INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ screens are mostly black  (Read 1260 times)

tbrochny

• I'm a llama!
MJ screens are mostly black
« on: December 10, 2003, 11:28:20 am »

After upgrading to MJ8 "Plus", something has happened so that, at startup, the screens are almost entirely black and cannot be read.  This problem persists even after a complete uninstall of the program and removal of the installation directory.  Is it possible the problem is with MJ files that are "hidden" elsewhere on my machine?  

Thanks in advance for sharing your advice.

Tristan Baier
"tbrochny"

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:MJ screens are mostly black - can't read them!!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 11:39:32 am »

What version are you using?  Is it the latest?

Try removing the registry entries during un-install.

tbrochny

• I'm a llama!
Re:MJ screens are mostly black
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2003, 12:22:14 pm »

Hi, Jim.

a.  The MJ8 version is the latest -- just downloaded from the web site.

b.  After uninstalling, I ran Norton WinDoctor, which I believe to have removed all invalid registry entries -- make sense?  

I believe that there are other MJ files still "hidden" on the system because, when I do a fresh install, the installer remembers the non-default install location I used on the previous install -- even though that directory no longer exists and presumably all references to it in the Registry have been eliminated.  Do you think this is an avenue worth pursuing?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 12:34:20 pm »

he was refering to when you use the MJ uninstall it will give you an option to also remove the registry entries if it is checked.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

GregG808

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2003, 07:06:11 pm »

YES!  Yes to the black screen AND a hidden file!  I have the EXACT SAME THING - I posted recently about BOTH issues in this thread (my posts start about halfway down):
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=17304

Although it opens on my screen okay, it opens on another user's screen EXACTLY as you describe - black, weird-looking, unusable, unnavigatable.  So he can't use it, period.  I finally just gave up trying to solve it, it was making me absolutely crazy.

Also, if you continue reading my posts on that thread, I write about a "hidden file" that never deletes, because despite repeated uninstalls/fresh downloads/reinstalls, my full name and license # appear in the software automatically.  It IS leaving something on our computers and I think it's also linked to the black screen problem.

I did not ever use the MJ uninstall, always through Windows.  Because MS always says use Windows to remove programs.  I have really given up but at least glad to know I am NOT going soft in the head - no one here knew what I meant by the "black screen".

It's definitely worth pursuing, but other than coming here to ask, what can we do?  I paid for a license and now the person (the other user) who is the person who REALLY wanted to use it, cannot do so.

tbrochny

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2003, 11:12:38 am »

Well, I uninstalled MJ8 again, this time using the uninstaller that comes with the program, then ran the Norton WinDoctor, and then installed MJ8 once again.  The black screen problem - clearly the same thing reported earlier by GregG808 - was gone!  I did do one thing differently, and that is that I chose the default installation option instead of specifying my own installation parameters, as I did the earlier times.  Don't know if this may have made some difference to the outcome, but if others are struggling with the same problem, this may be a relevant detail.  

Thanks to those who offered me suggestions, and Happy Holidays to all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up