INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help. "Read Track Failed" error during ripping  (Read 3510 times)

blafarm

• Junior Woodchuck
Help. "Read Track Failed" error during ripping
« on: October 31, 2003, 05:32:51 pm »

I've got an Adaptec 2906 SCSI adapter in a P3 running XP Home. I have 3-Plextor PX-32TSi drives with the latest drivers. Everytime I try to rip wavs from any of the drives I get the following message:

Read Track Failed. Failed to extract digital audio.

What actually happens is that I hit the "Start" button, the "Status" column reads "Initializing", the front bezel drive lights toggle between "Disc" and "On/Busy" a couple of times (at times they are both lit), then the "Status" column changes to "Copying" and the the error message appears at the exact same moment.

This seems to happen regardless of changes to Options settings, except that ripping works when the copy mode is set to "Analog". Interestingly, when I simply try to play the CD using MC9, I can get the disc to start but the none of the drives will respond to either "Pause" or "Stop".

Funny thing is that Windows Media Player works fine - both playing, pausing, stopping and ripping the disc. Also, EAC has no problem ripping the disc as well. I have done all of these tests with multiple discs so it's not an issue of bad media.

I really want to use MC9 for ripping - can anyone please help me to understand why this is not working.

Thanks so much.

For the record, I have searched the forum for solutions, tested advice given to others and uninstalled all potentially conflicting software and it hasn't had an effect on this problem. This machine has almost nothing else on it besides MC9 and I'm using version: 9.0.180

UPDATE: I just installed 9.1.291 and the error message comes up in around 3 or 4 seconds, as opposed to the 20 seconds it took for 9.0.180.

Media Center 9.1.291 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium III 795 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 94 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0002) , ASPI for Win32         DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0002)

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive K:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive L:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  No burners found.
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Help. "Read Track Failed" error during ripping
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2003, 07:49:08 am »

If you're trying to rip ordinary audio CD's, just put the disk in the drive and hit the rip button.

blafarm

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2003, 12:05:40 pm »

Jim,
Thanks for your reply but I not sure you understood my post. Everything I described happened after I put a disc in the drive, hit the "Rip" button and then hit the "Start" button in the rip dialog screen.

I appreciate any help you may be able to offer because I would like to make MC9 my one and only audio application and being able to rip with it is essential.

modelmaker

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2003, 09:47:39 pm »

I've been getting the same error message  today while ripping several CDs. I had a bad track on one CD. The ripper gave the choice to skip the track, which I did. However upon insterting the next CD, I got the "Read Track Failed..." I tried several CDs with the same result. I then shut MC(9.1.180) down and restarted and the problem was gone.

I have seen MC go into one of these "operational loops" from time to time on my Win2k system, a restart has always cleared the situation for me so far.

This probably won't help solving your problem, but MC does have some quirks that crop up from time to time and I thought I'd share.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

blafarm

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2003, 10:01:17 pm »

modelmaker,
Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, I've restarted my system 20 or 30 times with no improvement. I've also swapped CDs many times and all of them are in pristine condition and rip-able by any other application.

I don't know if MC9 is having an issue with my Adaptec SCSI controller - or my Plextor CD drives but this problem is the only hurdle preventing me from being a registered and loyal owner.

I've seen the great tech support provided to users on this site and I hope that the fine folks at JRiver can help me to solve this problem.

modelmaker

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2003, 12:26:33 am »

I'm sure JimH or someone else at JRiver will be back with you later today(they're not usually around when us vampires are out!).

There's so much going on in MC, I am often amazed it works at all. I am now closing in on 13k files and every day I'm enjouing my old music collection more and more all over again thanks to MC.

Listening to: 'Golden Slumbers' from 'Abbey Road  '69' by 'Beatles' on Media Center 9.0
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

blafarm

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2003, 12:37:42 am »

Update: I've spent the past couple of days swapping PCI slots, updating drivers, checking IRQs, adding and removing drives, adding and removing termination and everything else I could think of.

As before, MC recognizes the drive and retrieves the tags, but it still can't rip the CD (same error message as above) and it now cannot play the CD either: when I attempt to play the CD, MC scrolls through all the song titles very quickly and indicates that it is "Buffering" but there is no activity on the drive.

In my quest to solve this problem by myself, I may have caused this latest "Buffering" phenomenon - but ripping is still impossible and, interestingly, playing and ripping with Windows Media Player and EAC are still no problem at all. I must admit that I am stumped.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

JohnT

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2003, 07:50:22 am »

Sorry about the problems you're experiencing, I'm sure we can get them worked out. Please send me a log file of a ripping attempt. Here are the instructions for enabling logging:

Turn on MC's logging for CD ripping by changing the value of this registry key from zero (0) to one (1):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JRiver\Media Jukebox\CD Reader\Logger

Then just start up Media Center and try to rip a CD. Then exit MC and find a file in the MC program directory called "cdripper.log" and email that to me. Remember that the log file is overwritten each time you start up MC, so you must send the file before restarting MC.

Thanks!
John T.
JRiver, Inc.
johnt @ jriver.com
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

blafarm

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2003, 11:06:32 am »

Hi JohnT,

Thanks so much for your post.
I've removed as many hardware variables as possible by leaving only one SCSI CDROM attached to my Adaptec 2906 PCI-based adapter - and removing all non-essential PCI cards and drives from both the IDE and SCSI chains. Also, following advice in other posts on the subject, I have removed as many potentially conflicting software applications as I could find; such as Roxio, Winamp and MusicMatch.

[... JohnT: log file contents edited for brevity ...]

Mikey

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2003, 12:10:22 pm »

the Plextor 40max drives are not MMC compliant.  Hence they will not work under XP for DAE (Digital Audio Extraction).  See the plextor web site for more info on this.  It most likely under media player because you were playing back the analog audio and not digitail.  I hope this helps.

Mike

blafarm

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2003, 02:10:25 pm »

Mikey

Thanks, I gave up on them a couple of weeks ago and switched to IDE.
Pages: [1]   Go Up