Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPOD  (Read 18892 times)

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
  • Yadb (get it?) dabba do.....
Re: IPOD
« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2002, 12:53:17 am »

Steve:

Welcome back. Kurt asked in the 'lounge that someone step up and write a "user guide" for the plugin.  I sorta did that and a little more (included the basics of MC).  Since there are so many new users, thought it'd be helpful.

If you're interested (or anyone else is) here's where it's at:

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~ashawley01/

Oh, and Steve, tell Jim not to sue me or anything, I didn't get permission er nothin' like that. ;)

Adam

Adam,

Thats brilliant!  JRiver should give you a medal rather than sue!  Maybe they could commision you to write an Electronic Manual for MJ8 & MC9?  PDf format would be good.

Thanks

Graham

TimB

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2002, 01:05:44 am »

Adam, great job!!! :) :) :)

One thought, you mention MP3 as a save format for CDs.  I  also use MP3 Normal as my rip format however one cool thing about MJ is its use of lossless formats and iPod's ability to do "safety (or is it safely) convert" to MP3.  This is very cool for those with more sensitive ears.  You might want to mention this as a side note.

Again, just an awesome job.

-=TIm=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
« Reply #102 on: December 06, 2002, 01:13:34 am »

Great user guide Adam. I do have a couple of comments for you though.

First, I think it would be good to mention the Apple updater for the iPod. I could only get my iPod recognised by MC after restoring it using the updater and then formatting using MC.

Second, it would be good to show what happens when you try to synch/upload files when there isn't enough space for them on the iPod.

Finally, I think it would be good to explain why you use the file naming conventions you do when ripping. I started off using [TRACK#] - [TRACK NAME] which gave all sorts of duplicate file warnings when synching/uploading. By changing to [ALBUM] - [TRACK #] - [TRACK NAME] I eliminated these problems. It might also be worthwhile showing the error dialogs that appear when this happens.

Apart from that it's great. It would be interesting to get comments from MC/iPod newbies on it now, after all we are all hardened veterans to the plugin now.

SteveG

« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2002, 06:32:20 am »

Adam,

Holy Cow!!!! I am going away more often. That is incredibly helpful.  When I post the new build tonight I will include start a new thread with that link prominently displayed.  Thanks again.

Steve

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2002, 06:57:48 am »

Welcome back, Steve!  Now GET TO WORK!!!   ;D

Just kidding, dude... good to see you're back in da house, though!
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2002, 07:56:06 am »

Aw shucks guys, thanks for all the kudos, it was nothin'  ::)

Great input from everyone.  I'll capture it and add it.  Possibly throw it into Robohelp so it'll be easier to navigate...but now we're talking fun!

Good points on mp3 format and Safely Convert and all that.  Also good points on the file naming clarifications.

OK, back to work for now....

Thanks again guys!

Adam

Sei

• Recent member
« Reply #106 on: December 06, 2002, 09:36:43 am »

Great job, Ashawly!

I enjoyed reading your guide. It taught me several new things I didn't know. and I followed some suggestions and everything worked fine until I faced Big problem.

After I uninsalled MMJB plugin, from Control Panel- Add or Remove Program, my system doesn't recognize iPod anymore. I cannot find iPod either from Explorere or MC9. I'm lost! What did I wrong?

When I plug in my iPod, I hear the sound but iPod displays "O.K. to disconnect!"

Do I have to start all over again by installing MMJB Install disk? and Install MMJB again? Please help URGENTLY!!! :-[

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
« Reply #107 on: December 06, 2002, 09:39:05 am »

After I uninsalled MMJB plugin, from Control Panel- Add or Remove Program, my system doesn't recognize iPod anymore. I cannot find iPod either from Explorere or MC9. I'm lost! What did I wrong?

When I plug in my iPod, I hear the sound but iPod displays "O.K. to disconnect!"

Do I have to start all over again by installing MMJB Install disk? and Install MMJB again? Please help URGENTLY!!! :-[

The same thing happened to me earlier this week. In the end I just reinstalled MMJB, disabled the autostart and enabled the iPod as a firewire drive to get the iPod support back.

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #108 on: December 06, 2002, 09:43:53 am »

Sei:

Don't sweat, you just need to re-register your iPod as a removable drive.  Here's what to do:

1.  First, reboot.  It's just a good starting point.

2.  Open up the iPod Software Updater.  That's the tool that shipped with your iPod that you use to update or restore it.  Just open it up.  Sure, it'll say that no iPod is connected, that's okay.  The important thing is that this program "polls" your system for an iPod, so that when you plug in, it'll see it, and "catch" it.

3.  Plug in your iPod.  It should behave normally.  If it does, close the software updater, dismount your iPod (via the system tray icon), unplug, and plug back in to make sure that it'll "catch" again.

4.  If it fails any part of step 3, you'll need to put your iPod into "force firewire" mode.  Hold down the Previous and Next buttons on your iPod for about 7 seconds.  The screen will go to the "checkmark" screen, even if you aren't plugged in.  Now, start from step 2 and see what happens.  If it catches properly, close the updater, dismount the iPod, unplug, and reconnect.  It's worked for me in the past.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

Sei

• Recent member
« Reply #109 on: December 06, 2002, 09:52:49 am »

Hi Kurt!

Thanks for help! But,
Where can I find iPod Software Updater? In the install CD bundled with iPod?

Sei

• Recent member
« Reply #110 on: December 06, 2002, 09:57:46 am »

Hi Kurt!

I found in Start-All Programs-IPOD.
Thanks and Sorry!

Finally It is working now. Running Ipod updator restored things! Thank you very much, Kurt! You save me! :D

One minor issue remaining is I cannot see the white IPOD icon in my system tray anymore. I can see 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon, but where is my small white "IPOD" icon?

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #111 on: December 06, 2002, 10:25:04 am »

Hey Sei, that icon is added by the Apple iPod software.  It really doesn't do anything, or I should say it just duplicates what the Safely remove Hardware icon does.  If you really like it, you can get it back by reinstalling the Apple iPod software.  You can get that bit from Apples Site.  Here's a link:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120119

Also, I think I need to add some edits to my help file.  

Kurt: do you know if you first enable firewire disk mode in MMJB and *then* do the uninstall if this problem won't happen?  I hate causing folks problems....or should I just add your comments.

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
« Reply #112 on: December 06, 2002, 10:31:06 am »

Kurt: do you know if you first enable firewire disk mode in MMJB and *then* do the uninstall if this problem won't happen?  I hate causing folks problems....or should I just add your comments.

That's how I had my system set up. On Wednesday I decided that there was no point in having MMJB installed so uninstalled it. All the iPod software went at the same time. After that my iPod wasn't recognised at all by my PC even though I had enabled firewire drive support in MMJB. At the time the only way I could get my iPod recognised was to reinstall MMJB.

I think I'll try your new method to get rid of MMBJ since there is no point in having it installed.

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
  • Yadb (get it?) dabba do.....
« Reply #113 on: December 06, 2002, 10:45:54 am »

Hey Sei, that icon is added by the Apple iPod software.  It really doesn't do anything, or I should say it just duplicates what the Safely remove Hardware icon does.  If you really like it, you can get it back by reinstalling the Apple iPod software.  You can get that bit from Apples Site.  Here's a link:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120119

Also, I think I need to add some edits to my help file.  

Adam,

Hi.  Have I done something wrong?  When i bought my new Ipod 2 weeks ago I did not install ANY of the software that came with it.  I just fired up MC, downloaded the plug in.  Right clicked Format Ipod, and there it was.

I have sucessfully sent music to it many times.  Should I install something else?

Cheers

Graham

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
« Reply #114 on: December 06, 2002, 10:54:41 am »

I have sucessfully sent music to it many times.  Should I install something else?

You don't need to install anything else. After all if it ain't broke don't fix it.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #115 on: December 06, 2002, 11:07:08 am »

As usual, Phil's right Graham.  My CD still hasn't been opened.

I just said that because some people like to have the little iPod icon appear in they systray.  No use for it, just a pretty picture....

Hey Phil: thanks for letting me know that they same happened to you. That's horrid that MMJB causes that to happen.  Guess I need to include Kurt's steps.

Thanks,
Adam

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2002, 11:55:16 am »

Hey Phil: thanks for letting me know that they same happened to you. That's horrid that MMJB causes that to happen.  Guess I need to include Kurt's steps.

Thanks,
Adam

A bit more info. I uninstalled MMJB again then reinstalled the iPod updater. After a reboot my iPod is recognised as a removable drive and by MC. The only thing i have lost is the iPod watcher icon (plus some bloatware of course :D)

SteveG

« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2002, 01:09:31 pm »

I am closing this thread and opening a new one for the new build.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up