INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: One Song - Multiple Albums  (Read 2352 times)

paulvanderzee

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
One Song - Multiple Albums
« on: December 30, 2003, 09:21:31 am »

Hi,
I would like to know how people organize albums when one song is on 2 or more albums.
Of course, I can copy the file, but that is not a very nice solution.

I want to see the list of albums in my artist/album tree view and the album must show all songs that are on it.

NoCodeUK

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:One Song - Multiple Albums
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2003, 09:42:35 am »

This is a request on the version 10 list...the concept of "virtual albums".  Currently I have a number of duplicates where a song is on a compilation and also I have the album...At the moment I am simply keeping the copies for consistency but hope that eventually I won't need to ;D

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

samarah88

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Go Bucks!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2003, 09:54:50 am »

I would also like to see this option.

I am keeping multiple copies of the same song to keep each album complete. Disk space is currently not an issue but at some point it may become one.

LonWar

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2003, 10:24:06 am »

For the most part, (with me at least) I like to keep multiple copies as there are usually some differences in the song...

Ie, I have the Rolling Stones song "Time is on my side" multiple times but, Some are live, some are different lengths and some are recorded in different dates, So the song sound changes as the band gets older....
-

fex

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2003, 11:40:23 am »

... Disk space is currently not an issue but at some point it may become one.

My smartlist 'possible duplicates' shows me current '6035 files - 28.5 GB',  so indeed...

Listening to: 'Doubled Up' from 'Wonderlust Live' by 'Heather Nova' on Media Center 10

sraymond

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2003, 11:54:43 am »

This is quite simple with a normalized relational database...  isn't that what's underneath MC?

My guess is JRiver wants to keep the "database" complications away from the user and so they've made some compromises.  There is a one-to-one relation between tracks and albums when there logically should be a one-to-many.

I, too, would like an either/or choice to put a track in two albums or keep two physical copies of the track.

Scott-

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2003, 01:49:08 pm »

I, too, would like an either/or choice to put a track in two albums or keep two physical copies of the track.

Also, to be able to assign more than one artist or genre to a track in the database (e.g., have the album People Time show up either under Stan Getz or Kenny Barron)

sraymond

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2003, 02:20:45 pm »

Also, to be able to assign more than one artist or genre to a track in the database (e.g., have the album People Time show up either under Stan Getz or Kenny Barron)

That's seems easy...  JRiver would just have to change the data type from String to List.  You can do this yourself for custom-created fields, but unfortunately, we can't edit this for built-in fields.  I wonder what the down-side to a List data type.

Or, if you were particularly masochistic, you could create a custom "ArtistMulti" field and fill initially with the "Artist" and go from there.

Scott-

fex

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2003, 02:33:42 pm »

... Or, if you were particularly masochistic, you could create a custom "ArtistMulti" field and fill initially with the "Artist" and go from there. Scott-

Better not...

511PF

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2003, 05:47:02 pm »

Just out of curiousity, does the one tag-one file rule apply to images as well?  Can I assign more than one 'Person' tag to an image?  I don't have a copy of MC available right now, so I thought I'd ask while I was thinking about it.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2003, 06:02:37 pm »

I don't care what album it comes from (the Album field could be blank for all i care)

what i do care about is if i like the music

the only thing stoping me from keeping the Album field blank is My Mental problem that can't stand to see any field blank.

It is just gut wrenching to see some users Media server library with blank fields.

It just makes me sick

Ok i'm done
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

sraymond

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2003, 06:04:56 pm »

Just out of curiousity, does the one tag-one file rule apply to images as well?  Can I assign more than one 'Person' tag to an image?  I don't have a copy of MC available right now, so I thought I'd ask while I was thinking about it.

[Person] is a "List" data type, so the answer is YES..  Strange, though, that I've noticed it is user editable in my library.  I'd though JRiver made this a system field once upon a time.

Scott-

fex

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2003, 06:15:51 pm »

...It is just gut wrenching to see some users Media server library with blank fields.
It just makes me sick
Ok i'm done

Listening to: 'Sick' from 'Boss Hog' by 'Boss Hog' on Media Center 10

Shady Bimmer

• World Citizen
  • (too busy listening)
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2003, 08:46:45 pm »

This one's come up a few times here.  The problem is that if JRiver did this these "standard" tags would no longer be, and these fields would likely not be useable at all.

It is simple enough to do as has been suggested - IE: for a "Multiple Genre" list-style database field just create one - say "SubGenre" or something similar.

Create a "CollabArtist" as another list-type field.
Pages: [1]   Go Up