INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC for DJing - a low hanging fruit?  (Read 707 times)

gpvillamil

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Listen to the music...
MC for DJing - a low hanging fruit?
« on: December 18, 2003, 06:58:50 am »

I was playing around with some software for DJing, and realized that MC has almost all the functions necessary to be competitive in this market.

The difficult bits, which MC is already excellent at, are the database management, audio analysis and handling of multiple soundcards.

The key functions necessary for DJing are beat matching and previewing. Beat matching requires some intelligence, but I'm sure it can be done. Previewing should be easy - Playing Now already works as a "performance queue", all that is necessary is to support playback of songs not in the queue on a different audio channel. Perhaps define the headphone output as one zone, and the main speakers as another, with a couple of buttons to allow switching?

Does any of this make any sense? I think with tiny incremental effort MC could easily compete with the Mixmeisters, etc of the world.

ThatAdamGuy

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama's iguana!
Re:MC for DJing - a low hanging fruit?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2003, 07:03:27 am »

This is interesting!  One of my acquaintances is a very sought-after swing (Lindy Hop) DJ, and he's noted that one of the reasons he still DJs with CDs is because the DJ software he's seen is "pure crap."  Another, less tech-phobic guy has also admitted that the vast majority of DJ software out there is infrequently updated, expensive, and not very well-written.

I'm not a DJ, but I really would think that MJ could compete quite nicely, especially at the bargain price of $40!

NoCodeUK

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:MC for DJing - a low hanging fruit?
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2003, 07:55:11 am »

Myself and Raistlin2000 have suggested this many times...I don't think it is a priority :(

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder
Pages: [1]   Go Up