INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Last Plea for MC 9.1 Stability  (Read 1075 times)

Dubster

• Recent member
  • Computer Software Designer
Last Plea for MC 9.1 Stability
« on: December 31, 2003, 04:27:05 pm »

I (and others as I've learned) still have "show stopper" issues with MC 9.1.  My primary issue is that it crashes within seconds of starting visualizations.  In the past, people tried to tell me that it's because I'm "still" using WinMe or that there are "issues" with my grahics subsystem.  It's been recommended that I do a clean install of Windows and find all of the latest drivers in the process.

Well, I've done that  (and quite a pain it was too) and there's no change, but I may have an insight for anyone still interested in a stable 9.1.

I have MC installed on four machines:

1) Shuttle nForce2 MB w/integrated w/GeForce4 graphics, 512 MB PC2100, AMD XP1700, straight clock.  This is my main system and it crashes on visualizations all the time.

2) PC Chips Via MB w/integrated S3 graphics, 128 MB PC100, Via C3 700 Mhz (Ezra), overclocked to 840 Mhz.  Stable with visualizations (but crashes for other reasons).

3) AOpen MB (Intel 815 chipset) w/AGP ATI Rage Pro Fury (32MB) graphics, 256 MB PC133, Via C3 1000 Mhz (Nehemiah), straight clock.  This system crashes just like the first one.

4) Asus MB w/AGP Nvidia TNT2 (32 MB) graphics, 512 MB PC2700, Intel P4 2.8 Ghz, straight clock.  This is a test system and the only one running WinXP.  It is stable but not used that much so it's hard to say for sure.  One thing that is sure is that this is the only system on which I can adjust the fonts used in Damaged Layers III because on all of the WinMe ones the Visualization Studio is non-functional.

I find the most interesting difference is not WinXP but between the two Via C3 processors.  The one with the more advanced graphics instruction set (Nehemiah) has that same issues as the AMD one.

Finally, I did not have these issues (others, yes) with MC 8.

Happy New Year!

Tom

pat1066

• World Citizen
Re:Last Plea for MC 9.1 Stability
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2003, 04:51:41 pm »

Looks like lots of different problems. I have had S3 problems, and have seen lots of VIA problems claimed, in the past. I think that you should be using RealPlayer8 and that you should install MC after installing WMP9. Reinstalling is tiresome isn't it!
Pat.

LisaRCT

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2003, 05:02:24 pm »

Hi Tom,  

I had VIA problems in the past also, fortunately no ATi issues.

Sorry to hear you went through all that work and time with the issues unresolved.  
Unfortunately sometimes process-of-elimination is the only way to work them out.

I am sure it can be resolved, but I wish you an easy time of it from here on out.   ;)

Happy New Year!

sraymond

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2003, 06:09:51 pm »

Tom,

I ended up getting rid of my Athlon motherboard with a VIA chipset because the visualizations caused problems with my ATI video card.  First I thought it was the video card (Radeon 7000), but when it did it with the AIW 8500 DV, I gave up.

I replaced with a Celeron motherboard with an Intel chipset and the problems disappeared.  To be fair, I don't think it was MC's exclusive fault, because I would get occasional BSODs when processing digital video, etc.

I tried all the numerous suggestions I could google upon.  Nothing worked.  The only thing that I remember doing though was the Via 4-in-1 driver updates and some BIOS changes.

Good luck...  

Scott-

Dubster

• Recent member
  • Computer Software Designer
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2004, 03:21:18 am »

I had VIA problems in the past also, fortunately no ATi issues.

Certainly, I'm no fan of Via due to the way they have handled problems with their products in the past.  However, it's notable that the Via chipset in this lineup is one of the most stable ones, and further that my roundup of chipset/CPU combos shows nearly identical issues in hardware as diverse as the nForce2/AMD and the Intel 815/C3(Nehemiah).  Also, I have one (fairly) stable WinMe setup. one (maybe) stable WinXP one, and two unstable WinMe ones.

The problem isn't hardware, clearly, nor just WinMe (a possible co-problem though) and since I didn't have these issues with MC 8 (same hardware and OS) the only conclusion is that the problem is MC 9.1.

Tom

LisaRCT

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2004, 11:10:49 am »

Well I'd have to say that your conclusion appears logical since you state that you had no issues with MJ8 on the same hardware.
Hopefully once we get through the holiday you will see some response from the JRiver folks on this matter.  I am very curious as to the cause(s).
Pages: [1]   Go Up