INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Performance Problems, Newbie needs help  (Read 1406 times)

WDave

• Recent member
Performance Problems, Newbie needs help
« on: January 20, 2004, 09:45:28 pm »

Hello,

I am very new to MC (using 9.1) and so far I am not having a very good experience.  My PC is a 700Mhz P3,  256MB, running Win98.  I have imported approx 4000 APE files on a local drive.

MC seems to play the APE files fine,  but if I try any sort of navigation through the GUI,  left click on Tools for example,  MC takes at least 15 seconds to respond.   This sounds like a problem someone else posted about suggest turning off List Tool Tips.  I tried this with no luck.

In reading the forum,  it sounds like various people are having similiar issues,  but with MANY more files.  

Am I missing something basic here?

Thanks for the help.

WD

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
  • gettin' in touch with my inner child, watch out!
Re:Performance Problems, Newbie needs help
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2004, 12:08:24 am »

Hmm, well 700mhz isn't all that fast these days, although it's not all that slow either. Is it really 15 seconds? Like, you counted to 15? I used to have a 500mhz with 256ram and Win98 and things were sluggish, but not that bad. My ripping speeds were abysmal though, even after I bought a faster CD drive. After I upgraded my machine to 2ghz and 512ram and WinXP, things improved exponentially. May not be an option for you, but it it's a possibility, this might be just the excuse you need  ;D

groovedaddy

• Recent member
  • Stay still so I can hack your arm off...
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2004, 05:57:08 am »

WD,

How many things are you running in the background? Open up your task manager (ctrl+alt+del)...if you have too much going on, that might be a factor in your poor performance. I recently did a test to see what was actually there and was able to dump about half of it. A neat web site that will help decipher it all is at:
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm

Give that a go and see what happens. Good luck.

GDaddy
Still partying like it's 999.

dedidio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2004, 06:25:14 am »

I had something similar a while ago and turning off gridlines helped loads.  Don't know whether this would still help though as there have been a lot of developments since then.
http://www.theindependentstate.co.uk - Where everyone is as bored as you.

WDave

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2004, 08:22:52 am »

Thanks for the replies.

This PC is a dedicated HTPC, so if I am not using it to watch movies,  it is fully dedicated to MC.  The only tasks running are:

explorer
girder
atiptaxx
systray

I turned off girdlines.  This did not help.

It really is very slow.  Just moving the mouse between View Player Tools across the top menu,  it takes between 15 and 20 seconds (I counted) for the next menu to highlight blue.  Rarely, you can move the mouse to the new menu and it will be highlighted immediately.

WD

dedidio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2004, 12:11:10 pm »

I would say that the sticking point is possibly RAM, maybe some more would help.
http://www.theindependentstate.co.uk - Where everyone is as bored as you.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2004, 12:22:13 pm »

I would say that the sticking point is possibly RAM, maybe some more would help.
That's a very good suggestion.

If you don't have enough memory, Windows has to swap programs and data between memory and drive when you change applications or do new things.

You might be able to tell by using the task manager (alt-ctrl-delete) to eliminate as many background tasks as possible.  If you get the memory consumption down low enough, Windows might not need to swap.

Plug-ins can also use memory so try disabling these as well.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2004, 12:26:24 pm »

Grid lines don't effect performance either way anymore.

Can you try using a new, empty database to see if that makes any difference?

Also, an uninstall / reinstall might help.

MC should run fine on a 700 mhz.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

WDave

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2004, 03:16:24 pm »

One tidbit I forgot to mention is that I recently installed Musiclobby and the musiclobby plugin.  Although I am not sure,  it seems like MC was working fine prior to adding MusicLobby.  I will uninstall the plugin tonight to see if that helps.

WDave

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2004, 06:16:11 pm »

Music Lobby was the problem.  As soon as a stopped the ML server MC was running great.  Thanks for the help.

Perhaps I should start another thread,  but did I just waste $100 on MusicLobby?
Pages: [1]   Go Up