INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alert/Error messages when using PDA/browser for remote control  (Read 673 times)

Beeb04

• I'm a llama!
Alert/Error messages when using PDA/browser for remote control
« on: December 26, 2003, 11:18:39 pm »

SITUATION
=======
My typical use of Media Center is...

. I listen to the BBC audio streams (Real Audio format)

BBC Radio 4: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/realplayer/media/fmv5.ram
BBC WorldService:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/ram/live_infent.ram
BBC Newshour: http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/ram/newshour.ram

. The above URLs have been loaded into separate playlists in Media Center.
. They are activated from a wireless PDA, using the 'remote server' interface that media center provides.
. Under normal circumstances, this works fine. It gives me great control

COMPLICATON
=========
Keeping a live streaming link open for hours can be difficult. For example:
. After 6-8 hours of streaming, in about 50% of cases, BBC Radio4, or the BBC WorldService packets will stop flowing. (Possibly, the BBC might timeout a connection, more likely there could be congestion, what have you)
. From experience, I know that a _standalone_ RealOne Player will normaly show a 'Communications Error' under these circumstances.
. A _standalone_ RealOne Player can easily be reset, by hitting 'Stop' and then 'Play'.

The crux of my problem...
----------------------------
. When using MediaCenter as an overlay over RealPlayer, MediaCenter registers there is a problem, but requires user intervention from the CONSOLE to address the issue:

. MediaCenter seems to receive some sort of error message from RealPlayer, but places an alert window on the CONSOLE, that requires hitting OK, before a new stream can launch.
. This is very annoying, if one tries to control MediaCenter purely from a remote browser.

The messages appearing on the Console are:

Error
Real Player: General error. An error occurred.
[OK]

Error
Real Player: Connection to server could not be established. You may be experiencing network problems.
[OK]

Warning
Media Center encountered errors while trying to play the last several files.

Please make sure that the path in your media library points to the right location
[OK]

[OK]

Note:
1) These are all MediaCenter generated messages. (They are all in the mediacenter skin style).
2) The last message is probably the result of trying to restart the stream remotely, whilst the original Error window was still showing on the console.

RESOLUTON
========
- It would be very helpful if...
. Console error messages, would be forwarded to RemoteServer so a WebBrowser may acknowledge them, or...
. The CONSOLE could operate in a 'silent' mode, such that error messages and warnings are written to a log, but don't require, 'OK' to proceed, or automatically disappear after a certain time (e.g. 30s).

Question
=====
- Anybody with similar problems with real player and/or the remote server requiring intervention on the console?
- Anybody any suggestions?
- Developers, any chance of providing a fix?

Environment:
========
(C) 2003, JRiver Inc
Remote Server v1.14, JRiver, Daniel Ellison, and Benjamin Sweet

RealOne Player
Version 2.0
Build 6.0.11.868

Media Center 9.1.316 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Unknown 276 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 618 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1276 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  No burners found.
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Pages: [1]   Go Up