you can resize it to any dimensions you want. In MC10 the dialog is no longer undockable and Matt has said he's not sure if this will change.

...there are several places where the UI uses a huge amount of space to display not much.

The interface has changed a somewhat in version 10, so it is a little better in this regard.

Does everyone want a visual thrill when managing a database?

Apparently. :) Try the Windows Classic skin. It's the only one that I've been able to use consistently.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=15333

Not bugs, but wishes...

Well, since development has moved on to version 10, it's highly unlikely that there will be any major updates (other than possibly bugfixes) to 9.1. There certainly will be no additions or changes to features. Version 9.1.316 is probably close to the last version of 9.1.

Rob

MusicHawk

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2003, 05:01:33 pm »

Thanks for the help. Undocking the tags dialog is sort-of a solution that I hadn't noticed.

Though I can add a Recording field and put it in a tag category as you say, there still must be a bug in that the built-in Recording field isn't in the Library Fields list. I think it's the only one omitted. I hate to add a field to do the job of an existing field that is only slightly broken (all I want to do is specify my own allowable values for the Recording field).
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2003, 06:49:08 pm »

I just upgraded from MJ8 to MC9.1, which installed as 9.1.308. (I know there's newer beta but I can't risk harm to my huge music database.)

This build is definitely better than the one you're using now:
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter91316.exe

MusicHawk

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2003, 07:47:54 pm »

I just took your advice and installed 9.1.316. I'm sure there aer benefits, but it doesn't fix the Recording field bug, so I'm hoping there will be a few more revs of 9.1. I know it's tempting for a company to abandon a prior version once a new one rolls out -- chasing new money. But that's not exactly fair to customers.

rocketsauce

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2003, 09:27:07 pm »

there still must be a bug in that the built-in Recording field isn't in the Library Fields list.

Well, it may or may not be a bug. It's possible that, for some reason, it was decided not to include that field anymore. Maybe Matt will comment if/when he sees this thread.

Rob

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2003, 10:21:37 pm »

Only major bugs will now be fixed in 9.1.
Pages: [1]   Go Up