INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: System Freezing When Ripping...  (Read 2810 times)

edge2004

• I'm a llama!
System Freezing When Ripping...
« on: January 04, 2004, 12:54:24 am »

Hi everyone,

I have been a loyal and registered user of Media Jukebox 8.1 for a very long time and have recently upgraded (not registered yet) to MC 9.1 ---

The program appears to run great except for one MAJOR problem...

When ripping/encoding CD the system freezes...  8.1 did not have this problem and i cannot figure out why it's now doing it... I have performed a CLEAN install of WIn XP Pro (with SP1, all Microsoft updates, etc)  and the problem is still there.

I'm trying to RIP/Encode to MP3 320Kbs / Normal quality (Have also tried HIGH, and HIGH SPEED)...

I have also tried various Audio CD's thinking it could have been a problem with a disc iteself but the problem occurs no matter what disc i'm trying to rip.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

-Edge

My system info:

MSI K6 Delta Mainboard
Athlon XP 2100+ processor, 1 GIG PC 2100 DDR, ATI 9000 PRo All In wonder
1 maxtor 40 gig HDD, 1 Maxtor 120 Gig HDD... Windows XP pro, DirectX 9 etc.
1 Lite-On DVD-ROM , 1 NEC MD-1000A DVD+RW

LisaRCT

Re:System Freezing When Ripping...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2004, 02:00:10 pm »

Try ripping a disc without encoding . . . leave it as a WAV file (you can always convert later).
This will isolate the two functions allowing determination as to which part of the prosess is the culprit.
IF it rips OK to wave, there is an encoder issue.

ALso, use the 'System Info' in MC's Help menu to report your Sys Info . . . it is better suited.

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
  • Keep on doing mambo ...
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2004, 03:39:24 am »

I reported this problem a few times. Don't know what it is but something in MC causes freezes. Up to the latest version the problem is still there. It mainly happens when MC searches the YADB database. Freezing is less when the actual ripping is done.

I think the problem is independent of the encoding. I use ape and it also happens. When you find a solution let me know!

MarSies .....

LisaRCT

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2004, 07:30:14 am »

Well being a fresh week and the holidays being over I am sure the folk's at JRiver will be raring to go and cure all the ills of the (Media Center) world.   :)

Have you reported this on the Bug thread for the new builds?

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2004, 07:52:24 am »

That would be a good thing. Yes I reported this a few times.

A few days ago I reported to have a disk problem. Turns out that my harddisk fails and prevents my system from starting up. This disk was part of a RAID0 set. That means that I lost 210GB of ape music. I already started to re-rip.  :(

Next time I will make a backup on DVD of the CD's that I ripped but I don't own. I'm glad that I own at least  95% of  my music so the loss is minimal.

But I still have to re-rip my music and face the freezing problem again. And I wasn't finished ripping all my CD's. This makes me cry !!!  :'(  :'(  :'(

MarSies .....

LisaRCT

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2004, 09:25:34 am »

That stinks!   :(

I was using a raid array (striped) but changed my setup as I was afraid of that happening . . . .  2 hard drives, plus RAID controller PLUS software raises the odds against you too much, sounds like a recipy for disaster to me.

Anyway, I went to doing a full backup onto another hard drive.  Luckily the cost of drives has dropped tremendously so the redundancy is not overly cost-prohibitive.  But, then again I do value my music collection enough that it is worth it.  Besides, think about the lost time & aggravation . . . .  the $100.oo I paid for my second 200GB drive was well worth it!

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2004, 09:47:33 am »

It probably is a bad configuration. On the other hand, how often do these things happen.  ?

I use SATA drives and can't imagine getting a 200GB drive for 100 bucks, not in Holland. I also thought about using XP for a volume set. Then I can always increase disk capacity. I think I wil need at least 300GB to store my music. But this will grow over 400 GB within 15 months.

LisaRCT, what should I do.  :-\ There are many configurations possible. But if I choose the wrong one I will have problems to add capacity.

How can JRiver let me face all the existing rip problems in the beginning of 2004 ?

MarSies .....

zevele10

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2004, 10:07:25 am »

you are right , back-up is a problem.

I'am riping my collection right now- must be close to 2000 cds.
And ,I have many friends with more than 1000 cds.

Si ,i feel short with my 750 giga.........

I will go the DVD records way to make back up.
I do not use APE cause i would need to much room.

Found a good compromise with MPC Braindead

LisaRCT

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2004, 10:14:04 am »

There have been threads posted in the past regarding mass storage strategies, and opinions vary as to what is most advantageous.

I only use ATA133 drives so they can be had anywhere from $.5o per GB to $1.oo a GB depending on sales and rebates.  

Another nice option is a USB2.o Portable drive.  They have the advantage of making your music collection portable as well since you can simply plug into any PC's usb port.  You also gain the safety of being able to put the portable drive (backup) safely away somewhere.  I believe this would cost somewhere between the SATA and the ATA options.

SATA are definately more expensive, perhaps if your system can use ATA you may consider this or USB2.o only for your backup drive to save money??  Although to stay with the most usable format (in your case SATA) is probably wiser even though initially more costly.  

See what you can read about for options and decide which best fits your needs . . . both short-term AND long-term.

zevele10

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2004, 10:27:22 am »

There is something that you and all others in US do not understand:

HARD DRIVE ARE NOT CHEAP OUT OF USA.
For the price of my last Western digital 250 giga , i can have the last Plextor DVD-W drive and a full car of blank DVD cds.
Hard drives are not cheap here , in UK , in France ,Germany ect ect.

Beside it ,with 6 hard disck , i do not have room  for more.

TimB

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2004, 10:32:04 am »

I kept my old computer, bought it a new drive and use Karen Kenworthy's PT Replicator (which I learned about here) to backup across the network every night in the early, early am.

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2004, 04:52:07 pm »

I have 6 drives of 120GB a piece and there's physically no more room. I insist on using ape because it's also a sort of backup for my CD's. A while ago my CD-case from my carstereo was stolen. I could cry losing 9 of my CD's. If that happens again I would still have the music on my PC. I also burn a lot of CD's for teaching. I teach salsa and want to be able to make specific CD's. That's why I also have loads of salsa music which, unfortunately, is not in the YADB database. The more common CD's or mostly in the YADB. Then the freezing is minimal. When the CD's are not there, BEWARE!!

The cheapest internet store where you can buy a 120GB SATA Maxtor drive is about 110 euro. I heard that Maxtor is gonna ship drives of 300 and 350GB. That would be a solution if my bankaccount was huge, unfortunately it's not.
Maybe it's a good idea to implement a backup strategy/option in MC10  :o Using RAID5 is probably the best way. But who can afford it, not me!
Personally I don't see the reason of using a mobile harddisk. I have a 20GB disk but I will use that only for backup purposes.

The only thing is that the subject of the thread has changed to backup strategies instead of the freezing problem. Besides the freezing problem there are a few other rip problems. I have reported these a few times but I don't seem to get any response. I'm not gonna bring up anymore threads regarding this. I will only respond when I see others mentioning the same problems.

MarSies

zevele10

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2004, 05:31:07 pm »

The fact to rip to APE has nothing to do with the fact to check if rip only works.
APE is not rip ,it is convert.

Try to rip only==to wav

I cannot help much ,because here MC is riping 12 hours a day since 2 weeks and everything is ok.

But ,i do not use YADB.
Or i got cd infos for a load of cds from feedb and set MC to automatic rip after that.

Or i set MC to do nothing with the cd , get cd infos from freedb and rip with MC.

RealOne is open as well .
If the cd not in freedb ,i use RealOne.
Got 98%+ of the results [from freedb.
If not in Freedb , RealOne and MusicMatch , i try YADB.

If no cd infos from all ,i just do not rip it.
I HATE to have to type  

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2004, 05:50:27 pm »

Please report your system info by copying it from MC Help and pasting here.

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2004, 05:50:42 pm »

Just wanted to go to bed and I saw your response.  ;)

How do you use freedb for you CD info? Do you copy and paste? The problems I have with ripping itself are minimal. Yes it works, but in combination with YADB it is a disaster.

I have OpenMG for my minidisk and used the CD info from that program. But it is still a lot of trouble getting the info in MC. Now I am glad that I updated YADB with CD info. It works a lot better now, reripping the CD's that are actually now in the database.

What is the use of ripping first and then encoding. Does that save you a lot of time while ripping?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2004, 05:54:02 pm »

Yes it works, but in combination with YADB it is a disaster.

If you would provide some detail, we might be able to help on the problem you have.  A new thread would be best.  Please report the version you are using.

zevele10

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2004, 06:45:57 pm »

I'am sure that your problem is YADB related , not rip related.
But it is quite weird. You may have a problem with your firewall , or port 80.

Because YADB is working , ok it is slow when cd  not in the data. But it is working.

I do not use YADB because of MC beheaviur.
If the cd not in the data , you cannot update infos.
You have to delete the Unknow Unknow album from cd/dvd in the Media part of the tree.
Beside it there is a bug whith last track ,and it happens  very often.

To be fair , i have to say that i use 9.0
So maybe things different with 9.1 or 10.

To get infos from freedb , i open another program using Freedb.
MC is open as well , but set to 'Do nothing' when a cd put in the drive ,and to 'do not get infos from YADB'.

When i get infos ,i click on CD/DVD in MC and it updates.

Most of the programs put collected cd infos in a folder 'cdplayer.ini'.
If your program does it , MC will use it if set as i say.

Try to get infos from OpenMG, Mc does not need to be open.
Make a seach for the folder 'cdplayer.ini'
Open it and look if the cds from OpenMG.
If yes , open MC ,set as i said and see what happens.
You have to get the 'Gathering info...' pp up and ,after the cd infos that MC takes from cdplayer.ini
This process is very fast, few seconds
After that ,lauch the rip and see if it works.

Rip is rock solid, i'am ripping right now what must be my 70th cd in a row without any problem.

===What is the use of ripping first and then encoding. Does that save you a lot of time while ripping? ====

If you use SecureRip and do APE , you  will not save time riping to wav first. Cause SecureRip is slower than converting to APE

Pages: [1]   Go Up