INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Directory Rules  (Read 1077 times)

shawnholt

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Directory Rules
« on: December 18, 2003, 02:32:28 pm »

I'm not sure that there is a way to do this in 9, but would really like it in 10.

I have about 5000 songs in the DB.  1000 or so are "singles" rest have several songs per artist.  I have data on my hard drive and Archos Recorder.

I'm looking for a good method to store my songs such that I can use Artists in the directory structure ie. music/Cake/Song EXCEPT for the 1000 or so singles - it makes no sense to have them.

I can isolate the songs with multiple artists using the schema of duplicates, and even tag all my singles or multi-files.  

Ideally I could set up a field that duplicated the artist field only for songs I want in the directory heiarchy and leave the singles in special directory.

can't figure out a clean way to do this MC-9.  any suggestions?

thx! ::)

Marko

Re:Directory Rules
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2003, 03:09:43 pm »

I add all my single tracks to the album "Single Tracks". This way, if you use an artist directory in your structure, this will put the files into ..\Multiple Artists\Single Tracks\

shawnholt

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2003, 04:26:25 pm »

Do you actually change the Artist to "Single"?  How ellse can you accomplish that?

Marko

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2003, 01:38:20 am »

MC will automatically use the "abum artist (auto)" field of (multiple Artists) for albums that have multiple artists. This is a really cool thing that works very well. Keep the artist tags filled in correctly, add them all to the same 'make-believe' album and MC takes care of the rest. As far as MC is concerned, I have an album called "Single Tracks" with over 500 tracks on it!!

The only thing to remember is that when doing your rename from properties, use the [album artist (auto)], not the [artist] field in the naming string. What I do for regular albums, is to use the Artist - Album for my directory name, then track number - name for the file name. For multi artist albums, I add the artist into the filename. If you used this method, you would have a directory called (multiple artists) and inside that would be a directory for each of your multi-artist albums, and inside each of those, you would have the files. Is that what you're after? The rename files from properties string would be...
Directory Naming....
[album artist (auto)]\[album]
File naming....
[track #] - [artist] - [name]

-marko.

nila

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2003, 04:50:30 am »

I do the same sort of thing.

I have all my random songs (singles) in an album called: 'Random Songs' and use this to take my singles out of the main list.

The other option is to put ALL your singles into a playlist then set the View Scheme up to EXCLUDE all files in that playlist.
You could make the playlist a smartlist so it automatically included all files in a specific directory.

Or I have a pane called: 'location' with it's root set to the root of all my music - it then shows the folders under it:

Full Albums
Compilations
Singles
Soundtracks

And I can use that as a filter directly in the panes to chose which files I want to include.

shawnholt

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2003, 09:58:32 am »

These are Great suggestions!  I think the Multiple Artists approach may have a couple of issues - perhaps I'm wrong.

1. I have to "lose" the Album field in all my "singles"
2. For my "real" mixed CDs I will have all of the songs in a single dir called "Multiple Artists".
3. If I have an artist that is both on a multiple artist Album and a regular Album, the artist will get split up - is that right?

What exactly is the logic of the "abum artist (auto)"  field?

At this point i'm knitpicking!  thanks again for you help - this is pretty much what i want.
Pages: [1]   Go Up