INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Summertime  (Read 1481 times)

pocket

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Summertime
« on: January 13, 2004, 05:26:37 pm »

I believe it would be a good idea for us to get to know each other by appreciating less popular music that we enjoy.  At least three times a week, I'll inform you all of the wonderous music found in my playlist, with a bit of a review.  Enjoy, and feel free to do the same.  

"Summertime" by Big Brother and the Holding Company (album: Cheap Thrills)
After introducing a soft, melodic, minor progression of very classical and jazzy roots, Janis Joplin adds in a flavorful lyrical lulliby, which in the original version is scripted into the fantastic broadway production "Porgy and Bess" by Gershwin.  The lyrics and jazzy progression are about all this fantastic piece inherits, however.  

In classic jazz style, the sonourous guitars and bass line embellish a simple melody into a complex work.  And just as it seems predictable, the mal-tuned guitars sing in disharmony almost to the point of cacaphony and an aggressive crescendo descends into the melodic introduction, leaving the listener quite satisfied.

In that era music was produced that induced emotion, and this work by Big Brother and the Holding Company is quite successful in attaining that goal.

Expect to see more reviews from this and other eras, spanning all genres, as we pray  the wonderful people at JRiver work to satisfy us with a new take to the Web Media section of our most beloved Media Center!

JollyJim

• World Citizen
Re:Summertime
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2004, 06:19:20 pm »

errrrr.......so, it is a good song or not ?

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2004, 07:09:26 pm »

Tooooo Cooool Man!  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

LisaRCT

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2004, 07:31:04 pm »

Gotta hand it to you Pocket . . .  v-e-r-y creative.
Well done!

MachineHead

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2004, 07:40:42 pm »

Big Brother. Ha! This was so smooth I almost missed it.

jleerigby

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2004, 07:26:03 am »

Wow!  That was very interesting reading.  

I think a better idea is for us all to come up with a track name for you to listen to and review.  I'll start:

Tony Christie - Is This The Way To Amarillo

(UK Board members just think Pheonix Nights, A Minibus taxi and a group of Asian Elders)
Pages: [1]   Go Up