SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
IPOD
« on: November 22, 2002, 12:48:53 pm »

Hello again,

I have posted a new Plugin (version 3.0.22) which is available at

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/downloads/plugins.pl?type=8

It includes the following improvements:

1) When you get the latest MJ v9 (9.8.02) on the fly conversion of files will only convert files that are not the preselected type. What Kurt calls Safety convert.

2) Added a second estimate for time remaining on synchronization.

3) Internal code speed improvements.

See you next week.

TimB

Re: IPOD
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2002, 12:55:51 pm »

Kurt, in response to your note on completealbum==1...

So if I create a SmartList with just auto and complete album logic then then the other SmartLists also contain the complete album logic along with other crieria , my iPod will just shuffle arouond the files already downloaded and I could also listen to complete albums?

I think you're saying this but this is my twisted way of understanding it.

Steve, I see the right-click options in Media View (didn't even think of that before) however they don't currently appear to work in MJ9 and I've reported that bug.

Thanks to all!!!

MJ is almost too powerful, there is SO much under the hood its tough to appreciate the entirety of it.

-=TIm=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

udeups

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2002, 12:56:21 pm »

Steve, with respect to your comment about random placing in the iPod F* directory structure, I'm curious as to how random that placing is. Basically, when I load my collection of 2500 mp3s on the iPod, the overwhelming majority of the songs end up in the F19 directory. Now, this isn't a huge deal, but it may be somewhat related to the song skipping/timeout issue that others are reporting...

just a thought
paul

phango13

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2002, 01:35:12 pm »

2 quick (hopefully) question for the pros...

1.  spending almost two weeks NOT getting my windows ipod to work i went thru MM, MJ, and ephpod before switching to another computer (from win2k box w/actiontec pci firewire card to win 98se dell laptop w/nec chipset pcmcia firewire card) and am actually syncing sucessfully with MJ9 and latest plugin...

so a big THANX!!   ;D

only problem is, MJ thinks my 20 gb ipod is 2.0 gb total with 2.0 gb available...why is that and/or should i just ignore and be happy i finally have something to listen to??

2.  as i trudge grudgingly out to spend even more time and money on my buggy new toy, any advice on pci firewire cards??  any of them relatively foolproof??

much thanx, beth

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2002, 03:03:11 pm »

Tim,  quick note before I go home...

If you make the smartlist with the code that I gave you, and synch with it, all of the songs called out on it (thus, all of the songs that belong to a "complete" album) will end up on your iPod.  You can then use the iPod's "browse" menu to access the music.

If you were to do this and use the iPod's "Playlists" menu, you'd see the smartlist in there, aye... but it'd just be a HUGE list of songs that may or may not be sorted in a manner that makes sense.  Use "Browse" and things'll be sorted by track like they're supposed to.

Think of the smartlist as a "loader" list.  All it's used for is to get music up on the pod.

Of course, when you start using them, you'll find that synching your iPod with smartlists is frikkin sweet, and you'll find yourself building more and more of em!

Like this one: mediatype=[audio] genre=[rock] ~t=120 ~sort=random

That'll give you two hours of rock music, picked at random from your entire library.  Each time you synch, it's a different list.  Good for when you want to listen to music but can't decide what you want... just load it up, hit play, and get surprised.

Okay, gonna be late for the ferry.  Cheers, guys... I can't wait to fiddle with the "safety convert" -- sweet!!  

Big ups to Steveo.  Have a good weekend all.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2002, 03:25:11 pm »

Steve:

Got your note regarding the file naming convention.  I'll check mine to see if they are indeed getting placed randomly, but let me ask another question.

How hard would it be to convert the file name itself to a random (or sequentially) numbered file name? That's what ephPod does (or has the option to do), and it seems to solve a lot of problems.

Sometimes you can get very strange characters in file names esp. with classical music or mixes and stuff.  I for example name my files Artist - Album - Track# - Title, pretty standard, but on Various Artist albums (or DJ Albums), I include the actual artist name in the track title so you get something like:

DJ Tiësto - Summerbreeze - 08 - Far From Over [Oliver Lieb Remix].mp3

This by the way is one of the songs that is skipping.  I'll bet it's that "ë" that's doing it.  I'll change it and try again.  'Course, with Ephpod, it would rename this file to something like 2043.mp3 so that took care of it.

I realize that this makes both the synch a little more complicated and the Copy from iPod to PC a little more complicated, but it might be the route to go to prevent this from happening.

Adam

Kurt Young

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2002, 09:27:35 pm »

I think the link for the new build is pointing to an old build, Steve.  I just downloaded it, and the plugin is dated as being modified November 20, 2002, 10:22:00 AM.  No safety convert can be found, :'(
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

willrmc

• Junior Woodchuck
  • this town is a part of us all...
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2002, 09:47:42 pm »

Ok now, i'm going to be out of town for about a week now which means no testing for me :( and we are coming along so nicely too! so when i return i'm hoping for some sweet stuff! so try not to let me down ;)
---------

TimB

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2002, 01:36:38 am »

Thoughts...

(0)  Steve you've done an amazing job.  IMHO even in beta MJ is clearly the superior program for managing my iPod and as we've said this 'large format' player is clearly the wave of the future, not just from Apple but Creative and others.

(1)  tho' it looks like Playlists will resolve my needs (AND HOW!) I do think they're a more specialized way of handling music.  If you think of the average user (which btw none of us are :) ) few are going to want or expect to use Playlists to do what they want and IMHO they (not we) are the sweetspot for market penetration.

In the interests of keeping MJ (or MC) as mainstream as possible it would seem logical to add Media Library view support.

(2) Most of my files (lets say 75%) are also going into /F19 for what that's worth.

(3) I'm still getting frozen screens but active transfers on most transfers.  Even to the point that the transfer window is saying (Not Responding)!!!  Disconcerting, specially when you're transferring files, as I sometimes am, at 802.11b speeds.  :)

-=Tim=-

jgourd

• Galactic Citizen
  • Geurilla Recording At Its Best
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2002, 04:52:15 am »

2 quick (hopefully) question for the pros...

1.  spending almost two weeks NOT getting my windows ipod to work i went thru MM, MJ, and ephpod before switching to another computer (from win2k box w/actiontec pci firewire card to win 98se dell laptop w/nec chipset pcmcia firewire card) and am actually syncing sucessfully with MJ9 and latest plugin...

so a big THANX!!   ;D

only problem is, MJ thinks my 20 gb ipod is 2.0 gb total with 2.0 gb available...why is that and/or should i just ignore and be happy i finally have something to listen to??

I think the 2gig thing is a limit in Win98.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2002, 07:42:54 am »

Steve:

OK, I think I've figured out the skipping file deal, at least I can consistently recreate it.  It seems to be due to strange characters (foreign) in the file name itself.

I have three examples:

DJ Tiësto
Sinéad O'Connor
Télépopmusik

All three of these artists appear on my iPod fine, but when you play them, iPod skips through each song rapidly w/o playing.  Seems to me like those foreign characters in the file name are what's causing the problem.  With ephpod's auto-renaming feature this did not occur.

So, I think this makes a strong case for renaming files as either a rule or an option.

I too don't see the new build  :(.  But (as always  :D) I have some stuff to report:

1. Would it make more sense to have the ipod tree sorted like the iPod?  Artist, then Album?  Right now it's reversed. Classify this as minor cosmetic.

2. I'm not liking too much the option to switch between the different views of the iPod ("Show Queued Files Only").  Unfortunately I don't have a great suggestion, but it seems like for many users this feature is too "buried" and causes confusion if you have that turned on when you click your iPod and you don't see anything there.  Maybe you could Queued files when you click the root with a second pane showing all files, and if you click one of the child items (Artists/Albums etc.) you would only show what's on the iPod.

3. When formatting an iPod that has a lot of stuff on it, the Status bar indicator freezes at 1/3.  Don't know if this is related to the overall GUI Lock issue or not.

4. I'm not seeing a status bar when I delete a large number of songs from my iPod.  Should I be?  I not, might I suggest you add on.  Nothing special on it, just a bar indicating that it's deleting.

5. To echo Kurt: Must have pretty icons :)

6. I'm not sure deleting is working write on the iPod.  I had a strange thing happen.  I had 2 "Everything But The Girl" albums, problem was, one Album was tagged with a "the" the other with a "The".  In the MJ library it displayed all under one artist.  On the ipod it displayed as 2 Artists ("Everthing But the Girl" & Everything But The Girl").  So, I deleted the songs off of the iPod, changed tags and reuploaded.  Now neither artist shows up.  I'll be sending the iTunes db to you.

7. This one's kind of a biggy I think, but REALLY important.  I think only Xplay has been able to achieve this (maybe iTunes), but here goes.  If I edit a tag on a song and I then do a sync (of all files or a playlist that included that song) then I would expect that MJ would reupload that song with the new tags.  I tested this and it didn't work in MJ.  I changed the genre on all the Songs on an Album, did a sync w/Transfer all Files and the new Genre I created ("test") did not show up on the iPod.   This is really crucial as changing *any* ipod supported tags should be made on the iPod as well.  Probably a last-modified date or I've read in other posts that there's an something in the FAT32 file system that indicates a file change--don't know for sure about that.  Anyway, I think you get the idea.

That's it for now.  One really amazing thing I've noticed (to end on a happy note) is the transfer speeds are HUGE!.  On a sync, the songs seem to be uploading much faster than w/ephpod..sub-seconds per song.  Using manual upload is much slower (but I've already nagged about that one).

Keep up the great work.

Adam

buddy

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2002, 02:07:09 pm »

I'm hoping someone can provide some help or point me to some area of documentation that I could use to diagnose the problems I'm encountering.  I've been unable to solve these:

I'm running the latest beta (had to because I couldn't convert or see my IPod).  I'm now able to convert and I see my ipod referenced as E: drive.

I've tried to 'send to' and 'drag and drop' my albums onto the ipod drive.  Nothing seems to transfer nor can I view the files already on my ipod (I had to use MM to get files there and to see what's on the ipod).  Also, I'm unable to locate this 'sync' feature everyone continues to talk about.

Would someone please provide advice?

Buddy,  ?

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2002, 07:15:17 pm »

buddy:

When you say you're using the latest beta do you mean MJ Version 9?  That's fine.  But after you installed that you have to make sure you get the ipod plugin (link at the top of this post).  If you didn't do that things won't work.

Also, MJ won't work with an iPod that has songs uploaded from MMJB (at least I don't *think* Steve has built for that yet).  It might, but the best solution is to right-click on the iPod in MJ and select "Format for MJ".  

Regarding sync, it well be in the same place, but it only works with MJ Version 9

Please bear with the plug in, it's still very much a beta.  If you're trying to switch from MMJB and want a very stable application to upload songs to your iPod, I highly recommend ephpod at this point (it's free at www.ephpod.com).

MJ's will be the best I've no doubt, but unless you're willing to put up w/some bugs it *may* not be the right tool for you quite yet.  That's you're call of course.

Adam

bmp

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2002, 08:44:23 pm »

there's been talk in these threads about downloading from the ipod a "number of times played" stat.  That'd be great down the line, but i wonder, does the ipod even keep that info?

Also, just because i'm too lazy to start a new thread and someone might read this and be able to help.

i bought a version 5 license way way way back in the day... for v9, that's not going to cut it, is it?

Kurt Young

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2002, 10:46:52 pm »

BMP,

Aye, it does.  Well, that is to say, we think it can on a PC.

On a Mac, iTunes keeps track of play count and date played, just like MJ does.  When you play a song on your iPod and then synch with iTunes, the iPod updates iTunes' play count data.  Pretty slick, eh?  I dunno if the iPod tracks play date, though.

But so far, no Windows app can do it yet.  ;)
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

TimB

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2002, 01:17:49 am »

Advice:
BMP: no the v5 license isn't going to cut it for v9. :)

Bug:
The skipping problem for me doesn't appear to be connected to the filename at all.  Today it skipped tracks 1 and 2 on starting a playlist.  If I forced it back to those tracks (I had to do it a couple of times) it got them.  More speculation but could it be the situation suggested earlier: a combination of trying to find them in that jam-packed F19 directory (I DON'T know if they were in F19 btw, I will try to remember to check later) and a skip 'cos of the delay?  Tracks 1 and 2 weren't long filenames and they had no foreign characters (one was called Cotten Jenny) .  If EphPod distributes the files more evenly across the directories this too could be the reason that EphPod skips less??

Thanks and ideas?
I finally grasp the "Playlist against an MJ9 view of my iPod database" concept and I'm uploading new playlists.  The challenge for me now is to find a way to bring the MP3's I want to send to my iPod under 20 gig without compromising too much.  Right now I'm excluding specific albums and using the completealbums==1 argument (thanks Kurt and Steve!!)  Ideally I'd be able to set ratios against specific artists (in my case Neil Young and The Who8)) as I have a disproportionate number of tracks from them.  

-=Tim=-

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2002, 07:19:00 am »

Well TimB I think we've found 2 sources for the skipping track bug.  I don't have a disproportionate number of songs in my F19 directory.  I checked them all and they each seem to be within what would be considered random limits.

So, foreign characters (not long file names) and too many songs in a single directory seem to be the cause.  At least so far.....

Adam

TimB

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2002, 08:27:27 am »

Well TimB I think we've found 2 sources for the skipping track bug.  I don't have a disproportionate number of songs in my F19 directory.  I checked them all and they each seem to be within what would be considered random limits.

So, foreign characters (not long file names) and too many songs in a single directory seem to be the cause.  At least so far.....

Adam
Agreed that both are possibilities! ;D

Could it be the way I highlighted, dragged and dropped the files into the iPod queue that caused them to go to F19 so heavily?  Or possibly that I dragged them in two batches (A-M and N-Z which I did 'cos I'm using an unpowered PCMCIA card and I didn't want to run out of iPod power in the middle of a 20 gig library load).  I know it sounds like a stretch as I'd suspect the actual library selection comes in the upload and not in the queueing up but I'm trying to work out some different about the way I did my files.

Of course another option is that there's an issue with the filesystem on Windows formatted iPods tho' that wouldn't explain why the jumping apparently happens less when using EphPod. :)

-=Tim=-

Kurt Young

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2002, 08:36:48 am »

Aye, I'd like the modifier that limits the amount of one area per smartlist... so that they don't get too heavy.  Tim, I was going to direct you to a request that I made about this very thing, but it looks like ya already found it!  ;D
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

TimB

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2002, 08:43:30 am »

Aye, I'd like the modifier that limits the amount of one area per smartlist... so that they don't get too heavy.  Tim, I was going to direct you to a request that I made about this very thing, but it looks like ya already found it!  ;D

I keep on telling my wife that I'm smarter than I look but she still doesn't believe it. :)

Yeah I thought I'd just put a plug for it in here too as I suspect that even with 20 gig we're going to want limiting methods to control our MP3 loads.  Now a 40 gig iPod would be cool, however I'm sure that a month after they arrived we'd be out of space again. ::)

-=Tim=-

SteveG

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2002, 10:13:41 am »

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the comments. I will sift through them tomorrow and get to work, but the most alarming comment I saw was that the wrong Plug-in is posted. I screwed up on my way out Friday and posted an old version. I just put the correct one up, so for anyone who was seeing what were resolved issues reappearing, please just get the latest Plug-in and these problems should go away. Sorry about that.

Steve

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2002, 02:08:46 pm »

MJ: 9.0.80
iPod Plugin: 3.0.22

OK today was my first venture into synchronisation. It went very smoothly. I started from a fresh iPod and synched with 1 smart playlist to start off with and increased the number of playlists being synched until I synched with all 22 I had created for synching. The way the playlists are set up, a lot of tracks appear in several playlists. At no point did this cause a problem.

Here are the issues I found:

1. I had 10 or so tracks uploaded to my iPod which weren't in playlists. On the iPod file listing the playlist column was empty. Resolved by selecting delete files not in lists

2. The MJ interface froze during synching. It unfroze when synching was complete. This would have been disconcerting if I hadn't known that other people had had the same problem.

3. The F19 folder contained 914 files compared to 48 in the next highest folder. The other 18 folders contained between 26 and 48 tracks.

4. I renamed some playlists after I had synched with them. The old playlists remained on the iPod and the new playlists were added. I had to manually delete the old playlists to get rid of them. The synch dialog coped with the renames which was good.

Apart from those minor quirks it all seemed to work really well although I have yet to listen to anything on the iPod. All in all the plugin is working well.

Great work Steve, thanks. :D

bmp

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2002, 05:01:46 pm »

it seems whenever i click "delete files not in list" option, it makes MJ crash on synch until i format the ipod.  latest build of each.

cheers.

mclaugh

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Re: IPOD- smartlists
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2002, 05:59:09 pm »

I've been trying to figure out how to word this question for a few days, uploading each new version of both the beta and ipod plug in.  I know I'm not going to explain this right, so I'll just fudge it and see who understands....

Like many of you, I came here from Ephpod, looking for a way to better organize my whole collection and easily maintain my Ipod  (10gig).
As such, I had two ways of putting files onto my Ipod in Ephpod- dragging entire albums/artists on, or making playlists in Winamp and dragging them on.  At any given time, my content is a mix of the two.  Additionally, I was very happy using Ephpod to make genre playlists, as well as using their auto-recently-imported playlist function.  Further, when I import a new album onto my Ipod, I would frequently make that album a playlist so that I could easily access it the next day- I would have a rotating list of 5-10 album playlists that would go with the genre playlists.
I'm trying to get into smartlists using MJ, and while I've made a couple of cool playlists (2hour rock, etc), I don't see how to make playlists of the content I've dragged on there.  
In general, as I read through the help file, I find it annoying trying to learn smartlists by flipping through the various pages in the help file.
Is there a place where I can print out all the smartlist commands, or at least read them in one place?
Secondly, what are other former ephpod users using to find similar playlist functionality to what I've detailed above?
Thanks in advance for your help- I hope my post doesn't drive the Ipod thread offtopic.....

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2002, 08:01:01 am »

mclaugh:

I get what you're saying and I've probably been the most vocal one to support it.  Steve gets it too, but has been focusing on other stuff first.

Basically what would solve your (our) issue is to add another tree item to the Synchronize dialong box.  That would be Artist.  Expaning the Artist item would list the Albums for that artist, expanding an Album would list the songs on the album.

Now, in theory you would be able to put a check mark next to *either* an Artist (in which case all Albums/Songs would be selected for sync) *or* you could expand an Artist and select Album(s) to sync, by default this would "gray out" the Artist checkbox forcing it to be selected).  Finally, as a 3rd option you could expand an Album item and select individual songs.  

To me this would be ideal because I could make playlists that I want and sync them, and I could also just have whole Artists/Albums to sync with.  But I wouldn't be forced to make a smarlist for each of the Artists or Albums that I want sync'd.  

So, I'll get off of my soapbox and let Steve get back to work, but what you've suggested is definitely a want by many users (at least I know of 3 now  ;) )

Steve:  just a note, tried the new plugin after you posted it yesterday.  Still getting GUI lock on syncs and freeze up on the status bar.  Can we give this one a high priority, it's really icky.  Also, would love a transfer speed indicator on sync if it doesn't effect performance too much (you know "7.00MB /sec").

Adam

mclaugh

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2002, 08:32:15 am »

Adam,

I agree with you about the sync for artist/album- it does allow the functionality I'm looking for.  I suppose my worry is that I will run into space problems by using smartlists- while I can specify a time for the smartlist to run, I can only estimate how much space it will take on the Ipod.

With Ephpod, you can have an organization system we're you're not truly syncing, but are maintaining random playlists as well as certain artists/albums.  This way, I get to keep my static "essentials" on my Ipod, as well as a rotating mix of content that can either be played by genre, recent import date, or my mood.
Being able to sync artist/album is definitely a good start.  

Has anyone had success defining the Ipod drive (E: or F: or whatever) as a rule in a smartlist?  That way, I could define a smartlist something like this:
type=audio, drive=F:, genre=jazz
That would give me all the mp3's marked jazz on my Ipod, and would mimic those genre playlists you can auto-generate in Ephpod.  
While you may wonder about the usefulness of such an option, I can think of two immediate uses I have for it.  One is for work, the other for driving in the car w/ others.  This weekend, I drove my parents to a pre-Thanksgiving party w/ my relatives, and set the Ipod up the night before w/ a playlist of the Jazz and Pop Genres.  It was perfect- my mom doesn't want to hear Fishbone or Public Enemy as we drive to my Aunt's house (My parents did like the Sigur Ros, though).
Know what I mean?

Thanks again to the MusicEx guys- you guys are getting so close to the Ipod sweet spot, I can smell it....

SteveG

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2002, 10:24:52 am »

Everyone,

There is so much to sift through. Let me start with a couple of things. In regards to the random placement of files. This seems to work for me and others. For those of you who are seeing a predominance of folder F19, lets not worry about this for right now.

TimB, can you give me a specific example of a right-click option that is not working for you?

Can anyone confirm or deny JGourd's response to Beth regarding 20 GB display in Win98?

Does anyone have success playing files on iPod with filenames that have foreign characters with programs other than Ephpod?

Adam,  if you change the tags on files and want the new tag info to be reflected on iPod, Reupload the files and select "Overwrite".

McLaugh, sorry the Smartlist documentation is as good as it gets other than playing with it or posting questions here. If there is something you want to do and can't, request it and more likely than not there is a way and your question can serve as a tutorial for others.

TimB

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2002, 10:36:44 am »

TimB, can you give me a specific example of a right-click option that is not working for you?
Yup, again note that this is a Win98SE issue for me.  This all works fine on my XP Pro laptop (which is the machine I use for loading my iPod).

For example:

If I right click on a non-Smartlist playlist then select Send To... then Playlist then Create/Select Playlist... I get no response.  Up to that point all the menus appear but nothing happens when the dialog box is supposed to come up.  On my XP machine I get the dialog box to select Tree (I think thats its name) and Playlist name.

If I right click on a Smartlist playlist and then select Delete.  Nothing happens and the playlist is still there even if I restart MJ9.

I haven't checked every right click option but this happens on every one I have checked.

Hope this is helpful! :)

-=Tim=-

SteveG

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2002, 10:51:08 am »

TimB,

That is incredibly helpful. I just duplicated on a 98 and have someone working on the fix.

Thanks.

Everyone,

Help me duplicate the GUI locking. Can anyone give me some steps to duplicate this behavior?

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2002, 10:53:20 am »

Steve:

Don't want to harp on it when you said not to worry about it, but I need to retract my earlier statment.  I too am seeing most of my files being stored in the F19 folder.   Just wanted to add that.

Also, regarding tag editing.  I understand if you change a tag that you need to reupload/overwrite.  What I was talking about was during a sync that if a file's tags have been changed in anyway (at least for the tags iPod reads), then the sync should pick those changes up and reupload the song.  Hope that makes sense.  This really only applies to sync.

Adam

Kurt Young

« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2002, 10:56:50 am »

Everyone,

Help me duplicate the GUI locking. Can anyone give me some steps to duplicate this behavior?
Steve,

I don't have my system info handy (MJ is at home), but I can tell you this much about the gui lock.

It happens when synching if I click on anything else (causing MJ to lose focus).  It also happens by itself about 7 seconds into a sync.  MJ remains gui locked until synch is over.  Synch completes successfully, though.

It locked on me last night while synching with the newest plugin and mj.  (BTW, I can't find the safety convert option... where is it?)
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

TimB

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2002, 11:02:23 am »

TimB,

That is incredibly helpful. I just duplicated on a 98 and have someone working on the fix.

Thanks.

Not trying to be cute here but we've had several problems (one MAJOR one that Matt knows about with .81 I think (maybe it was .80)) with 98SE.  I know that its not the preferred platform for most folks these day but any way we avoid these situations?  Like a test suite on a 98SE machine?  Just a thought.

For me I host my files on a 98SE machine and do most of my housekeeping on it too so its a particularly sensitive subject.

That said, thanks for the prompt attention to this issue. :)

-=Tim=-

SteveG

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2002, 01:24:48 pm »

Everyone,

A new build is posted. It includes:

1)  a progress dialogue during file deletions

2) Automatically renames files with non-standard characters so that they will play on iPod.

3) Random folder assignment should be more, uhhh random.

Kurt,

The safety convert is automatic. If a file does not need to convert because it is already the selected bitrate and type, the file will not be converted.

TimB,

Your comment on 98 is heard and not disuputed. We are trying to not ignore 98 but resources are thin.

Steve

bmp

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2002, 02:09:32 pm »

after some extensive testing with the new build, i have the following observation.

There is a smartlist i made, just a simple, random 2 hour list of 1 genre.

Anytime i go to synch with that smartlist in the sync queue AND "delete files not in list," something goes wrong.  

It either crashes MJ right away (this usually happens), or (and this has happened a couple times, can't recreate), it uploads 3 songs or so and then stops.

how can i help you more with this?

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2002, 03:06:03 pm »

Steve:

Regarding GUI lock.  Same as Kurt, it will ALWAYS happen if you select another app and it will *most likely* happen when you do a large sync/copy to MJ (1500 files in my example).  If I do a sync and it doesn't need to upload many files (meaning: most of the songs that are part of the sync are already on the ipod) then it works fine, but anytime you sync/upload a large set of files it will freeze.

Running WinXP Home, Latest Service Pack and all on MJ Ver 9 w/the latest plugin.

Adam

mhonard

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2002, 03:20:32 pm »

I sent out an issue with playlists not showing up on my iPOD.  I discovered that I have to format the iPOD to MJ.  Silly me.

Thanks for your help anyway

TimB

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2002, 03:24:19 pm »

I sent out an issue with playlists not showing up on my iPOD.  I discovered that I have to format the iPOD to MJ.  Silly me.

Thanks for your help anyway

I'm not sure that formatting is intuitive, is there any way to check this for the user and advise them if it needs to be done?

Just a thought. :)

-=Tim=-

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2002, 10:18:40 pm »

MJ: 9.0.83
iPod Plugin: 3.0.23

I downloaded the latest plugin and MJ yesterday and this morning tried to synch my iPod to update my random playlists. For some reason MJ did not register any of the files on the iPod. It has gone back to the really old problem of showing only the Contacts and Calendar folders. The iPod hasn't been connected to the PC since my last successful synch using MJ 9.0.80 and plugin 3.0.22 on Sunday.

I haven't got time to format my iPod and upload to it again since I have to go to work now but it is strange that it has suddenly stopped being seen by MJ. It is also worth noting that all the music still works on the iPod itself.

mhonard

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2002, 01:24:56 am »

I'm not sure that formatting is intuitive, is there any way to check this for the user and advise them if it needs to be done?

Just a thought. :)

-=Tim=-

Yeh I used the IPOd updater and never gave it a second thought.  Accidently ran across it when I was right clicking on iPOD drive letter.  Fixed alot of issues.

jgourd

• Galactic Citizen
  • Geurilla Recording At Its Best
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2002, 02:58:00 am »

Those of us who have been testing this since day one know all these little details. New folks are in a cloud.

I suggest that someone take on a documentation project for the iPod Plugin and publish their work here.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2002, 07:49:18 am »

Steve:

Did some a simple test last night.  Didn't have time for extensive testing but here's my results (good stuff).

1. Formatted the iPod Drive for MJ - The progress meter on formating still sticks at about 1/3.   This is on a full iPod that it happens.

2. Started a Sync to transfer all my tunes - The status bar kept focus and worked fine for a while.  I didn't attempt to steal focus from MJ because I wanted to see if it bombed.  I walked away and my screen saver came up (just WinXP standard one) and when I went to check MJ, it had gone into GUI lock.  I don't know for sure, but I can only assume it happened when the screen-saver came and took focus from MJ.

3. All the songs that had foreigh charters in their file names copied over fine and play fine!  Good fix.

4. Songs that were copying but not viewable on the iPod are there now.  Somehow this must be related to a database issue, but I haven't done a lot of stress testing (deleting songs, adding them back etc.) so we'll see.

Thats it.  Great build.

Adam

TimB

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2002, 09:00:56 am »

Those of us who have been testing this since day one know all these little details. New folks are in a cloud.

I suggest that someone take on a documentation project for the iPod Plugin and publish their work here.

This is a great idea in general.

However if this is a problem that 100% of users are going to see then a programmatic solution, if possible, might be better for this specific situation.

:)

-=Tim=-

SteveG

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2002, 11:54:50 am »

Everyone,

A new build (3.0.24)

Please get the latest version 9 when it is available later today.

1) There was a problem with some changes to the registry that may have caused problems with recognizing the Plug-in. This is fixed in the next 9

2) GUI lock should be fixed.

3) Rate of synchronization is added.

4) Upload failures during synch should notify what file they failed on.

bmp,

Try with the newest version to see if you get an error on a file. Also, try to narrow down the problem by using smaller numbers of files if possible.

TimB, JGourd, mhonard,

The documentation thing is a good idea, but it is hard to come up with hard and fast rules yet. Formatting definitely helps, but it depends what programs you were running before. Is it always a good idea? maybe. I designed the Plug-in to be able to start from a clean format from Windows. I would recommend to anyone who is having problems to Format their iPod from within Windows because this is a baseline that all can share.  There are many reasons not to do this if users are going back and forth between different applications so that is why I am holding off on documenting this. Your point is well taken and I will document soon.

Steve

Kurt Young

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2002, 06:15:16 pm »

This plugin is so fantastic, I just dunno what to say.  Synch is FAST, it works just the way I hoped for.  The GUI lock is gone.  There was a slight GUI lock when I was changing channels with MJ behind the synch dialogue, but that's it.  That's awesome!

Formatting iPod for MJ does cause a noticable GUI lock though.  There were about 3000 songs on the iPod when I did it, and MJ was locked up for about 3 minutes.

You've got a winner here, at least from where I'm standing.  Just need a few touch-ups and it's time for pretty icons!  ;D

No bugs to report or problems noticed tonight, so I'll suggest a couple minor touch-ups on the synch select dialogue:
* Make it so that you can put a checkmark on a playlist group and have it select all playlists and groups underneath it.
* Make it so that the "Playlists" level isn't the top level in the tree... start one level lower if you can.

Edit:  While synching, MJ said that I was sending 3273 songs, but my iPod only shows 2443 in the About dialogue.  None of the music appears to be missing, though.  :shrug:
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2002, 11:28:57 pm »

MJ: 9.0.84
Plugin: 3.0.24
Windows XP Home

I got my iPod back up and running in MJ by formatting it using the Apple updater, installing the latest version of MJ, installing the latest plugin and using the format for MJ option.

I then went for broke and synched all my synch playlists, a total of 1611 songs totalling 9Gb. Like Kurt says, the synch box came up and said it was synching 2600 odd songs. I guess it totals all the songs in all playlists, not allowing for duplication.

After the first 9 songs had synched I once again suffered from the dreaded GUI lock. The synch dialog remained frozen on the 9th song for 30 to 40 minutes until the synch had completed. It then disappeared and I had a full iPod.

Apart from the GUI lock, the plugin worked perfectly. The transfer speed is excellent and the synching works as it should. Great work Steve.

TimB

« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2002, 12:54:24 am »

XP Pro

Minor crisis last night, nothing earth shattering tho'.

I have a Firewire PCMCIA card with no power.  Tried a full iPod load and ran out out power about 90% in.  Usual very short notice from the iPod, even tho' I was present and heard the first beep there was not remotely enough time to unmount and get the iPod to a power source.  Total loss of iPod's knowledge of the data.  But that's not MC's fault.  When I tried to recover the data with MC's rebuild option (forget what its called for MC) it crashed about 1/3 the way through in Media Core.

I was using Playlist sync for this entire load and tho' there were 4800 files and 22 gig of data while I was doing the sync there was no warning of "too much data" from MC9.  When I was recovering from the loss of power I did notice a warning screen on size but (a) It hadn't appeared before (lack of focus?) and (b) the sync continued.  I ran this sync as the only task on the PC so it wasn't me losing the warning screen focus. :)

Also, is there a way to cancel a sync?  Is it hitting the close window button on top corner right of the sync screen, maybe a "Cancel" button on the sync screen would be helpful.

I'm starting this posting with bad news but ending with good:

Peaking at 3000 kbps the sync speed was amazing (particularly considering that I'm using Ethernet to grab the files from my main PC and a PCMCIA card to load it).  

I love the progress screen (tho' hours, minutes and seconds would be nice, I think I've use my mental math allowance for the rest of the year. :) )  

The power of MC9's playlists is just amazing, to handle the power issue above I've split my load into two lists, artist = A-M and N-Z, with a recharge between the two, and MC and my regular (ie non-load) playlists which are based on both of them is just handling it fine of course.  (Present tense as A-M is loading up as we speak.)

This is so cool dude.

-=Tim=-

TimB

« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2002, 03:17:14 am »

Now running N-Z load, first half loaded fine.

On checking the A-M load I notice that most of the files are still going into F19.

-=Tim=-

SteveG

« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2002, 06:18:19 am »

Everyone,

Thanks for the reports from last night.

I have just posted a new Plugin(3.0.25) which includes:

1) Fixed GUI Lock on Format, Delete, and iPod to PC transfers

2) Added Cancel to Synch, Delete and iPod to PC .

3) Synch displays time remaining in Hour:Minute:Sec format.

Kurt,

We will add the Playlist Group check idea into MJ 9. In regards to the Playlist root, this is by design to allow for movement of items via drag and drop in the tree.

Since everything looks pretty good, any promotion of us outside of this forum would be greatly appreciated.  I will not be able to respond to any issues much until Sunday. Have a good Thanksgiving all and thanks for the help.

Steve

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2002, 06:30:42 am »

Since everything looks pretty good, any promotion of us outside of this forum would be greatly appreciated.  I will not be able to respond to any issues much until Sunday. Have a good Thanksgiving all and thanks for the help.

He's on his way home to Philadelphia!  Thanks, Steve, for a job well done.

I'd like to echo Steve's request to help spread the word.  Thanks for what you've done already.

It's hard for us to say much on other forums without people thinking we're greedy capitalist pigs, but when you say something it means a lot.  Anything you can do would be much appreciated.

Jim Hillegass
JRiver

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2002, 07:29:55 am »

Steve/Jim:

(Another one of my verbose posts)

I've one thing to say "WOW!".  What an awesome build this was (haven't even been able to try the one posted today yet).

With that said I'll just post some minor nitpicky things for enhancements/fixes when Steve gets back.  But first, on with the kudos.  

I stessed tested a number of things last night and was NOT able to get MJ to fail w/some minor exceptions.  My MJ Library shows the exact number of songs as my iPod does....that's just so nice and clean  ;D.  OK, now the nit-picking:

1. I saw GUI lock on formatting, it'll be nice to see that fixed.

2. Don't know if you added this in today's build, but for consistency's sake, it would be nice if the Delete dialog had a progress bar as well, rather than just "Deleting Files"

3. I *really* tried to get MJ to crash on sync (transfer all files, 1796 songs) and for the most part I couldn't.  I was able to minimize MJ and do other stuff.  One thing I did notice halfway through sync or so, whereas earlier in the sync  I was able to maximize MJ and get both MJ and the sync dialog, halfway through sync, I could only get the sync dialog--MJ would not display behind it.  When sync finished I could only get MJ back up by right-clicking on the task-bar and selecting Maximize.  So there's something slightly funky.

4. There is a minor bug with syncing files that have foreign characters in them.  I uploaded my entire library, everything worked fine.  The files w/foreign characters where properly renamed w/the "#" sign.  They played fine on iPod.  I then added another Album to my library and did another sync w/Transfer All Files checked.  In theory it should have zoomed through ALL songs but the new album I added.  This didn't happen.  All songs that had foreign characters were re-uploaded like they didn't exist on the iPod.  It didn't cause any problems (meaning I didn't have dupes on my iPod) but it slowed sync down just slightly.  I imagine for people w/lot's of music w/these characters this will be a problem.  Basically what I think is happening is MJ isn't recognizing the song as being on the iPod because the file name is different.  Probably just need to do a comparison w/what the new file name will be once transferred.  Hope this is making sense.

5. Any chance of changing the transfer speed from Kbps to MBs?  It'd save a little real estate and is easier to read.  Minor, but see what others say.

6. The "format for MJ"  Msgbox test is confusing.  It mentions other applications, but it doesn't mention at all that you'll be losing all of your data on the iPod.  Probably want to warn users about that.

7. Repeat, but I'm thowing it in for good measure: the Upload Files progress dialog is different than the sync progress dialog.  I prefer the sync progress dialog, can we make them consistent.  Also, consider getting rid of the updating the status on Queued files.  It seems to slow down the upload.  Suggest refeshing at the end, or at the beginning change all to "uploading", then change to "complete".   When the entire download is finished.

OK, that's it for bugs (pretty brief), now for enhancements still pending   ;D

1. Synch by Artist/Album

2. Pretty icons

3. It was mentioned about doing a check to see if the ipod was formatted for MJ automatically.  Could this be done by simply adding a file to the iPod when formatting that the MJ plugin checks for?  Then, when the iPod is connected and that file is not present, a wizard could be launched prompting the user to format to MJ.  This is what Xplay does.  It doesn't have to be a big file at all, stick it in an MJ folder on the root.  Just a thought.

4. I know this is a biggy, but the UI for interacting w/the iPod is really kind of clunky overall. By that I mean that functions are hidden in right-click menus and not readily evident.  One thing that you might consider is a frame in the bottom of MJ that is displayed when the iPod is selected.  You're already doing it when you display the Upload Files button, what about displaying that whenever the iPod is selected and adding Sync, Format, and "Advanced Tools" there.  Some of the Advanced tools to add would be ones available in Ephpod (probe for lost music, rebuild iPod database, check for dupes etc.)  

5. Another shout out for improved syncing w/respect to tag changes.  This is the functionality where if you edit a song's tags in MJ, and you do a sync, that song should be updated on the iPod.  Right now the only way to do this is to delete the song from the iPod and reupload it.  Sync needs to check for last updated date, if it's newer than the version on the iPod then it should be changed.

OK now for the good news.  I've done a lot of ephod & Xplay recommendations on Apple's Site and ipodlounge.  I've held off for recommending MJ until things are stable:  well, they are stable!!!!  I'll be pushing MJ bigtime!!

Thanks for the awesome work guys.

Adam
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up