INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server (w/ v10.x Media Center) & TiVo  (Read 2505 times)

jimpmc

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Media Server (w/ v10.x Media Center) & TiVo
« on: January 24, 2004, 11:41:23 am »

I just upgraded from 9.1.316 to 10.0.43 and am also using Media Server in conjunction with TiVo.

I noticed 2 things:

1) I have a View Scheme setup as:
Album Artist (auto) - grouped 4 levels
Album Artist (auto) - grouped 1 level
Album Arist (auto)
Album

I am seeing a problem with (Multiple Artists).  If I select Others in the first menu, then on the TiVo it brings me straight to a list of all the songs from all the multiple artist albums, instead of showing me either another level of selecting (Multiple Artists) or the list of albums who are Multiple Artists.  

When I look at the Media Center panes for the same view scheme, I think part of the issue is that when you select Others in the first column, the second column goes to zero with no choices shown instead of showing Others again.  (Multiple Artists) appears in the third column.  

This behavior did not exist in 9.1.316.

2) It seemed that I use to be able to change a view scheme in Media Center, then stop and restart Media Server and the change would show up on the TiVo immediately.  Now, I either have to quit Media Center first and/or wait a few minutes before stopping and restarting seems to carry over the view scheme changes.  Is there now a delayed save in Media Center?  

3) I am getting frequent Media Server crashes on the PC when doing things like navigating back on TiVo and changing play options such as sorting.  This is occurring very frequently (approximately every 10 minutes) and is to the point that TiVo/Media Server is not usable anymore.  Playing through TiVo desktop is fine.   This is particularly a pain, since it requires accessing the PC (in different room than TiVo) and restarting Media Server.

Thanks,
-J

jimpmc

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re:Media Server (w/ v10.x Media Center) & TiVo
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 06:58:29 pm »

I updated to 10.0.48 -- there were no changes mentioned so (as expected) I am still experiencing the same issues with Media Server and TiVo.  

Is anyone else experiencing the frequent crashing?  That is the biggest showstopper for me as this did not occur with 9.1.316.  Right now, it crashes whenever I play songs and then navigate for a minute or so.  It seems to mostly happen when navigating back to the "Media Library" level where I can select Audio and Advanced.  It is during that level change that the Media Server crashes on the PC with the dialog box "Media Server generated errors and will be closed..."   It doesn't happen everytime I go back to that level, but when it does happen it tends to be at that spot.

There were no other changes to the machine other than updating from 9.1.316 to 10.0.x. (.43 initially)

-J

jimpmc

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2004, 07:38:45 pm »

Yet another update...I can consistently reproduce the crash by taking the following actions:

1) Click through the levels to reach a view scheme and a song on the TiVo.

2) Play that song.

3) Quickly and repeatedly hit the left arrow to back out to the Media Library level (as if you were going to navigate back from the Audio section to the Advanced section.)

If you do #3 and happen to hit the left arrow before the TiVo completely redraws each level's screen (this isn't that difficult to do) you wlil see a Please Wait on the TiVo screen and then Media Server will crash on the PC.  Eventually, the song will stop playing and you'll get an error message on the TiVo as well.

I can reproduce this everytime.  I have rebooted the Media Server PC several times to see if that was the culprit to no avail.

-J

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2004, 07:45:24 pm »

Hi Jim,

I missed your first post, sorry. I'll look at this tomorrow.

j

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2004, 01:13:55 pm »

Yet another update...I can consistently reproduce the crash by taking the following actions:

2) Play that song.

3) Quickly and repeatedly hit the left arrow to back out to the Media Library level (as if you were going to navigate back from the Audio section to the Advanced section.)

If you do #3 and happen to hit the left arrow before the TiVo completely redraws each level's screen (this isn't that difficult to do) you wlil see a Please Wait on the TiVo screen

I can't reproduce that here. When I hit the lift arrow too quickly, I get the deeper Boing sound (meaning error) instead of a "Please Wait" message, and everything stays running. Is your TiVo updating it's software? What version are you running?

j

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2004, 01:28:38 pm »

1) I have a View Scheme setup as:
Album Artist (auto) - grouped 4 levels
Album Artist (auto) - grouped 1 level
Album Arist (auto)
Album

If I select Others in the first menu, then on the TiVo it brings me straight to a list of all the songs from all the multiple artist albums, instead of showing me either another level of selecting (Multiple Artists) or the list of albums who are Multiple Artists.

We're working on this one.

Thanks,

j

jimpmc

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2004, 02:41:32 pm »

2) Play that song.

If you do #3 and happen to hit the left arrow before the TiVo completely redraws each level's screen (this isn't that difficult to do) you wlil see a Please Wait on the TiVo screen

I can't reproduce that here. When I hit the lift arrow too quickly, I get the deeper Boing sound (meaning error) instead of a "Please Wait" message, and everything stays running. Is your TiVo updating it's software? What version are you running?

j

Thanks for looking into these items.  

I don't believe TiVo is updating it's software...it's running 4.0.1-01-2-240 (it's an 80-hr TiVo-branded Series2).

I don't think it boings (at least most of them are the familiar 'going back' sound) when navigating from the now playing song screen back out to the Media Library level by using the left arrow.  I noticed the popup says "Hit Live TV to return to music" for the first few screens and then changes to "Please Wait" when going back from the view scheme level to the media library level.  It's at that point that Media Server crashes.

-J

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2004, 02:55:00 pm »

Re: boings. The TiVo has three sounds: a peep-peep on a rising note for going in, a peep-peep on a descending note for going out, and a much deeper boing for hitting the wrong button.

My software is the same as yours, so that's not it.

What kind of network do you have? On mine, the TiVo responds to the back commands very fast.

j

jimpmc

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2004, 03:13:34 pm »

It's the peep-peep descending (normal backout sound).  It generally responds very quickly as well, but if you repeatedly hit the left arrow without waiting for the screen to redraw as it backs out of the various levels, it crashes on my end.  For instance, with groupings I can sometimes have to go back out 6 or so screens to get back to the Media Library level from the now playing screen.  I normally just hit left-left-left-left, etc. without waiting for it to refresh the screen.  It's even happened to my wife (without trying to make it happen), so it isn't some super-fast video game key combination that I'm describing.  I can minimize (eliminate) it by consciously waiting for the screen to redraw.

Are there any logs on the PC side which might indicate what's happening?

The network is a wired Ethernet (both PC and TiVo).  I never noticed this issue with 9.1.316.  

-J
Pages: [1]   Go Up