INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless Hub w/ MC 10  (Read 1153 times)

samarah88

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Go Bucks!
Wireless Hub w/ MC 10
« on: January 01, 2004, 08:15:46 am »

Is anybody using a wireless hub with Media Server. I have my database on the computer I use everyday and another hooked to my stereo system via USB. I already have the wired equipment (100 Mbit) but running the ethernet cable from one location to another would be a real pain. I am considering wireless, but I am unsure of the performance with Media Center.

Also, I am hooked into the Web via a DSL connection. Can I expect the same response using streaming audio that I currectly receive with the direct connection.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
Re:Wireless Hub w/ MC 10
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2004, 10:08:46 am »

A few months ago I heavily used MC9 to serve 320kbps mp3 tracks via 802.11b to a 500MHz laptop to then record the tracks to cassette.  It worked great, never had a single stutter, pause or anything wrong.

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2004, 11:30:55 am »

Hi samarah88,

I have 802.11b and the performance is not great. I am unable to stream APE files, but mp3's should be ok. My setup is a little bizarre though. Media Server reads the files via wireless from a linux file server, then streams them via wireless to the client. So each byte actually goes on the air three times.

I also have DSL, and have streamed APE files through it, though I shouldn't be able to. Check your modem stats, see what upstream speed you have, and just use a lower bit rate.

If you are talking about downstream instead of upstream, it works fine.

j

samarah88

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Go Bucks!
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2004, 11:37:18 am »

Thanks for the responses.

I think I'll take the extra time to run an ethernet cable and use my existing hub.

Zarius

• World Citizen
  • Addicted to smilies.
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2004, 05:29:09 pm »

You may want to consider the fact that 802.11g is generally twice as fast as 802.11b... a theoretical max speed of 54Mbs compared to b's 11 (though with both you should probably half this for the working speed... note, I haven't used wireless myself you though... just quoting what I've read).  So I imagine there shouldn't be many problems with it... of course it still depends on what bitrate your files are (APE'll generally chew up a lot more bandwidth than MP3's).
[size=-2]Looking forward to 802.11n :) (coming out over the next year or so)  
Still in the project authorization phase, 802.11n is designed to increase WLAN speeds to at least 100M bps for data and actual throughput rates.
Unlike current ratified Wi-Fi standards—802.11a, 802.11b and 802.11g—802.11n focuses on throughput at the MAC (media access control) interface, rather than as a signaling bit rate in the physical layer. This means the throughput rates will more likely match the highest-possible data rates, said IEEE officials, in Piscataway, N.J.
[/size]
Pages: [1]   Go Up