INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to export Statistics to Excel?  (Read 4276 times)

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
How to export Statistics to Excel?
« on: December 29, 2003, 04:49:33 pm »

Is there a way to export what the Statistics Menu displays in Media Center to an excel worksheet or notepad text?

jleerigby

Re:How to export Statistics to Excel?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2003, 09:52:44 am »

If you are wanting to export a list of tracks / albums etc to Excel just display the relevant smartlist or view scheme, highlight all tracks and then Edit> Copy in Media Centre.  Now you can simply paste the details into Excel.

sraymond

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2003, 11:45:50 am »

Is there a way to export what the Statistics Menu displays in Media Center to an excel worksheet or notepad text?

If you have an example of what the presentation should look like, I willl write you an XSLT that works with Scott_r.'s great MC XML Export plugin.  His final release (due out soon) will give let you unzip a configuration file I give you and then you're good to go with two-click use.  See the thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=16966 for some information on MCXMLExport.  See the thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=16293 for an example of what "presentation" is.

Scott-

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2003, 05:00:16 pm »

I just want to get a list of the albums I have in this format 'artist - album.' I tried to use that XML plugin but I couldn't get it to show each album once because it would take each of my mp3's tag and record it's album title.

scott_r

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2003, 05:11:59 pm »

I wonder if Scott would be able to make an XSLT that just extracts the list of albums? I'm sure it would be possible.

sraymond

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2003, 06:01:57 pm »

I just want to get a list of the albums I have in this format 'artist - album.' I tried to use that XML plugin but I couldn't get it to show each album once because it would take each of my mp3's tag and record it's album title.

That's it?  Just a simple text list?  Like:
Code: [Select]
Andrea Bocelli - romanza
James - Laid
Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes

If so, it would take about five minutes to write an XSLT that works with Scott_r.'s "MC XML Export" plugin.  Let me know...

Scott-

sraymond

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2003, 06:04:59 pm »

I wonder if Scott would be able to make an XSLT that just extracts the list of albums? I'm sure it would be possible.

I certainly would...  it's just that I hate having to decide on the presentation.  I guess I'm too much the Alpha Male Perfectionist.  XAlbum took me longer than I wanted to decide on the HTML presentation - and in the end I wasn't perfectly happy with the results.

For now (until demand outgrows my free time), I make the following open offer to anyone:  Show me an HTML of the presentation (or a simple text file if that's all you want) and I will write the XSLT to generate it with "MC XML Export".

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2003, 07:08:12 pm »

That's it?  Just a simple text list?  Like:
Code: [Select]
Andrea Bocelli - romanza
James - Laid
Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes

If so, it would take about five minutes to write an XSLT that works with Scott_r.'s "MC XML Export" plugin.  Let me know...

Scott-

Yep that's exactly how I want.  I don't care how it's presented just that it shows "Artist - Album" once. Not twenty times for each album.  

sraymond

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2003, 07:26:12 pm »

Yep that's exactly how I want.  I don't care how it's presented just that it shows "Artist - Album" once. Not twenty times for each album.

Consider it done...  I'll do it tonight before the New Years Eve party.  Have you installed Scott_r.'s "MC XML Plugin"?

Scott-

sraymond

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2003, 08:37:25 pm »

This post has been overcome by events

Here you go:  http://pages.sbcglobal.net/scottraymond/ArtistAlbumListing.zip

The "MC XML Export" configuration preset probably won't work (for the time being), but it will give you an idea of the settings to use.  I've also noticed that the XSL transformation takes longer than I'd expect - I'm curious to know how long it takes with your library.

Any questions, let me know.

Scott-

nila

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2003, 10:25:42 pm »

I really think it'd be GREAT if we had all these XSLT's available somewhere for easy loading into the plugin.

It'd make it 100 times more powerful. RIght now they are lying hidden around various threads.

sraymond

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2004, 12:08:44 am »

I really think it'd be GREAT if we had all these XSLT's available somewhere for easy loading into the plugin.

It'd make it 100 times more powerful. RIght now they are lying hidden around various threads.

Agreed.

When Scott_r. releases the plugin (it will have some changes from the beta 4) it will be more conducive to distributing the XSLTs complete with a preset configuration file.  I'll then put out a list of presets, complete with download URL.  From there, you'll just need to unzip the download to the "MC XML Export" directory and everything will be ready to go from a preset.

Eventually I'll focus on helping people learn how to fish instead of feeding them.

Scott-

scott_r

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2004, 12:48:10 am »

Yeah I'm just about finished tweaking MC XML Export 1.0 for realease. There's also a website and "beginner's guide" that goes with it, so I could host a list of XSLT there as well. Although I'm very limited on webspace.

Anyway, back to work,

Scott.

sraymond

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2004, 03:07:55 am »

Man, Scott_r. sure is fast!

If you have his MCXMLExport plugin v1.0.1 installed (see thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=18079), you can download the following:  http://pages.sbcglobal.net/scottraymond/ArtistAlbumListing.zip

Just unzip it to the directory where you installed MCXMLExport and you will see a preset configuration in the plugin called "ArtistAlbumListing" (you need to restart MC or the plugin to refresh the list of presets if you unzip while the plugin is running).  "Export" it, and you should find the desired result (ArtistAlbumListing.txt) in a directory called ArtistAlbumListing (off of where you installed MCXMLExport).

If you have a blank [Artist] or [Album] in your exported items, there is no checking in the XSLT to put something like "[Artist Unknown]" in the output.  It would be easy to add it, but I figured if you're doing this, you probably have everything fully tagged.

Look at the ArtistAlbumListing.xsl document (you can open it in notepad) and it should be fairly obvious where to change the delimiter or make other changes the output.

Does this do what you need?

Scott-

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2004, 03:36:04 am »

YES!!! This is perfectly what I was looking for.  I appreciate this very much.  However, if it is not too much trouble, I have some mp3's that are unassigned to albums and some that have multiple artists (i.e. Soundtracks - so the album shows up twice but with different artists). If there was way to have this recognized into the plugin, it would be magnificent. With that though, it's absolutely great as it is, thank you very much!!!  ;D ;D

sraymond

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2004, 11:41:28 am »

YES!!! This is perfectly what I was looking for.  I appreciate this very much.  However, if it is not too much trouble, I have some mp3's that are unassigned to albums and some that have multiple artists (i.e. Soundtracks - so the album shows up twice but with different artists). If there was way to have this recognized into the plugin, it would be magnificent. With that though, it's absolutely great as it is, thank you very much!!!  ;D ;D

Sure...  just tell me this:  if there's a multiple artist album, how do you think the grouping should be done?  MIght I just replace [Artist] with [Album Artist (auto)]?  In my library, these two fields are always the same.  How about yours?  Catching the "No Album Information" is easy.

Scott-

sraymond

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2004, 12:40:30 pm »

OK...  redownload and see if you like it any better:  http://pages.sbcglobal.net/scottraymond/ArtistAlbumListing.zip.  Note than you can make some easy customizations at the top of the XSL by just changing the content of the variables.

I wish I could use more variables (i.e. for what to group on), but the current version of XSLT goes to great length to prevent circular logic and so doesn't allow variables in a lot of places.

Scott-

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2004, 02:28:32 pm »

Ya this is much better, it solves the soundtrack albums from repeatedly showing up.  I played around with the customization of the XSL, but I couldn't figure out how to remove the artists from the list that don't have any album information in their tags.

sraymond

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2004, 05:32:53 pm »

Ya this is much better, it solves the soundtrack albums from repeatedly showing up.  I played around with the customization of the XSL, but I couldn't figure out how to remove the artists from the list that don't have any album information in their tags.

I don't follow...  are you saying that if an Artist has no tracks with an [Album] tag, you don't want to see an entry like "Artist - [No Album Information]" at all?

If so, that's easy enough to do...  let me know.

Scott-

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2004, 05:40:06 pm »

Yep exactly as you said, I don't want to see the Artist if it doesn't have an album assigned to his/her tracks.

sraymond

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2004, 05:50:51 pm »

Yep exactly as you said, I don't want to see the Artist if it doesn't have an album assigned to his/her tracks.

Give me five minutes...

Scott-

sraymond

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2004, 06:01:29 pm »

Use this new ArtistAlbumListing:  http://pages.sbcglobal.net/scottraymond/ArtistAlbumListing.xsl

Scott-

Afrosheen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2004, 06:21:19 pm »

Thank You very much, this is terrific, just what I was looking for.
Pages: [1]   Go Up