INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Analysis AND MP3Gain  (Read 2438 times)

balcy

• Recent member
  • Sometimes, the bear wins...
Audio Analysis AND MP3Gain
« on: December 18, 2003, 02:22:22 pm »

My normal procedure for importing MP3's into MC9 is I first check the tags, then clean the file properties, then rename the files from the file properties (to put the file in my music folder). and then import into the library (updating the library from the tags). Once that is done I use MP3Gain to normalize the files -- either as a track or album depending on the source.

I just discovered Audio Analysis (after using MC for almost a year) and see that it basically can do the same thing in setting the replay gain/volume. Am I wasting my time using MP3Gain? The final destination is a 3G - 40 GB iPod (if that helps).

I am in the process of analyzing the entire library (2800 files) which have already been processed through MP3Gain.

Thanks,
Dave

fex

Re:Audio Analysis AND MP3Gain
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2003, 02:52:40 pm »

... Once that is done I use MP3Gain to normalize the files -- either as a track or album depending on the source...
... Am I wasting my time using MP3Gain? The final destination is a 3G - 40 GB iPod (if that helps).

I did exactly the same. Whitout loosing any thought about it.

Until I got an external HD from a friend with around 130g of music. Now first I'm using MP3Gain, then I will analize all files in MC. I think it will help me to burn my mixed car audio-cd's at an acceptable 'equal' sound level, but it's very (very!) time consuming. Is there a better way (maybe only conerning iPod for balcy)?

Thanks for any suggestion.

zevele10

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2003, 05:13:06 pm »

Why are you using both programs?

fex

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2003, 05:38:47 pm »

Zevele,

How do you burn any data (MP3-)CD with 'equal' volume after just analizing it wihthin MC?

zevele10

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2003, 06:19:27 pm »

It is just that i listen to only full albums.
Therefore i burn only full albums on mp3cd,and do not use/need any DSP effect.

OK ,i get your point. But not 100%.
I used MP3Gain and did some mp3cds.
The sound was 'equal'
So ,i do not see the point to analyse files after in MC.

But ,unlike replay gain.MP3 gain change for ever the song?
What MP3Gain is doing is normalization?

If yes ,i used it long ago and was very sorry when realising that the files changed for ever-i know there is a back up fonction..but...-
And i hard hard time with Metal music to find the perfect setting.

PS: i do not judge ,i just like to understand how and why one do or use it.

balcy

• Recent member
  • Sometimes, the bear wins...
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2003, 06:37:14 pm »

I can see where using MC to analyze music would be beneficial when creating smartlists, etc. I guess my question is this, is there any advantage in using MP3Gain over MC's built-in normalizing?

Does MC modify the mp3 so that other devices know what volume level to use like MP3Gain does? That is the key, since I will be using the iPod for audio playback and not MC...

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2003, 06:53:19 pm »

MP3Gain (latest version) can do both tag based and data modified RG. It will also do Album gain (as opposed to Radio gain) which MC will not (yet... AFAIK).

MP3Gain in the data modify mode is doing normalization...sort of. It may also be dithering or smoothing the values to compensate for round off errors. It may also be changing the scale factor of each frame, which is a lossless mode of achieving RG...without the need for dithering.

I would hope that V10 would phase out it's proprietary RG tagging methods and embrace the standard as implemented by WavGain, MP3Gain (tag based), VorbisGain, etc.

10-27

Correction: WavGain is not tag based...it alters the data and can optionally apply dithering and noise shaping

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2003, 07:13:32 pm »

Got Link?

Here's link if you need it.

MP3 Gain
That's right.
I'm cool.

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2003, 12:20:00 am »

MP3Gain usually changes the MP3 audio data itself to adjust the gain. MC Replay Gain just adds a tag specifying the adjustment. (Newer versions of MP3Gain can do this tag based adjustment as well.)

The iPod reads and understands the MC replay gain tag, no problem. In fact, if you right-click on the iPod in the MC tree, there is an option to adjust volume, by either a % increase or by a given number of dB added to the replay gain. I'm not sure, but I believe there is a similar control when burning audio CDs. If you are burning MP3 CDs, the Replay Gain tag is written as well, so if your player knows what to do with it, it should work.

So there should really be no need to use MP3Gain in addition to MC audio analysis, unless 1) you need album gain or 2) your MP3 player doesn't read the Replay Gain tag.
Pages: [1]   Go Up