INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adjust streaming buffer size?  (Read 2735 times)

9O3q1NJ9eyz42Jf9

• Recent member
Adjust streaming buffer size?
« on: February 06, 2004, 01:36:00 pm »

I am running MC 9.1.316, though I am willing to switch to the MC 10 beta.  Is there a way in either version to adjust the buffer size for streaming media files?

Maybe I am dense (OK, I know I'm dense), but I can't find any way.  I have issues with streaming media that I think would be resolved with a larger buffer size, hence the inquiry.

LonWar

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:Adjust streaming buffer size?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2004, 01:42:36 pm »

How about...

Tools
Options
General
Select Settings on the output...

Would that work?
-

9O3q1NJ9eyz42Jf9

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004, 01:46:24 pm »

I thought somone would suggest that (I should have mentioned it in my first post).

There are no output settings in 9.1 under Tools > Options > General, so I assume you mean Tools > Options > Playback.  I think that setting only affects output sound data, and has no affect on streaming data coming in.

pat1066

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 09:52:20 pm »

I am guessing that MC uses your versions of Real Player and Windows Media Player to play streams so you would adjust the buffers there - which you have probably already done.
But I am guessing and interested in a more informed answer!
Pat.

9O3q1NJ9eyz42Jf9

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2004, 10:27:40 pm »

I stream MP3 files pretty exclusively, so I think that would be Media Center and nothing but.  (However, I try to make a habit out of being wrong at least half the time.)

Thanks for the replies.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2004, 01:14:05 am »

You can force a larger buffer by picking a really long cross-fade.

This isn't configurable because it doesn't normally matter.  You can either have long chunks of music and long pauses or shorter chunks of music and shorter pauses.  One isn't clearly better.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

9O3q1NJ9eyz42Jf9

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2004, 01:16:21 am »

I'm pretty sure you misunderstood what I was asking, no doubt because I worded it poorly.

What I was interested in wasn't the output buffer, but rather the incoming data buffer for streaming media files.  You know, the buffer that would help prevent interruptions if the stream server got bogged down for a moment, or if the Internet connection burped briefly for some other reason?

In Winamp, you edit the configuration for the input MP3 plugin, and set the size of the "streaming data buffer" accordingly.  I can't find a corresponding setting in Media Center 9.1 or 10.
Pages: [1]   Go Up