INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature idea: Referenced Bio's and Lyrics  (Read 1882 times)

NoCodeUK

• Citizen of the Universe
Feature idea: Referenced Bio's and Lyrics
« on: December 17, 2003, 03:30:52 am »

I was just reading Zeveles thread concerning tagging various file formats and it gave me a good idea for a feature.  The problem has arisen recently where peoples library files have started to become too big due to the addition of all the bios, lyrics, etc.  Someone mentioned about making the database relational and said this would help.  I think I have come up with a better idea.  If all of these files could be referenced within the mp3 rather than stored in the mp3 and then MC could simply read the reference whenever it needed to acccess the information rather than having it tagged and in the library.  With a slight change to peoples file structure they would be able to setup what is pretty much a relational style database without having to change the MC library format.  An example tree would look something like this:

[Artist]
bio.txt (referenced by all files below this level)
   [Album 1]
        [Lyrics]
             Track1.txt
             Track2.txt
              etc...
        Track1.mp3
        Track2.mp3
         cover.jpg
   [Album 2]
    etc...
Feasible???

Any comments...

Another idea would be if more than one picture could be associated with something rather than just an album cover...this way you could have an artist.jpg in the root level and when you are in a view scheme of artists it could show the artist pic then drill down and you see album pics...all without any change to your existing library...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
Re:Feature idea: Referenced Bio's and Lyrics
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2003, 03:50:02 am »

This is an idea I wanted to post too some time ago, but then forgot. Yes, I think on the long run this should be the way to go. It does not make sense to repeat the same information hundreds of time.

nila

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2003, 03:58:50 am »

Another quicker/easier temporary solution might be to make the bios etc. like images.
MC Stores the path to the bios rather than the bios itself and the bios is saved in an external file.
MC just then loads it up like it does with cover art. Maybe make a 'Bios' window in the AW just like there's an image one? - it'd be a lot more useful for displaying the info as it's always multi line so would work better than 'Tag Info' which is single line. Just add it under the 'File properties' group?

NoCodeUK

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2003, 04:28:05 am »

That is exactly what I meant Nila.  The bio is stored as a txt file in the artist directory and the path to it is stored in the tag for each file belonging to that artist...Same for lyrics...same for art...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2003, 04:34:47 am »

I may be wrong, but I've never liked the idea of having the "bios" inside the files or MC library.

I find much more interesting to use the "artist info" feature in MC9. When I want to know something more about the life of an artist or read the review of a certain album I only have to click once the "aritst info" icon and I get all the info from AMG, inside MC, and in a fraction of a second... And what is more important... the "bio" is ALWAYS updated. Contrary to cover art or lyrics, "Bios" are per definition a living thing and change often.

Don't know how many people do not have internet connection available when using MC but for the rest, I think it's better not to have a "static" bio attached to the file or the library but having the updated version always handy.

Just my two cents.

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2003, 04:35:40 am »

That's a very good ideia but MC don't do that already? I have in some folders a *.scn file with the music file, i did a quick search on google or hydrogenaudio i don't recall wich and a *.scn file is used to extra tagging ( i also use foobar 2000 maybe it's created by foobar instead of MC )
Made in Portugal

NoCodeUK

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2003, 04:48:28 am »

I don't think that has anything to do with MC Chico.  I just did a search on the foobar forum and some guy reckoned that the SCN files were something to do with BPM Studio...as for whether MC does this at the moment it does not...the bio has to be stored with each track...as do lyrics, as does cover art making the library huge...

Adam

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2003, 04:54:34 am »

Ya i have instaled BPM Studio some time ago, i agree with you the library is huge if you want lyrics and other stuff inside media files, you gave a good ideia and have my vote  ;)
Made in Portugal

zevele10

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2003, 05:44:07 am »

First ,in my case ,around 50% of my songs are not  find in AMG bios.
So no help to use the net .Means i put Bios myself.

There is another thing i would be able to do - like in MusicMatch-: it is to use Notes to put infos concerning the album- the ones found in AMG for example.
And of cause to be able to see them.

I'am not competent enought to say how to do it ,but:
To have Art sleeve , bios, 'notes'[ if possible] in each files DON'T MAKE SENS.
I speak about to have 500 giga plus of songs.
Let say you have all the Santana or Stones or CCR  on your hard drive,
You have more than 100 times the same bio in all Santana songs ,you have 10 times the same  art sleeve and 'notes' [if possible] for each album.

Like it , 45 giga of songs can give 60 giga at the end.
I saw that people strip they tags to use server , look like quite like a big problem.

Any infos who is link to much than one song needs to be traited as art sleeve in folder is traited.

Concerning more than one picture in the art sleeve , this is a must to be feature in my not so humble opinion.
Maybe it is possible to do creating a slideshow folder for each album,i do not know if yes.
But ,even if yes, look like it may takes quite a lot of time/work to do it.

I do not know if i'am right ,but i think that all infos in a folder would allow each kind of file type to get all the infos when playing.

But i do not know about burning the files on data cds .
In this case ,any way to burn the 'info folder'
If yes ,any way to point songs to it when playing the cd ?

Another thing i would like is to be able to have the option to put one art sleeve who is in the tag in an art sleeve folder. And to remove from all files the art sleeve in tags to point them to the art sleeve folder.

I hope you can understand what i mean in this post.

I know EXACTLY what i would like. But i'am not  power user enought to express it very well.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2003, 05:52:20 am »

Zevele,

I think what you are wanting is pretty much what I am proposing.  For cover art you can already do what you want.  I have all my cover art stored as a folder.jpg in the album folder and all MC does is conatin a reference to the file.  None of my files actually contain the cover art.  With the idea I am proposing all of the extra data would be referenced from within the files and used by MC so if you burned the CD as a data cd with mp3 all the data would still be accessible from within MC...if you burned it as an audio cd it would not but then it isn't at the moment either ;D

Hope that was clear...

Adam

LisaRCT

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2003, 06:28:12 am »

. . . this sounds all so vaguely familiar for some reason . . . .  :-\

NoCodeUK

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2003, 09:10:11 am »

Did we think it was a good idea when it was suggested before?? ;D

NoCodeUK

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2003, 09:19:40 am »

Just had another idea...if this was set so that the external files were viewed in MCs internal browser we could decide on the fileformat allowing the files to be customised how we wanted them...for example the file could be html with a css.  More sophisticated could be if all the bios etc were stored in a single xml file and then were accessed and styled using an xslt...this way people "in the know" could edit the XSLT to get Bios to display how they wanted them to appear...

Adam

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2003, 09:32:24 am »

By the way in hydrogenaudio Spoon ( dbpoweramp) started a thread about making a new standard tagging system http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?showtopic=16532&
Made in Portugal

LisaRCT

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2003, 10:15:33 am »

Did we think it was a good idea when it was suggested before?? ;D

YES! Very much so   ;)

DJMUK

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2003, 11:02:35 am »

That is exactly what I meant Nila.  The bio is stored as a txt file in the artist directory and the path to it is stored in the tag for each file belonging to that artist...Same for lyrics...same for art...

Adam

This is a very good idea to avoid all the present duplication.  It also has another benefit in that the files are smaller for transferring to portable players that could not use the data in any case.

There will be opposing views on the store it in the file/store it externally choice and I would doubt that it would cause JRiver much of a problem to give the choice.

Also as mentioned later in the thread each user can make a personal choice as to the type of external file to be used to store the files.  I assume that it would not be too much of a problem for MC to show a hyperlink to the file which when clicked could open the document based on it's Windows file association.

The suggested tree structure given in the first post here is very easy to understand and I for one would like to see it come to be.

zevele10

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2003, 12:41:27 pm »

The more i think about it ,the more i think MC MUST work like it.
Not only for us speaking about it.
But this would be a real sale argument.
The first player who allow you to keep MULTIPLES art sleeves ,bios ,notes, ect in a folder link to the song.

No more tag mess , stream without problem by set only the songs to be stream.
New burn feature : set to burn your songs with only the ID3V1 tags.
-----------------------:----------------------------- including the folder with infos OR part of them

NoCodeUK

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2003, 03:50:32 am »

I think you are right.  It would also mean that the data was not at all proprietry(sp).  At the moment any MC specific tags can only be read by MC rendering them  useless to people using other programs.  If they were stored in separate files in the directory tree they could be used by other programs...

Adam
Pages: [1]   Go Up