INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: reinstall merry go round  (Read 1567 times)

akaloka

reinstall merry go round
« on: January 06, 2004, 05:33:29 am »

i initially downloaded the trial version of media enter.  I fell in love with it and could not see how life ever existed before it, so I bought the full version.   ;D Life was musical ecstacy. Until....

<insert dramatic music score here> :o

I installed the next available update, which incidently was only a few hours after the purchase.  I think it was 9.1.  

Then strange things began to happen with my system in general. I have a Vaio (she runs on XP) so, I called Sony support several times, tried this and that, and went tech to tech to programmer even.  

Then i began having problems with MC which really shook me up.  Even if my system was wiggin' out on me, it made me feel better to open up MC and blast all my "you-lousy-no-good-pain-in-the-&^% music" while it was wiggin'.

I totally uninstalled MC and started from scratch and still it refused to work properly giving me weird messages no one could explain **see previous posts**  :'(  <insert awwwww sound wave here>

I cried and dumped and reinstalled and cried some more as I dumped again.  Meanwhile, my system was pulling an "old yeller" on me. . .getting sicker and sicker.  I called Sony again and again until they all finally decided that something had slipped my system a micky, but they couldn't tell me who did it, and they couldn't detect any known viruses (I'm safe and always use protection) The system doesn't seem to have been hacked and I've dusted her for prints -- no one's touched her but me.  Finally, Sony said all I could do was to use the ever-dreaded <que organ for the  dadada daaaaaaaaaa>  recovery disks.

"Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!  Anything but that," I cried.

"i'm sorry ma'am, but it is the only way to get your computer functional again.  I'd suggest backing up the files that you can. But after we complete the recovery, load them gradually since we can't find the cause of the problem," the super-puter-geek-sony-dude said.

I could't even use MC to back up my music, so I backed it up with Veritas (yuk).  I sniffled as the puter-guru walked me through the recovery process.  I hung up when he was confident it had gone well.  And the first place I went was to the MC site to load her again.  At least I'd have my music back!   ;D

Everything was looking good until I got my first error message in MC.    ?  I could not burn anything.  ** see previous post**

I tried to open a file a while ago, then the next one came. . . telling me to reinstall MC  "Nooooo!!!"  I tried to open another music file and the same message appeared.  
 :o

"A J River media core component failed to load the product into file.  C"\programfiles\jriver\mediacenter\data\default resources\options.xml.  Please reinstall the latest .... yada yada yada"

:'( :'( :'( :'(

I love MC and I don't want to believe it myself ... but ... looking at the big picture, the time frames of when things started going haywire, and the monitor on my desk with the MC  media core error on an otherwise recovered system that all checks out now.... Sonyman and I think......Your proggy ate my puter  :'(
Spread Aloha not viruses. Scan your files and wear a condom. Fight nicely, eat your veggies, read a good poem, and don't run with scissors.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:reinstall merry go round
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 07:01:11 am »

Did you delete the options.xml file when you reinstalled?  It sounds like it's corrupt.

When you download, DO NOT use a download manager program.

Please provide the full versions you're talking about.  Go to MC Help and do System Info and then paste it here.

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2004, 07:54:54 pm »

"A J River media core component failed to load the product into file.  C"\programfiles\jriver\mediacenter\data\default resources\options.xml.  Please reinstall the latest .... yada yada yada"

Hmmm. Sounds familiar. I got the same error message after uninstalling MC9.1 and rebooting. Since MC was not on my system at the time (theoretically), it suggests that some kind of registry key was still in place?

Almost all of my problems have gone away since I did a clean format and re-install of Win XP and MC. I *suspect* that one of the security patches from Windows Update may be causing the problem. I'm gradually installing them one by one and checking to see what happens.

Incidentally, iTunes and WinXP CD burning are coexisting happily with MC at this point.

akaloka

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2004, 12:36:10 am »

what exactly is a "clean format and reinstall".  I just used my recovery disks.
Spread Aloha not viruses. Scan your files and wear a condom. Fight nicely, eat your veggies, read a good poem, and don't run with scissors.

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2004, 12:46:47 am »

Same thing, except that I started with a regular Microsoft Windows XP CD.

Incidentally, after a couple of rounds of updates from the Microsoft Windows Update site, and after installing Theatertek DVD player, I am now back to having problems with playing DVDs and burning CDs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up